Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to level a floor

Options
  • 12-11-2009 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi People,

I'm in the process of 'doing up' our 80 year old new house.

After pulling up the carpets the concrete floor which is only about 4 years old because they underpinned the house , is all over the place.

The depth by the door is hall level less 25mm

The depth at the middle of the room is like 50mm less.

Can anyone advise me on how best to level this floor.

Thanks

OB1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

1. Remove the existing floor and pour a new one.
    2. Very heavy scabble on the existing floor and a new screed over.
    3. A few layers of self levelling compound (I doubt if this will make up your difference though).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I used a crowd of tilers once that built up a floor with 50mm of self leveling compound. I cannot remember the crowd but the compound was by larsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭d o'c

Have you thought about ripping up the old floor, laying battens level, say 2X2s
    insulate between battens,
    ply over,
    finish with carpet etc…

warmer than concrete screed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 OB1CAN

d o'c wrote: »
    Have you thought about ripping up the old floor, laying battens level, say 2X2s
    insulate between battens,
    ply over,
    finish with carpet etc…

warmer than concrete screed.

Thanks doc

The room is 15' x 15'. Could I just order some cement and pour into the room and level off. I was hoping to put down a laminate flooring over the level surface.

I'm trying to get into the house for Xmas.....

Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

OB1CAN wrote: »
    Thanks doc

The room is 15' x 15'. Could I just order some cement and pour into the room and level off. I was hoping to put down a laminate flooring over the level surface.

I'm trying to get into the house for Xmas.....

Any tips?

If you only have room for a tiny skim in places, it wouldnt be a good idea to try screeding it with sand cement as it will tend to crack away very soon. If its 25mm low at the door, you could check to see if its low right around the room. If so, you could consider leveling it to about 10 to 15mm below hall level using a leveling compound therefore leaving room for the laminate floor. If you intend to do the wood flooring in the hall too, well this wont work.
    I think first things first, work out how bad it is around the walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 OB1CAN

mickdw wrote: »
    If you only have room for a tiny skim in places, it wouldnt be a good idea to try screeding it with sand cement as it will tend to crack away very soon. If its 25mm low at the door, you could check to see if its low right around the room. If so, you could consider leveling it to about 10 to 15mm below hall level using a leveling compound therefore leaving room for the laminate floor. If you intend to do the wood flooring in the hall too, well this wont work.
    I think first things first, work out how bad it is around the walls.

Thanks for that Mick,

I might give the self levelling compound at bash...

Advertisement