Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedgehog box

Options
  • 12-11-2009 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience with hedgehog boxes? I downloaded plans for one and want to put one at the bottom of my new garden. I've seen a large hedgehog running along the footpath nearby so they are around. I've probably left it a bit late, they'll be hibernating by now but if anyone can offer advice it will be very welcome. I seem to have a very large slug and snail population in the garden so it would be ideal for hedgehogs, plus I plan to put out food for them in the spring (not bread and milk!).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I have one, along with a bunch of nesting boxes for birds, but my hedgehog box is a bit hit and miss. It has been used two winters out of the last four.

Just make sure to put the box in a quiet spot in your garden that is not hit by the prevaling winds or is not prone to any build up of water during heavy rains. Then cover the most of box with a thin layer of soil or leaves if it is a wooden box (I used a thin layer of compost to cover the main body of the hedgehog box and left the tunnel bit as is, before I changed from using a wooden box to using a woodcrete dome)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Thanks Kess. I have a suitable quiet spot behind my shed that should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

where can you buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Kaldorn wrote: »
    where can you buy them?

The one I have is the last link, and the one I had before it is the second last link.

Some of the larger petstores in Ireland may have some too as well as some of the large DIY superstores.

You can also download plans for making them if you are able to go down the build it yourself route.

https://secure.birdfood.co.uk/product_details.php?area_id=2&group_id=23&nav_id=28&prd_id=130

http://www.haiths.com/product-Hedgehog-House-bfwwhedge/

http://www.jacobijayne.co.uk/nest-boxes-by-species/hedgehog/

• Advertisement

OK, I haven't installed a box yet, but a young hedgehog has turned up in the garden the last few nights scavenging under the bird table (hope he doesn't meet our scavenging fox). I'm worried that it should be hibernating by now. I have put out dog food for it and it has been gobbling it up. I have just read that if it weighs less than 600g it will probably not survive the winter. I am waiting for it to appear tonight and have the scales ready. If it is under weight, it will need to be cared for through the winter (I usually let nature take its course, but the GF has fallen in love with the flea ridden little fellow!). Does anyone have any experience of keeping hedgehogs? I know there are 'hedgehog hospitals' in the UK, do we have anything like that here? thanks for any info.

hello,

go to cottagerescue.ie and give them a shout..they will be able to give you all the advice you need..i was going to do the same a few weeks back with an underweight hog but he escaped from the shed.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

While it seems late in the year, there appears to be plenty of Hogs still active. It's probably down to relatively mild weather and an abundance of food still available.

Regarding underweight Hedgehogs (I know people will disagree, but...) I don't personally always agree with "rescuing" these animals. Why is it underweight? Can the area support a Hedgehog(s) naturally? If not then you are not improving anything. Is the area at it's natural limit for Hedgehog population? What will over-wintering this one Hedgehog achieve or add to the overall population of the area? It's a nice feeling when we do things like this, but does it really change anything?

Kaldorn wrote: »
    hello,

go to cottagerescue.ie and give them a shout..they will be able to give you all the advice you need..i was going to do the same a few weeks back with an underweight hog but he escaped from the shed.:rolleyes:

Thanks, but not necessary after all. I caught it the other night and it seems fit and healthy. Coming out for feeding at 8:30 regular as clockwork. Looks like it has a nest under our deck. There are plenty of slugs around too, so natural food isn't a problem.

looks like global warming is keeping them active for a lot longer which gives them a good fighting chance...maybe one of the up sides to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement