Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of extensions?, please help

Options
  • 12-11-2009 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all

I have planning for a 55sqm extension in south wicklow. Was wondering dose anyone know how much i would be looking at cost wise? 27.5sqm downstairs and 27.5sqm upstairs over an exsisting room, walls are structured to allow for another floor.

Would it be cheaper and easier to self build or can anyone recommend a builder?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DS Plumbing

I Can recommend you a builder,PM me for details

<SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 minark

hi
    I can also recommend good builder pm me if you want a contact number

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ken12

Hi all, I am also building a similar extension, two story 44sqm in total onto 3 bed semi in Limerick, can anyone recommend a good builder. Please PM me if you do, thanks in advance....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

I've seen a frequent guide of €100/ sq ft or €1000 / sq m, but unless we know more about how the extension is to be built, there's no way to advise you further.

Unless you have building industry experience, getting a good builder and a good architect or other professional on board to supervise them won't be the cheapest way to go but it'll be the sanest. Self-building can turn into a real mess if you don't know what you're up to. I work in architecture and have construction experience, and would probably still hire a builder to save myself the headache of managing the construction process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

My guide price around Dublin would be same as above - for builder finish excluding fittings and finishes . UP to 07 costs were typically FINISHING i.e. ( when client discretionary spends on bathrooms , kitchens , timber floors , stone tiling and the throwing-in-after-star-of-works of a decent job of external works ) costs were more like €2200 m2 +

Now even in this climate I would expect no more a fall back in prices than 20~25% . Any more than that and I would question the viability of the project

1. the builder may start - but not finish the works due to underpricing
    2. the quality of the works and / or compliance with regulations would be at the very least - suspect

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

I have just finished working on a 27m2 extension in dublin and including structure, flat room trocal finish, external windows and doors dansk type, timber flooring cost is working out €2300/m2 finished

there is no kitchen in the price

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lady P

Hi

We are in the process of looking at a 25m2 extension and an attic conversion. Excluding kitchen, wardrobes can anyone offer some estimates? A friend mentioned she'd gotten a quote of €30k for a similar job. Does this seem realistic or way off the mark?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

There's not enough information to even hazard a guess. What size is the attic, knee wall height? Roof pitch? Collar height? is there work to be done on the floor? is all wiring condueted? what is the current insulation state? etc., etc., etc.

As I mentioned before, its impossible to say how much an extension will cost just based on area. It doesn't work like that. Please let the people in this forum know more about the following:

1) What type of construction? Block? Timber? Carbon fibre??
    2) How do you plan on insulating, and to what u-value?
    3) what kind of windows are going in? How many windows?
    4) How is it going to be clad? Render? Timber? Dry-vit? Bottle caps?
    5) What kind of floors do you want?

Get where I'm going here? Everything that goes into a building has a different cost, and the only way to know what your extension will cost is to know how you plan on making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lady P

Thanks for the quick replies! Am new to all of this but here is some information relating to the downstairs extension of 25m2, I obviously have a lot of work to do re getting my information together for the attic conversion so will post seperately.

1) What type of construction? Block Construction
    2) How do you plan on insulating, and to what u-value? TBC currently looking at options, any suggestions on which is most cost effective?
    3) what kind of windows are going in? How many windows? Double glazed - 2 windows, one set of double doors and 2 velux windows.
    4) How is it going to be clad? Render? Timber? Dry-vit? Bottle caps? Render finish.
    5) What kind of floors do you want? Have budgeted extra for flooring, which will be tiles.

We have friends who will look after all electrical work and painting.

Some very loose estimates would be appreciated before I start approaching builders to get quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Have a look here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055648412

Personally I think the idea of using bottle caps to clad a wall is crazy

:cool:

soldsold wrote: »
    Personally I think the idea of using bottle caps to clad a wall is crazy

it was meant to lighten the mood, my apologies. I had a long day and it came off as quite the opposite :-/ Sorry about that.

I was wondering if anyone would take my post re bottle caps seriously

Gotcha...

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

soldsold wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone would take my post re bottle caps seriously

Gotcha...

:eek:
    Banned for trolling..

ok

;)

Should have said Gotcha...:)

Since I have been banned (you almost got me...:)) I have had more time on my hands so have been able to add up the cost of my 200mm cavity wall. The total cost has come out at around 77 euro per m2 for the external cavity wall including wall ties, pumped insulation, DPC, Lintols, sand, cement, plasticiser, labour etc for my 250m2 extension but doesnt include the cost of pressing sea shells into the napped finish before it sets.

I am getting some external insulation work done to the original house Im extending and the quotes for external insulation and render (NSAI and SEI approved using the weber system) have been from 70 euro plus vat upwards to 120 euro plus vat.

So I calc the externally insulated wall could be built for around 100 euro per m2 plus vat if the lowest quotes were taken up.

As a guide, its cost around 60k to build a 250m2 extension to roof level but this includes a very high spec of 300mm floor insulation, 9 inch rafters with 60mm softboard on a 430m2 roof, 225mm wall cavity.

My budget for the complete renovation is around 200,000 maybe with 10% contingency if needed but I hope it wont.

Hope this is of some use...

Steve

Advertisement