Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproofing ski gear.

Options
  • 12-11-2009 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Got a jacket and salopettes in Aldi a few years ago, they have been great - but last year got caught in some very heavy powder and I started to get wet through the pants.
    I've washed the gear twice AFAIK and somebody mentioned that this affects the waterproofing of the clothes.
    I know you can buy bottles of waterproofing liquid that you wash onto the gear, wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with these?

Again, it was only really during the heavy snowfall and I'd face planted a few times :p so I don't really want to buy new gear.

Thanks for the help,
    H2DC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Granger's or Nikwax
    I tend to use Nikwax as that's what Rab recommend.

You should do it regularly to maintain the waterproofing and breathability.
    Using ordinary washing powder wouldn't be recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Hail 2 Da Chimp
    As above Nikwax is about the best of the stuff but you have to follow the directions exactly and it does not always work.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

yea, have used the nikwax stuff also - there are two, a cleaner and a waterproofing - but they are expensive - new pants in Aldi/Lidl/Tk Maxx would not be that much more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Cheers all, will have a look next time I'm in snow & rock, think it was about €15 when I was there last, so if it's cheaper than a new pair of pants I'll go for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

Lidl have ski stuff from tomorrow (mon the 16th nov) if you want now trousers...honestly in my years as a scout with a lot of hiking gear...the waterproofing stuff only works before the damage is done...it wont work too well now!!!

The ski trousers are only €19.99 so only a few euro more then the waterproof stuff and much more reliable!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Hi guys

I really need waterproof socks by 4pm today. I know of sealskinz you can get on various sites but as I said I need today!

I have checked 53 degrees north webpage and they have socks but it does not say if they are water proof

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jamegg

Tog 24 and the North face are both in Kildare Village out the M7 and Snow and rock are in Dundrum (outside in the Tesco Carpark) the Great Outdoors on Chatnem stree just off grafton street

You could also try the Outdoor Adventure Store on Abby Street

prob best off ringing them all to see what they have...same for 53degrees north as their website isnt updated as much as their shop stock is!!!

I dont know if either do waterproof socks though....any may I ask why they need to be waterproof....you've left it very late!!!

Phone Numbers:
    Kildare Village (you'll have to ask for Tog 24 and North Face...both do ski gear) +353 (0)45 520501
    Snow and Rock: you'll have to ring 11890
    The Great Outdoors: 01 679 4293
    The Outdoor adventure store: again you'll have to try 11890

hope this helps!!!!! and good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The Great Outdoors do sealskinz.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Granger's or Nikwax
    I tend to use Nikwax as that's what Rab recommend.

You should do it regularly to maintain the waterproofing and breathability.
    Using ordinary washing powder wouldn't be recommended.

do you need to use both the cleaner and the waterproofer? or is it ok to was ski pants not using any detergent (other than whats built up in the machine) & then add the waterproofer? I am a bit of a tight arse and thought someone was trying to rip me off when they said I needed both.

do you need to use both the cleaner and the waterproofer? or is it ok to was ski pants not using any detergent (other than whats built up in the machine)

make sure you clean out the drawer that the washing powder goes into...washing power will eat away at the waterproofing!

i do use both, and would recommend using both to other people...i use it on all my waterproofing stuff, my ski gear and hiking gear.

i feel the waterproofer does work, i even use it on my uggs every so often to keep them waterproof!

it may seem a bit expensive now but in the long run it will keep your gear in good condition and make it last longer!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement