Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAPM\PMP Certification

Options
  • 12-11-2009 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have approx 2-3 years experience as a project manager but was made redundant in April of this year and have done a couple of exams in the past few months (CompTIA, Microsoft) but am looking to get a proper PM qualification now.

FAS have agreed to pay for a 5 day course in Dublin that is specifically for CAPM and PMP training. What I'm wondering is what is the application process like for these qualifications? As I'm not working in the company where I got all my PM experience, I don't have access to all the details of the projects I worked on (the kind of projects I worked would last anywhere from 1 day to 1-2 weeks so they would be classed as pretty short turnaround) and I've heard that the application form for both the CAPM & PMP is pretty exhaustive and that there is the possibility that you can be audited (which I presume means that they check everything with the employer?).

I kinda fell into the PM role as I was originally taken on as an engineer so I don't have any formal PM training of any kind. Would anyone have any feedback\comments that could help me decide on my next step? In any case, I'm going to do the 5 day course...won't do any harm to have formal training, I'd just like to be able to have something to show for it at the end.

Thanks all! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

From what I have heard the PMP process is quite long.

PMP is regonised worldwide but the Prince2 Cert is more for Ireland and England.

Prince2 is also a one week course with two exams during that week, I just mention it as an alternative to doing the PMP course. After looking at the application process for PMP, I decided on the Prince2 course for a quick win.

For you, seeing as you are getting the course for Free, then go for it. After you have finished you should know a lot more either way.

I can give you any info you need on the Prince2 course once its finished (2nd Week Dec)

GL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Hi Static ME,

That would be great thanks...I'll do this course and decide afterwards which way to go

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Dont let the application process stop you from applying for the PMP. That is one of the reasons it is accepted worldwide - you have to detail all the experience you have earned over the course of your career. Its been a while since I completed this - but I remember it was easy enough to do once you get the ball rolling. In my case the projects I worked on went on for several months, so it was easier to complete, but in your case you might look at condensing several projects under one program of work.

Now for the plug...rita mulcahys book is the best tool for passing the PMP if you eventually go for it. Read it 3 times and follow the exercises inside, you will learn more than a week long course! Selling a copy cheap here: http://adverts.ie/161277

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Hi yankinlk,

Do you still have Rita Mulchay's book for sale?

Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Going for the CAPM exam in april...i would appreciate any feedback for studying and for the exam.

Thanks in advance...

• Advertisement

Hi rolion,

Can I ask where you doing the course?

Its something on my radar for this year but I haven't put any work into finding out anything about courses\exams yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

can't afford any courses unfortunately...

i'm doing "at home" study:
    -CBT
    -VTC
    -Rita Mulcahy 'FastTrack'
    -Joseph phillips
    -Head First
    -lots of simulators

i have some courses in the last year and my CAPM 'grace period' expires in may,i've paid for so i have no choice than to do it...

Thanks - I'll start looking into that lot. If I find something useful Ill pm you with it.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Katleenb

Hi all,

Wondering if somebody could shed some light on this..

so I am looking at getting qualifications in project Management.
    The FAS course is free.

The course from the project management institute is 2595 euros..

I know the last one gives you : Special Purpose Award at Level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications.

On the NFQ scale, where does the FAS course sit?

Thanks for your insights.. ( have to decide in the next few days if I should shell out nearly 2600 euros.... help!!)..
    Katleen

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

For PMP you will need a certain amount of professional training anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SeanElec1

Hi Katleen,
    I'm taking the PMP exam next week. I did quite a bit of research before choosing, and really found that the PMP credential was the most often mentioned in job specs. IPMA / Prince2 occasionally mentioned, but PMI / PMP more often, and especially with US multinationals.

Advertisement