Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julie Feeney

Options
  • 12-11-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

is amazing.

I realise most of you probably won't have heard of her, or at least won't know her stuff, but I'm urging people to check it out. I think she's the most underrated artist, possibly ever. That's right.

Here's my favourite song form her new album:

and the most acclaimed song from her first, although it's not my favourite:

No this isn't a plug, and I don't work for her, I've just been obsessed with her stuff for ages, and have yet to come across someone who knows/likes her apart from people I've introduced to her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Goldstar101

I think in the last few months with her Late Late and Off the Rails apperance that she is becoming more of house hold name.
    Here is my favourite track off her new album...

Love is a Tricky Thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnntYihRYo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Her songs wouldn't be my thing but they're not badly put together. Personally I think she's a bit too self-consciously 'quirky' though. The house on the head while on the Late Late irritated the sh*te out of me.

Here is my favourite track off her new album...

Love is a Tricky Thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnntYihRYo

Is that the video you directed by any chance? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Personally I think she's a bit too self-consciously 'quirky' though.

I don't think she's trying to be quirky, I think she's actually just a bit cracked, and that's what makes her so good.

:p an entertaining thought but no. I am afraid I just love the ending where she pulls all the props out of her bag at the beach.. I was a huge fan of Bewitched when I was younger so I love the effects.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

As an educator Feeney has worked at primary, secondary, university and professional development level in music and mainstream education. A qualified primary teacher she has designed and facilitated workshops all over Ireland, in the U.S. and in Brazil and has published 3 music education CD ROMs. She lectured in music education at university level for three years.
    Talent to burn from the looks of it. Heard the Impossibly Beautiful song on R1 about two months ago and have been hearing it all over ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

her music is a little boring and repetitive at times tho
    sounds like some screaching cats the rest of the time
    have her first album, wont be buying another

conno16 wrote: »
    In my opinion her music is a little boring and repetitive at times tho
    To me it sounds like some screaching cats the rest of the time
    have her first album, wont be buying another

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't think she's trying to be quirky, I think she's actually just a bit cracked, and that's what makes her so good.

Surely talent, not affectations, would be what makes someone good?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Surely talent, not affectations, would be what makes someone good?

I mean that her being a bit mental makes her music much more different and interesting than others.

I wish I could abate your desire to decorate your life
    I wish I could abate your fear
    The little fire inside you is much bigger there’s a,
    a little fire inside you.

Just dream, just dream.
    You’ll see, you’ll see

Just stay, just wait

You’ll see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hollyg'lightly

Shes great!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I have to say I have never gotten into her stuff...she gigs around Galway here a bit and I guess I don't get it because i feel she overdoes the quirkiness..I take my hat off to anyone who can play so many instruments and find ways to be creative through song and dance but it isn't my cuppa tea at all.

Found the late late performance very unenjoyable. The hat? She walked arounf Galway a few months ago in a dress made from music sheets but it rained and they all went soggy. I am open to different styles and tastes but Julie Feeney..whilst recognising she is talented...nope, not for me..

1224247946731_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Why is she naked in all her videos?

Why is she naked in all her videos?

'Cos she's a babe.

You didn’t recognise the magic in your life till life’s nudge knocked to shock you
    Thirty days and nights full of cement inside, a crying feast emotion cocktail.
    Limbs broken but moving the hurt-shell still hopeful you file it all under bewildered
    Significances cling to ordinary things, peculiar superstitious comforts

Challenging times straining the head, puzzling the heart, a tumbling head
    Puzzling days, puzzling dreams, treading water just to try to breathe
    Get out of the world, get out of the dreams, and get out of the place, out of the anxiety
    Out of the head, out of the sleeping, a weak kind of rage, get out of the dreaming

Time for thrills without the big dreams, reality reminds of Tolstoy’s themes
    Torment rips around the being but funnily life feels too good to believe him
    Life’s unexpected nudge has come and, can’t blame anyone,
    Life’s unexpected nudge has come, you can’t let it keep you down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

Saw her in the Pavilion in Cork a few weeks ago, great show and great artist, check her out!! I do think she was a bit caught out for the second encore, she played a song she played earlier again:) I'll forgive her though, really is worth going to or getting he most recent CD. I read her album sleeve when I got it and she put some effort into this album!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Heard Impossibly Beautiful when she performed on the Late Late. I was sitting in a different room to the tv but I found it really annoying and repetitive.
    That said, I haven't heard too much of her output so wouldn't write her off on that basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gemma21

Julie Feeney's 2nd album is musically sublime, I wasn't AS mad about the first. She's clearly scarily talented there's no doubt; she composed all of the orchestra music and conducted the orchestra on the album and sings brilliantly. I personally don't think she even needs the theatricality because of the brilliance of the music, but when I saw her live she presented a bloody fine show, and a fun show, with many non-theatrical parts also, just 'music'. The atmosphere was incredible. She really delivers.

As regards the house on her head, she told us at the show that it's part of the artwork on her album sleeve, (which I discovered she assembled herself) and all the visual and theatrical stuff ties in with the album completely. David Bowie, Kate Bush, Bjork, all have visual sides to their presentation and Julie Feeney also has a very theatrical background so it all makes sense when you see her perform. She's definitely, possibly, the most talented artist to emerge from Ireland, possibly so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Just hearing julie feeney for the first time now. I'm really liking her i have to say, best irish act i've heard in a while. Where is she from?

• Advertisement

TheBandit wrote: »
    Just hearing julie feeney for the first time now. I'm really liking her i have to say, best irish act i've heard in a while. Where is she from?

Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

I've been listening the latest album for the last few weeks, absolutely brilliant stuff and by far my favourite of 2009.

From what I've read in this thread, think I might skip seeing her live though, that kind of 'quirkyness' isn't exactly my cup of tea.

ccosgrave wrote: »
    From what I've read in this thread, think I might skip seeing her live though, that kind of 'quirkyness' isn't exactly my cup of tea.

What do you mean by the quirkyness?

At Electric Picnic she just put on a solid show, playing most of the Pages songs with about 15 orchestral musicians, nothing wierd or quirky, just really great.

Advertisement