Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget pc for music prod.

Options
  • 13-11-2009 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hey all!

2nd year student on a limited budget aiming to being the process of assembling a home recording studio.

An older brother has done it (successfully) but is no longer in the country so i have only hand me downs to work with...

I have a quite decent pc at home but is a family pc and I know my family won't appreciate me taking over another room full with musical garb of every nature so i want to find out what the communitys suggestions about what pc/laptop is ideal for my needs.

I already have an old version of reason, have all necessary guitars piano etc 4 my purposes...all i need now pretty much is just either a decent laptop/pc and a midi keyboard really(as brother has absconded with his :D)

Also any suggestions as weather to get a pc/laptop or mac is much appreciated.
    thanks for reading !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

If you are using Reason then 2 gigs of ram should be fine, you could always build a pc like this one below for next to nothing. You could buy an Apple G5 second hand for €500. Apple are very reliable and stable but then again if you like tweeking then a PC will do just fine. I would suggest a laptop for Reason so you can make music on the move. What is your budget?
    BudgetPC1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

around €500 but i think my part time job is on the line (place i work is closing down it seems) so i might have to suspend buying this stuff

however we'll pretend its not and everything is hunky dory :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I'm a dyed in the wool Mac user, but I'd suggest for a small budget a cheap PC that you can upgrade as you go. The Reaper DAW is great too and only 60dollah! (free to download and "try" as long as you want too!) And there's so many free VST's out there that you shouldn't need to buy one for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

thanks for the replys guys ....as it stands i hav an interface + equipment sorted out.....so now i start on the long journey of saving for a a desktop ideally!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

To be honest, if you are just starting out, a dirt cheap Pentium 4 with 2 gig of memory would be fine, and would probably cost about 50 quid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement