Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Problem

Options
  • 12-11-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Don't know if I'm in the right forum, but has anyone out there had to go the legal route with NCT? I claim they did bodywork damage to a car, they dispute it... Does anybody know of a solicitor who has experience with them...?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabbo57

What happened to the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

Not being smart but you havent a hope of getting anywhere with them because when you leave it into the nct your agreeing to the rules that the cars there at your own risk.Did you sign the disclaimer?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabbo57

kildarelad wrote: »
    Not being smart but you havent a hope of getting anywhere with them because when you leave it into the nct your agreeing to the rules that the cars there at your own risk.Did you sign the disclaimer?

You only sign a disclaimer if your car is a diesel, and that only covers it during the smoke test anyway!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ANy solicitor should be able to help.
    However, before spending money on one, can you actually prove that they did the damage?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

kbannon wrote: »
    ANy solicitor should be able to help.
    However, before spending money on one, can you actually prove that they did the damage?

Exactly. You'd need before and after pics imho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

kildarelad wrote: »

Those type of disclaimers rarely stand up in court if there is sufficient evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

The NCT is well set up to deal with these kind of claims you would be better to cut your losses and repair it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

I'd recommend bringing them to small claims court. Costs roughly €12 & covers claims up to €1270 or there abouts. Saves you solicitors fees & the like. Take loads of pics, judges love pics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

They damaged the side of the car, claim they've no CCTV where it occurred, and are digging in their heels. Regardless of whether I have proof or not I'm of the opinion not to let it rest. Firstly, because I know the car was undamaged when brought in, and secondly because I cannot even vote with my feet and give my business in the future to any competitor. I'm in the motor trade. My solicitor is on the case, thankfully...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

how much damage did they do??

i thought they would have cctv covering everywhere inside the test centre to have some evdence if a car is damaged,

i dont remember signing anything when i went but they must have some sort of disclaimer to cover at least engine damage eg, when they rev the nuts off the engine,what if the timing belt went?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I was getting my car tested last Sunday in Dublin. They were also testing a 96 Corrola belonging to an old lady there, whatever happened, they blew a cylinder in the car, engine destroyed, old woman very upset! And the NCT guy trying to explain that these things happen! Car was towed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I was getting my car tested last Sunday in Dublin. They were also testing a 96 Corrola belonging to an old lady there, whatever happened, they blew a cylinder in the car, engine destroyed, old woman very upset! And the NCT guy trying to explain that these things happen! Car was towed away.

Jesus. Didn't someone post a while back about bringing in a sports car only to have the NCT guys bouncing it off the limiter and shaking the building?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Confab wrote: »
    Jesus. Didn't someone post a while back about bringing in a sports car only to have the NCT guys bouncing it off the limiter and shaking the building?

They were probably trying to get it through the emissions.

Advertisement