Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless??

Options
  • 12-11-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

hope someone here can answer a few questions from a tech thicko!!
    What is wireless broadband?????
    I have broadband from Perlico with a supposodly wireless modem. However I have to have the modem connected to the phoneline (wireless??). The problem is the phone socket is in another room (kitchen) and I have to run the cable from the desktop pc (10yrs old) through the hall to connect.
    Q1. If I put the modem in the kitchen ( near the phone point) is there anything I can get to transmit the signal to the computer and replace the cable?
    Q2. I hope to buy a laptop in the near future and will this pick up the broadband signal without the use of a cable?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I ditched my Perlico BB and got a Meteor Wireless Dongle - more flexible and better speeds - dependant on where you are in Perlico contract may be worth pricing it out.

I do not live in suburban Dublin but still 99% of time have no problem with signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JodTT

Hi!

In order to have landline wireless broadband, you must still have a wire connecting the modem to the wall/phoneline. The wireless element kicks in from the modem to your PC/laptop. Most laptops these days have their wireless function built in so that it will automatically pick up a signal in the house if there is one to find.

I'm not sure if PCs have the same function, but in a lot of cases, you can buy what's called a Wireless Enable card which can be connected to the PC, and that will then make the computer wireless for you.

I would imagine if your Desktop PC is 10 years old, you won't even be able to buy a wireless card for it. You'll probably need to upgrade your PC or buy a laptop.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

urranger wrote: »
    hope someone here can answer a few questions from a tech thicko!!
    What is wireless broadband?????
    I have broadband from Perlico with a supposodly wireless modem. However I have to have the modem connected to the phoneline (wireless??). The problem is the phone socket is in another room (kitchen) and I have to run the cable from the desktop pc (10yrs old) through the hall to connect.
    Q1. If I put the modem in the kitchen ( near the phone point) is there anything I can get to transmit the signal to the computer and replace the cable?
    Q2. I hope to buy a laptop in the near future and will this pick up the broadband signal without the use of a cable?

Thanks

Wireless generally means no wires from your modem to your computer. If you want to replace the cable, remove it completely and get a wireless card/adaptor for you PC. You can then wirelessly connect to the modem from your PC.

Most new laptops should come with a wireless card so you would be able to connect to the modem without the cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wireless broadband refers to broadband that is delivered to the customer wirelessly, eg Metro or Breeze. You still need to connect the external aerial to your compute with an Ethernet cable, unless you use a Wifi router to make a wireless network in the home.

Wired broadband, like DSL on a phone line, or Cable from UPC, is delivered over wires, and then needs to connect to your PC with an Ethernet cable, or again you can use a Wifi router.

If Perlico told you they were delivering Wireless broadband then they were wrong, either because they lied, or out of stupidity. Mostly, it's stupidity. The operators call it wireless broadband, when in fact, it's not. A wireless router can be attached to any broadband connection so you don't need to cable the computer to the modem/router.

If you have a wireless modem/router, then all you need is a Wifi adapter in your computer.

Advertisement