Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising The Roof of a House Hydraulically

Options
  • 12-11-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Sorry I had mistakenly posted this in the Arch. Tech. Forum earlier

Hi lads,

I currently live in a 1400sq.m bungalow with a concrete tile hipped roof. The attic / roof is a cut roof structure with one large open space. Ideal for a couple of extra rooms if I want to extend up into the attic - only the collar tie is at eye level. I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a method of lifting the existing roof structure, possibly hydraulically, to get extra height.

I've only come across american companies who do this, and even then its only commercial buildings.

I'm sure if you managed to put in a steel frame around the eaves to stop the roof spreading, cut all wallplate ties, attached pipework etc and then either winch it out with a crane or raise it hydraulically you could then build up the walls by a three courses of blockwork and set the existing roof back in place with new wallplate, ties etc. Does this sound possible to anyone or am I just over the top on this? Would it even be finacially viable to pursue this option?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭d o'c

It might be possible , but can’t see it being financially viable

How much height between collar tie and ridgeboard?

Could you not consult an engineer or experienced roofer, and look into attaching higher collar ties, maintaining triangulation, then removing the original collar ties. Assuming there is sufficient headroom if the originals are removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

The ridge is only at about 2.2m over floor level, To make this space liveable I'd really need a bit of extra height. I'm definitely gonna get this method priced up anyway, it would be interesting to compare it against stripping back the roof altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭metalscrubber

A good friend of mine had the same issue - existing roof line too low to put rooms in the attic.
    What he did - rather what his builder did - was build a new roof above the existing roof and when it was finished they removed the existing roof and built up the walls to wallplate level.
    It worked well. Nothing below ceiling level was disturbed in any way. The family didn't have to move out during the job and the house functioned as if nothing was happpening until they put the new stairs in.

Hope this helps

Metal

Advertisement