Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear Plugs - Wear them?

Options
  • 12-11-2009 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Been thinking about this one for a while now and I really can't make a decision. Working or playing in clubs is a noisy affair with some clubs hitting the 100db and above mark. Health and Safety dictates that at 100db you have one hour of a tolerance and should definitely be wearing ear plugs.

Now, I ain't talking about the orange spongey ones, I'm more leaning towards proper attenuated ones. I've bought a few sets (for work and clubbing) from two companies EAR and Alpine. The Alpine set are more for Sound Engineering as they much better at not muffling the sound. The EAR are fixed at 25db attenuation.

My question is, how many people actually wear them? Either mixing or clubbing? And does one look stupid or intelligent to wear them on a night out on the dance floor? I suppose is one right to be responsible for their lively hood?

ironclaw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Good thread over here
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055723714

No have never wore them but am thinking of buying a pair to wear when the headphones are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'd been wondering about this for some time and had made the decision a few years ago to stand further back from the speakers at gigs. A small step but my hearing is of too much importance to mess it up at this stage when I spend several hours a day in front of monitors.

So, it was a nice coincidence to come upon these folks at the recent Music Show in Dubtown:

http://www.hearingprotection.ie

I've been trying out their regular ear plugs for a bit and find them quite good. When time/finance allows I'll splash out a few hundred on their in-ear monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Floyd

Definately get them particularly with monitors blairing in your face when DJing, went to Frank Cass and got mine, i think they actually help your mixing cus they cut out a lot of the boom which can muddy things up. Appearance wise, mine are clear in colour so you dont even notice them, they come in colours if you want them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wish I had the 490+VAT to spare...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

€200 + VAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

ironclaw wrote: »
    Health and Safety dictates that at 100db you have one hour of a tolerance and should definitely be wearing ear plugs.

I suppose is one right to be responsible for their lively hood?

ironclaw.

The Regulations made under the Health and Safety Legislation specify 2 action levels - 80dB(A) and 85dB(A) (HSA have a faq here), which includes this advice
    What can be done to improve the noise from music in my nightclub?

1. Limiting devices may be fitted to amplifiers, speakers and other sound equipment in order to prevent sound rising above a specified level.
    2. Regular checks should be carried out (including during performances) to ensure that the limiting devices have not been disabled and are functioning properly.
    3. Speakers should be positioned in such a way as to ensure that employee’s exposure to noise is minimised
    4. Management should ensure that rosters are rotated so that all employees likely to be affected by exposure to noise spend a certain proportion of their time working in quiet areas
    5. Disk jockeys should be provided with soundproof work enclosures

In addition, they've published a whole guidance document for your area of work, which is available from this website!

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

if the doc told you, you were going to go deaf and you needed €600 to prevent yourself form going deaf, would you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Táck wrote: »
    if the doc told you, you were going to go deaf and you needed €600 to prevent yourself form going deaf, would you get it?

Couldn't agree more. I was hoping to get custom plugs done but I'll save up for a while. My current ones are Alpine MusicSafe plugs that have three tips for different attenuation levels.

I'm glad a few people agree on this one. I was thinking I was alone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

I had fitted earplugs made up by a doctor a few years back when I was playing in a rock band. My policy usually is: working - always wear them, going out - don't wear them.
    Simply because when you're at a club for pleasure you can always go outside to get away from the music.
    The truth is, as far as I'm concerned, they do take away from your enjoyment of the music. That's not as important if you're the one getting paid to play.
    I once forgot my earplugs when I was playing a particularly loud gig abroad and I have tinnitus in my right ear as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

I should probably have concluded: if you're playing out regularly, you'd be mad not to invest in quality hearing protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

WEAR THEM!!!!

I have tinnitus as a reuslt of menengitis (but also pumpin loud music into my head through headphones was a contributory factor) and now I can't even go into a medium-loud late bar/disco without ear plugs, let alone onto a dance floor of a decent club.

There is no cure for tinnitus and I have it permenantly.

I have experimented and have found the cheap yellow industry ones give the best attenuation.

Don't fk up your hearing, especially if you are a music lover, for the sake of looking 'cool' and spending 50c on plugs. Wear the bleedin plugs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Funkatron

They are a must have. Had mine fitted a few years ago in Charlemont Clinic and it's the bes thing I ever did. Coming home after clubbing or DJing and not having ringing ears is such a blessing. Plus you don't have to yel at people in a club cause the sound quality is excellent ... A superb investment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

There is no shame or embarrasment whatsoever in wearing ear plugs and fair play to anyone who does. I have tinnitus from the early 90's raves, such a pain to listen to the constant whistling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

gsparx wrote: »
    I should probably have concluded: if you're playing out going out to clubs regularly, you'd be mad not to invest in quality hearing protection.

fixed that for you sir

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

I got my custom plugs from http://www.hearing.ie/. On Capel street. Guy in there was really good.

I wear them DJing and when out in clubs/at gigs, they're clear so people don't notice them in, and as someone already said you don't have to shout and can hear people perfectly with them.
    Didn't wear them for the Pixies gig back in October and my ears were ringing for 4 days! Never again. And my dad has been DJing for 25 years and has tinnitus bad in one ear, so if thats not an incentive for me then nothing will be! Your ears are too precious an organ to damage. People don't think twice about wearing sunglasses on a very bright day, so why neglect your hearing in the same way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

lads ,any links to good custom earplugs good for wearing on stage and in da club .

Cheers,
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

BumbleB wrote: »
    lads ,any links to good custom earplugs good for wearing on stage and in da club .

Cheers,
    :)

Depends how much you want to spend! I went to http://www.hearing.ie and the quoted me somewhere in the region of €300 for a set. And if I lost one I had to get a remould done so the same price again. However, I did some tinkering and bought a set like of these:

small-musicians-plug.png

And I just cut the inserting bit back so it sits into my ear. Its a little less noticeable. I was beside the bass bins in the Button Factory and had no ringing after. In addition the 6 pairs I bought cost about €20 for 25dbi protection.

Advertisement