Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Way To Study Different Subjects?

Options
  • 13-11-2009 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hey ,

I thought I would start a topic where people can put down tips on how to study for certain subjects..

For languages I do listening every day , and then i write down all the words i didnt understand to learn them off...

Sorry if this seems like a stupid topic , sometimes people have really good suggestions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭irishultra

for french i just watch french movies.....good 'study' alright.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

only spend max 30 mins on any one subject or ul get bored easily.. keep changing it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭irishultra

lol 30 minutes on a subject, no way. what i do is just spend about 1.15-1.30 on a subject when studyin. its the only way that works for me. i wouldnt get in enough info in a half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

irishultra wrote: »
    lol 30 minutes on a subject, no way. what i do is just spend about 1.15-1.30 on a subject when studyin. its the only way that works for me. i wouldnt get in enough info in a half an hour.

You're better off breaking it up, because after about 30-40 minutes, your brain starts to switch off, and the study isn't really any way effective. Even if you do want to keep going with the one subject, you should really take a break for 5 - 10 minutes, so that you can concentrate better for the whole time, rather than slowing down after a little while :)

I found doing exam questions was the easiest way to learn, as opposed to making endless notes on things. I'd particularly recommend doing as many of the Biology, Geography and Business exam questions as possible rather than reading/note making/whatever you do, because the exams are pretty much the same year in, year out, and once you get used to answering (basically) the questions repeatedly, it pretty much becomes ingrained in your brain.

The only way to really learn maths is to do questions. I'd say learn forumlae (it was constantly drilled into us last year, so it's just automatic to suggest it...) but I think most of them are in the new tables? I dunno, I haven't seen 'em.

Reading books which are completely unrelated to LC stuff (ie, novels and whatnot) will improve your marks in English Paper One, as will practicing essay/short story writing (whichever you prefer yourself, really). The more you read/write, the better the flow in your English, and usually the better your essay/general writing will be. (I'm not one to advocate learning off essays, particularly for paper one :)).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

This is a pretty big concern for me. I really only study chemistry and maths, because I always have had trouble with those two, but know it seems that while I'm improving well in them my other subjects which I used to be ok with are suffering pretty badly, I mean I've never ever studied applied maths once other than the night before my summer test last year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

irishultra wrote: »
    for french i just watch french movies.....good 'study' alright.:cool:
    good idea, does it work? i do the same thing with gaa on tg4 :p
    does anyone know of any good spanish movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

For English - learn very general quotes from the poems and play that can fit in a load of places. Have good reading retention for the book.

History - mind maps worked very well for me. There are so many people. places and things to remember that mapping it out really helped me.

Classical Studies - teach yourself to have good reading retention and teach yourself to write a load of essays in the few hours you have.

(ordinary) french - Do the papers and tape test over and over and over again and you'll do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Spanish Movies , all pedro almodovar's movies are great , anything with Penelope Cruz :)

I would recommend Volver , Y Tu Mama Tambien , Pans Labyrinth , I have seen loads so il let u know if any more come to mind...

you can also watch mainstream movies in Spanish... I did it when i was on an exchange and it helped loads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 donam321

am biology i find the best way is just to keep t past questions same wi busniess... spanish i find listing and writing it out is helpful... religion is ta jus keep reading add in own veiws ect english ie=s to red over notes requlary

Advertisement