Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Down? (plus support numbers not working)

Options
  • 12-11-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Noticed last night when I went to check my mail that I couldn't connect to the net. This was about 11.30pm but to be honest hadn't been online since 7 so could have gone anytime in between. Still can't connect today and now find that none of their support numbers listed work. Get a message (sounds like the eircom guy) saying the number you have dialed cannot accept this call, please hang up and try again later. What the hell does that mean? All the numbers start with the same extension, 0845 2470001 is the tech support one.

So can't connect to the net and can't call them. Anyone else having problems, is their whole network down or something?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You appear to be looking at the UK version of their website.

0845 is a UK number so you won';t be able to call it from Ireland unless you add +44 and drop the 0 and pay international dial rates :)

Try 1890 926 111 instead,
    (I've just tested it and it works fine :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Seems to be up

PING 193.1.193.0 (193.1.193.0): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 193.1.236.2: icmp_seq=55990 ttl=250 time=30.4 ms
    64 bytes from 193.1.236.2: icmp_seq=55303 ttl=250 time=30.4 ms
    64 bytes from 193.1.236.2: icmp_seq=55585 ttl=250 time=30.7 ms
    64 bytes from 193.1.236.2: icmp_seq=56478 ttl=250 time=30.9 ms

--- 193.1.193.0 ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 30.4/30.6/30.9 ms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

DamoKen wrote: »
    Noticed last night when I went to check my mail that I couldn't connect to the net. This was about 11.30pm but to be honest hadn't been online since 7 so could have gone anytime in between. Still can't connect today and now find that none of their support numbers listed work. Get a message (sounds like the eircom guy) saying the number you have dialed cannot accept this call, please hang up and try again later. What the hell does that mean? All the numbers start with the same extension, 0845 2470001 is the tech support one.

So can't connect to the net and can't call them. Anyone else having problems, is their whole network down or something?
    UTV has awful problems with their logins. I use my UTV login, which I pay for, and my a friend's BT one. When the UTV login goes down, I switch to the BT one inside of my router. Works perfectly.

If your router can sync to the DSL, then it's probably a UTV issue. Unfortunately, these issues occur frequently. Even just recently they decided out of the blue to change my password from the original assigned one. This left me without access for an entire weekend, as I assumed it was a problem that would get fixed soon. Since I switched my login details to the BT one, I didn't see much urgency in reporting it. But, it was down from Friday night until Monday morning, just two weeks ago.

Call them up to get it sorted quicker. Try the number Cabaal posted, I use it regularly, and it works fine. But sometimes there's a long wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Cabaal wrote: »
    You appear to be looking at the UK version of their website.

0845 is a UK number so you won';t be able to call it from Ireland unless you add +44 and drop the 0 and pay international dial rates :)

Try 1890 926 111 instead,
    (I've just tested it and it works fine :) )

cheers for the number, called and got it fixed. bit of a weird one, haven't reset my router but was told the Multiplex option under ISP parameters had gone to the default which is VC. Changed it to LCC and it worked ok. Bit confused as I'm sure it has for the last 3 years been VC with no problems???

By the way, what's the address of the Irish version of the site? Knew that number I tried looked dodgy, only site I could find when I googled was http://www.utvinternet.com .

Ok scratch that, change to the Euro symbol and voila. Hard to spot trying to navigate on your phone though :o

Again thanks for the replies guys, was going mental. A day at home with no internet! :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have to say I can't comment on UTV's lack of support as I've only ever called them looking for my router login details when my DSL was activated last year, not had a spot of bother since really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

For a few nights in the past fortnight (between 7 and 10pm), I get disconnected for anything between 15 and 45 minutes. Modem remains synced. Rebooting had no effect.

Being left to its devices, it eventually reconnects, but it's a right PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

byte wrote: »
    For a few nights in the past fortnight (between 7 and 10pm), I get disconnected for anything between 15 and 45 minutes. Modem remains synced. Rebooting had no effect.

Being left to its devices, it eventually reconnects, but it's a right PITA.

I have the exact same problem, even tried three different modems, same issue, sync'd but no internet, modem says PPP Authentication Down, spent hours on to UTV Tech support, he was very helpful guy but couldn't resolve it, they reckon its an issue with logging into the Eircom network, which makes sense now that a previous poster uses his mates BT login and gets connected straight away, I was given different user names and passwords but the issue remained ( all UTV ), once left for a while it reconnects and no issues until modem turned off at night and then back on in the morning, have to wait on it logging in!:mad:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have the exact same problem, even tried three different modems, same issue, sync'd but no internet, modem says PPP Authentication Down, spent hours on to UTV Tech support, he was very helpful guy but couldn't resolve it, they reckon its an issue with logging into the Eircom network, which makes sense now that a previous poster uses his mates BT login and gets connected straight away, I was given different user names and passwords but the issue remained ( all UTV ), once left for a while it reconnects and no issues until modem turned off at night and then back on in the morning, have to wait on it logging in!:mad:
    Glad to see it's not just me!

It seems to me that UTV likes to refresh sync (maybe IP change or soemthing) every 24 hours, but why why why choose mid-evening to do it? I'd not mind if it was done about 4am every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

BT did it every 24 hours too. But it worked a tad different to how you're telling it. Your IP will renew every 24 hours after your last login. You could login at 2am, and as long as you don't experience any downtime or problems, you won't re-sync until 2am the following morning. Same story as if you logged in at 6pm, you'd re-sync at 6pm the following evening. If a problem occurs, then it will re-sync 24 hours after the modem (auto) logged you back in from when the problem ceases. Well... You get the idea.

UTV probably do the same, but I just haven't paid any attention to it, so I cannot say for sure.

Advertisement