Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat roof forever leaking?

Options
  • 12-11-2009 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi!

I own a top floor apartment which has had a leaking ceiling once a year, every year since I bought the place. The developer does end up fixing it every year, after significant amount of chasing from my part.
    I got a couple of questions on the matter:
    as this is a problem that has occurred from day 1 on the property (even noticed a leak before the place was snagged before I moved in. It was fixed by the time we did the snag list):
    - is the developer legally liable for any repairs? If so, for how long?

If I get a third party to look at it, and fix it, is the developer legally liable for any cost incurred?

If anybody knows a company who does flat roof/leak repairs, and who is not a cowboy, contact details welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Nabs wrote: »
    Hi!
    I own a top floor apartment which has had a leaking ceiling once a year, every year since I bought the place. The developer does end up fixing it every year, after significant amount of chasing from my part.
    I got a couple of questions on the matter:
    as this is a problem that has occurred from day 1 on the property (even noticed a leak before the place was snagged before I moved in. It was fixed by the time we did the snag list):
    It sounds as though the leak was never fixed, it was just patched. This is not good enough and needs to be repaired/replaced as necessary. The roof/leak needs to be checked out by an Architect/AT/Engineer and the report sent to the builder. I would suggest contacting your solicitor as well.
    - is the developer legally liable for any repairs? If so, for how long?

If I get a third party to look at it, and fix it, is the developer legally liable for any cost incurred?
    Legal discussions are not for this forum. Please read the charter.
    If anybody knows a company who does flat roof/leak repairs, and who is not a cowboy, contact details welcome!
    If people knew what part of the country you were in maybe they could advise.

Any names by PM only.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

OP, is it a fault with the roof itself or the design. My roofer did a flat roof recently and doubled the size of the valleys. When I asked him why he did this he told me that in very exceptional wet periods the smaller valleys would not take the load. Is the roof felt or metal i.e. zinc?

Advertisement