Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractor Unit To a Trailer

Options
  • 12-11-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hello.

I just need some information on connecting a trailer to a tractor unit. i had a very bad experience with it once before. i connected a trailer to my lorry and the trailer disconnected from the trator unit while driveing. i dont no why but now i use my safety clip. thank god this didnt happen at a high speed it could of been a nightmare :o.

anyway iv bought a new tractor unit and its a diffreant set up than my other one, there is no safety clip on it. its a 00 daf 85 cf older model 430. im afraid to connect a trailer to it atm from my last experience.

How do i know if its safe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭gogs2006

DarrenGT4 wrote: »
    i connected a trailer to my lorry and the trailer disconnected from the trator unit while driveing. i dont no why but now i use my safety clip. thank god this didnt happen at a high speed it could of been a nightmare :o.

anyway iv bought a new tractor unit and its a diffreant set up than my other one, there is no safety clip on it. its a 00 daf 85 cf older model 430. im afraid to connect a trailer to it atm from my last experience.

Are you serious???

If you have had experience coupling trailers you should know that a new clip can be fitted in less than 10 mins

You should be no where near a lorry if your unable to couple a trailer in a safe and secure manner

Stick with the diecasts;) the carpet burns can be nasty though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

gogs2006 wrote: »
    Are you serious???

If you have had experience coupling trailers you should know that a new clip can be fitted in less than 10 mins

You should be no where near a lorry if your unable to couple a trailer in a safe and secure manner

You DO realise there are folks who'll only drive a tractor/trailer a handful of times each year, don't you? Did it cross your mind that maybe Darren doesn't spend his working life coupling and uncoupling trailers?

Do you actually have anything constructive to add here, or are smart arse comments your only demonstrable ability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

gogs2006 wrote: »
    Are you serious???

You, have manners.
    Hello.

I just need some information on connecting a trailer to a tractor unit. i had a very bad experience with it once before. i connected a trailer to my lorry and the trailer disconnected from the trator unit while driveing. i dont no why but now i use my safety clip. thank god this didnt happen at a high speed it could of been a nightmare :o.

I am not sure what you mean by safety clip. A lot of fifth wheels just have a small pivoting bracket that drops down when the main handle moves in. This can only happen when the jaws are closed on the fifth wheel.

The best thing to do is to back your unit up to the trailer, then get out and check the height of the unit, make sure it is level with the plate on the trailer or better still just a little bit higher.

Check the handle for the fifth wheel is full pulled out and locked out. Do this by moving it forward until it engages the grove on the handle

Back in until you think you are about to hook up and get out and check again.

Then hook up by backing in slowly til you hear the clunk. Get out again and check the handle has moved in fully.

The before you do anything else, put the truck in gear and without connecting the susies or lifting the legs attempt to pull forward. This will assure you that it is fully locked in and won't come off. If it does it will just drop down on to the legs and do no damage.

One other point, I am assuming there is air suspension on the tractor unit, when disconnecting pull out of the pin, but before you come out from under the trailer, dump the air in the bags, this will save you buying a new step of mudguards!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

As slidey said have the unit slightly higher than trailer and after the click try to pull forward with the susies off ( this means the trailer brakes should be on unless air tank empty and trailer does not have spring brakes). If you are still not happy go to rear of unit with torch and look at fifth wheel jaws the bar should be accross blocking the pin.I did a lot of shunting in my day and remember backing under a trailer that seemed to be ok but it wasn't. Lucky I checked. Drove another truck that had a habit of the jaws snapping closed before the pin was in giving the impression you had coupled up. The air suspension makes it handy these days for coupling. It only takes a couple of seconds to check, ignore the smart arses, trucks do not always perform the way they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The reason I always check so thoroughly is because I went in too low one day and as the pin dropped in front of the fifth wheel I thought I was locked in. Went to pull forward and no movement.

It was only when I was hooking up the susies that I saw my mistake. Very lucky the pin was at the very front of the trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DarrenGT4

Slidey wrote: »
    You, have manners.

I am not sure what you mean by safety clip. A lot of fifth wheels just have a small pivoting bracket that drops down when the main handle moves in. This can only happen when the jaws are closed on the fifth wheel.

The best thing to do is to back your unit up to the trailer, then get out and check the height of the unit, make sure it is level with the plate on the trailer or better still just a little bit higher.

Check the handle for the fifth wheel is full pulled out and locked out. Do this by moving it forward until it engages the grove on the handle

Then hook up by backing in slowly til you hear the clunk. Get out again and check the handle has moved in fully.

The before you do anything else, put the truck in gear and without connecting the susies or lifting the legs attempt to pull forward. This will assure you that it is fully locked in and won't come off. If it does it will just drop down on to the legs and do no damage.

One other point, I am assuming there is air suspension on the tractor unit, when disconnecting pull out of the pin, but before you come out from under the trailer, dump the air in the bags, this will save you buying a new step of mudguards!

Cheers for the Comment. i was tryng it out there today. i connected the trailer and tryed to drive forward and it would'nt move.

i think the problem was the last time i connected the trailer i had my 2.5tonne moffet on the back of the trailer, when im driveing my lorry with the moffet and without a load. my trailer isint properly balenced which means that the front of the trailer is very light, and lifts up from the fifth wheel.
    Now i just put up an extra bit on the load for my return trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Who made the 5th wheel Darren, yost, bigD, LaFontaine, a.n. other?

Please check the wear on the jaws as they wear. If the t/unit passed it's annual DOE recently, the condition of the 5th wheel should have been checked for slap etc.

If you are in or around my area, I've no problem looking at it for you.... even if it is a Daf!! ;)

PM sent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Slidey wrote: »

Spot on Slidey - just like my Daddy showed.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

i think the problem was the last time i connected the trailer i had my 2.5tonne moffet on the back of the trailer, when im driveing my lorry with the moffet and without a load. my trailer isint properly balenced which means that the front of the trailer is very light, and lifts up from the fifth wheel.

The moffet shouldn't really cause this to happen Darren. What's the condition of the pin on the trailer? Any wear? It should have been checked in the DOE test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭gogs2006

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    You DO realise there are folks who'll only drive a tractor/trailer a handful of times each year, don't you? Did it cross your mind that maybe Darren doesn't spend his working life coupling and uncoupling trailers?

Do you actually have anything constructive to add here, or are smart arse comments your only demonstrable ability?

I'am sorry if i came across as being a smart ass but i honestly believe that no one should be asking for help with something as serious as coupling trailers on the internet.

If the OP is having trouble with coupling he should be shown by means of a visual demonstration in person in a safe and secure manner by an experienced driver and should then repeat the coupling procedure while being observed.

I have seen the consequences of trailers leaving unsecure fifth wheels and i would'nt wish it on anyone

• Advertisement
Advertisement