Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Question

Options
  • 12-11-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm living in a rural area and have just got a new eircom phone line installed. The engineer tested it and said it's good for broadband - the exchange is only 1km away.

I want to order DSL broadband now. Are my only options eircom, vodafone, smart? Are they all the same i.e. are they all just re-selling eircom broadband anyway?

I've seen on these boards that vodafone modems seem to be muck, but service is good. Eircom modems are good, but service is muck. What'll I do?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

UTV, Perlico, Imagine, Magnet, Digiweb, and a few others I can't think of. They're all the same for the most part, except for Magnet and Smart which also do LLU (their own equipment, and up to 24Mbps). LLU may or may not be an option for you, depending on location.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

jor el wrote: »
    UTV, Perlico, Imagine, Magnet, Digiweb, and a few others I can't think of. They're all the same for the most part, except for Magnet and Smart which also do LLU (their own equipment, and up to 24Mbps). LLU may or may not be an option for you, depending on location.

Thanks. I'm rural (and very beautiful) West Co. Cork, so Smart have already said they don't cover my area. Was planning to go for Vodafone's 3mb €40 per month bundle (cheaper than eircom). Some people say it's great, others say stay away from them (that they are Perlico in disguise). Any thoughts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They ARE Perlico in disguise , that is true .

The Voda packages are all 'bundles' where you take voice / data / calls in one monthly sum but are locked in for a year

Other operators do a mix of bundles and standalone line rental and standalone dsl on 6 month contracts .

Do you call mobiles a lot , if not maybe a bundle is useless for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thebeatlebaby

Tester46 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm living in a rural area and have just got a new eircom phone line installed. The engineer tested it and said it's good for broadband - the exchange is only 1km away.

I want to order DSL broadband now. Are my only options eircom, vodafone, smart? Are they all the same i.e. are they all just re-selling eircom broadband anyway?

I've seen on these boards that vodafone modems seem to be muck, but service is good. Eircom modems are good, but service is muck. What'll I do?

Thanks for your help!
    whatever you do DONT GO WITH EIRCOM their service is absolute crap...try vodafone...eircom's contention ratio is 48.1 vodafone is 28.1........eircom is the worst provider iv'e ever encountered....GOOD LUCK!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Contention is the same for all resellers, as it's all controlled by eircom. Any package that is 48:1 on eircom, will be 48:1 on Vodafone, or any other reseller. The only DSL providers with control of contention are LLU operators. The rest have no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

IMO the vast majority of Eircom customers are getting a good broadband service and have been for years.

Yes Eircom had difficulties earlier in the year and they took some time to sort them.

Customer service may well be a different matter, depending on the actual problem.

Overall they do not seem to be any worse (or better) than other providers but are a bit dearer I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

I have to agree with the Johnyboy in realation to Eircom. It is not factual correct to say that offer gave a crap service. Thier network compares well to other providers. I have had it for years and it has been very reliable. Not to metion the fact that they dont charge for going over the download cap which I do every single month.

There are issues around the support side of things and their in ability to maintain a proper DNS server setup is a bit of a joke however using OPENDNS circumvents this anyway.

I am presume cable in the shape of www.upc.ie is not an option for you , pretty good speeds and reasonable price when bundled with phone and TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Cormon is entirely correct . There are occasional 'hotspots' nationally where capacity need to be upgraded ( by eircom) but that normally gets done in a few months once they find out there is a problem .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also given the huge number of customers they have the absence over they years of significant complaints about billing (at least on boards) is quite an achievement.

Advertisement