Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in bicycle lanes.

Options
  • 12-11-2009 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Anyone of you drive in bicycle lanes? I always see guy's doing this but I'm not too sure of the legality of it. Anyone ever pulled for driving in it? Is it like the bus lane where it's a safer place to be? I haven't done it yet but F**K it looks tempting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Full white lines, get out!
    Broken white lines then work away, nobody is stopping you.

I suppose the main thing is don't filter up a cycle lane and then get blocked as your bike is too wide.
    The cyclists following you won't be happy.

Or follow a cyclist down a cycle lane and hug their back wheel while revving the engine, it's pure intimidation

But other then that I've no issue with it and I've certainly used cycle lanes on my motorcyle or moped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

bad place to be imo, I'd stay out of them regardless

cars do not expect you to be there, and car passengers use mirrors even less then drivers - car door in the face = ow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

wouldnt go into them meself. Bikers are always giving out about cars doing what they want, why should bikes be any different. Cycle lane should be cyclists only. Imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

I only use it as a last resort when filtering and can't make it up the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

mikemac wrote: »
    Full white lines, get out!
    Broken white lines then work away, nobody is stopping you.

Not true. The continuous line means the cyclist must stay in the lane. A broken line means the cyclist can ride outside the cycle lane if they wish. Legally, no motor vehicle can enter any cycle lane... but...then again, dunno, it probably depends on plod's mood if they see you.. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Alkers

bigred wrote: »
    Not true. The continuous line means the cyclist must stay in the lane. A broken line means the cyclist can ride outside the cycle lane if they wish. Legally, no motor vehicle can enter any cycle lane... but...then again, dunno, it probably depends on plod's mood if they see you.. :cool:
    Pretty sure he's right and you're wrong. Cyclist has to stay in the lane at all times, broken white line other vehicles can enter it, hence continious lines become broken where road narrows etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That's completely and utterly wrong I'm afraid.

Solid line = do not put the wheel of your car into the lane.
    Broken line = You may drive partially in the line (presumably when the road is narrow etc)

This was clarified by a few different Gardaí on another thread, didnt post in it so damned if I can find it now.
    Or follow a cyclist down a cycle lane and hug their back wheel while revving the engine, it's pure intimidation

But other then that I've no issue with it and I've certainly used cycle lanes on my motorcyle or moped.

You really shouldn't be allowed to drive anything with an engine if that's your attitude tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

sdonn wrote: »
    That's completely and utterly wrong I'm afraid.

Solid line = do not put the wheel of your car into the lane.
    Broken line = You may drive partially in the line (presumably when the road is narrow etc)

This was clarified by a few different Gardaí on another thread, didnt post in it so damned if I can find it now.

You really shouldn't be allowed to drive anything with an engine if that's your attitude tbh.
    I dont think he meant he does that. I took it up as he was agreeing with cyclists and just used that as an example. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

seanybiker wrote: »
    I dont think he meant he does that. I took it up as he was agreeing with cyclists and just used that as an example. Could be wrong.

On a re-reading yeah you have a point. He still shouldn't be using the lanes though, although I do think bus lanes should be open to anything with less than 4 wheels because it's just plain safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Here's a link to the rules of the road. The only non-pushbike vehicle allowed in them is a powered wheelchair. Don't know where this would be in the road traffic act, but if it's in the rules of the road I'd take it as what to follow
    http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/pedal-cyclist.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Here's a link to the rules of the road. The only non-pushbike vehicle allowed in them is a powered wheelchair. Don't know where this would be in the road traffic act, but if it's in the rules of the road I'd take it as what to follow
    http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/pedal-cyclist.html

Ahh the rules of the road. A mix of various badly thought out rules which are followed by no-one actually driving and have little to no legislation to back them up in courts.

I use them when they are broken white lines as they are not a designated cycle lane but rather shared roadspace. But I drive slow, very slow when I do as the amount of people that will wander in front of you is worse then between cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Wouldn't go into them myself, bus lanes are fair game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I use them in certain places for filtering slowly, such as along he canals. These were installed with no regard for bikers. IE you have a road with certain width, fit two cycle lanes either side, the road gets narrower, leaving no gap along the center median to filter. It becomes dangerous for us. When it pi*sses rain you are like a fool stuck behind traffic. Go for it in these cases. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

sdonn wrote: »

You misread my post, I was giving examples of what the OP on the motorcycle should not do.

One was blocking cyclists and the other was intimidating them.

And yet, you thought I'd post on a motorcycle forum that it's ok to intimadate cyclists? :confused:
    seanybiker wrote: »

Yep, thanks seany

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Very few cycle lanes in Galway but I wouldn't use them either way. As most cyclists are in an iPod generated vegetative stage I avoid them almost as carefully as I avoid gombeen pedestians.

I use bus lanes all the time though.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

reece wrote: »
    I only use it as a last resort when filtering and can't make it up the middle.

+1

I've got reprimanded a few times from the plod for going up the inside. I'm presuming it's illegal to filter on the inside as it's effectively overtaking on the inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Death Traps IMHO. Cars have absolute no problem pulling to the left to undertake a turning car ahead without looking, to pull over to let a passanger out or to pull over and take a phone call. Cars are not used to vehicles travelling at a greater speed than they are on their left.

If a car hears a siren ahead and your in the cycle lane you better hold your breath cause your deffo going to get squashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

jameshayes wrote: »
    ...If a car hears a siren ahead and your in the cycle lane you better hold your breath cause your deffo going to get squashed.

lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Death Traps IMHO. Cars have absolute no problem pulling to the left to undertake a turning car ahead without looking, to pull over to let a passanger out or to pull over and take a phone call. Cars are not used to vehicles travelling at a greater speed than they are on their left.

If a car hears a siren ahead and your in the cycle lane you better hold your breath cause your deffo going to get squashed.

Agreed. It's just not safe.

IF I were to use the bicycle lane, it would only be when all vehicles are stationary in traffic, and I could see a clear path to the lights/junction.

Also, the only time you can legally undertake another vehicle is if they have indicated that they are turning right and you are proceeding straight or turning left ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i don't drive in the cycle lanes
    bus lanes are fair agme but watch the cops they cxan get tetchy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

Too dodgy imo.
    Cagers just don't expect something to be traveling quickly on their inside.
    Pedestrians like to jump out also!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I could filter down the canal with cars both ways along the canal. And I was on a big H-D. I had to pause here and there, but safer. Entering a cycle lane like some old people on scooters do is not really safe as a car isn't looking, and looks noobish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

+1

I've got reprimanded a few times from the plod for going up the inside. I'm presuming it's illegal to filter on the inside as it's effectively overtaking on the inside?

True, mate of mine got told off also - accused of undertaking even though traffic was stopped at lights. I just do it when there's no cops around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A cycle lane is for pushbikes and not motorbikes.

A motorbike of any sort shouldnt be in 1,if you get nicked by the gardai for it then good enough for you and tough luck.

Simple as that and end of.

Motorbike courriers are the worlds worst for this and think that they can muscle/intimidate cyclists out of the way by comming into the cycle lanes at traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

reece wrote: »
    True, mate of mine got told off also - accused of undertaking even though traffic was stopped at lights. I just do it when there's no cops around

The law states that you can pass a car on the left if traffic is moving slowly or stopped. Nothing specific about filtering.

And told off and prosecuted are two very different things. I have been told off for a lot of things, bring me to court is a different ballgame.

If a cycle lane has broken white lines it is only shared road space. Any motor vehicle can enter it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

paddy147 wrote: »

A motorbike of any sort shouldnt be in 1,if you get nicked by the gardai for it then good enough for you and tough luck.

Motorbike courriers are the worlds worst for this and think that they can muscle/intimidate cyclists out of the way by comming into the cycle lanes at traffic lights.

bike couriers aren't looking to move anyone were just in a hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

paddy147 wrote: »

Likewise cyclists should not be cycling in the center of the road. They should be no more then half a meter from the curb , NOT in the center of the road(more importantly not in my way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I use them in certain places for filtering slowly, such as along he canals. These were installed with no regard for bikers. IE you have a road with certain width, fit two cycle lanes either side, the road gets narrower, leaving no gap along the center median to filter. It becomes dangerous for us. When it pi*sses rain you are like a fool stuck behind traffic. Go for it in these cases. :)
    I use that one too sometimes, usually plenty of room in the cycle lanes.
    I suppose the main thing is don't filter up a cycle lane and then get blocked as your bike is too wide.
    The cyclists following you won't be happy.

I use the same rules. Don't drive up the arse of a cyclist revving the engine. Give them plenty of space and definitely don't try and pass them in the cycle lane!
    I always take a look up the cycle lane to see if it's blocked. If it's not, go for it. I always use cycle lanes! I cycle too, and believe me, other cyclists piss me off a lot more than the odd motorcycle. I've never had a problem with a motorcycle while cycling.

I think it's safer than passing on the right. Lots of cars turning right or doing a u-turn just look ahead and make their turn without looking, as long as no traffic is coming towards them. Where they actually look to the left for cyclists.

Advertisement