Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 years since going on first date - how to celebrate when money is tight?

Options
  • 12-11-2009 10:32am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, it is 12 years since Shane and I went on our first date on Monday (he wont read here!)...we are married almost 3 years now and will be renewing our vows on our wedding anniversary (I was ill for the wedding) but we always made a big fuss over the anniversary of our first date as it is a lot longer. This year however money is very tight as we are expecting and I can not travel far as I have bad travel sickness...does anyone have any suggestions? I could probably push it to 100 if I had to but that is the max. Thanks. Oh, he has to work on the Monday as is saving leave for the baby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

What did you do for your first date?
    Could you recreate it somehow?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Mary-Ellen wrote: »
    What did you do for your first date?
    Could you recreate it somehow?
    Well, we have the Saturday and the Sunday (though dad is trying to see us on Sunday, would love to but we booked this weekend off weeks ago but dad is forgetful, so that is added stress, we normally see him every week (bro sees him every second one) but I really want the Sunday off for us)...Shane hates the food in the place we went on our first date to the extent he would reluctanly have coffee there...I am not up for eating out in the evening He is taking me to Fire on Saturday for lunch but I want to do something in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Takeaway pizza, dvd, beer, chips and dips and an iou for some bedroom action. Hard to get a beeter evening than that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

You could do something really cheesy like make him his favourite meal, and while you guys are eating have a cd playing, one that you made with all "your songs" on it, and you can tell him the memories that each song brings to you.
    And you could go through all your photos you have since you started dating and maybe make a small photo album with them, or even a scrap book, which would give you the option of writing on it, such as all the different reasons you love him.

Or am i just being WAY too sappy!!!

congrats on 12 years!! WOW

kmick wrote: »
    Takeaway pizza, dvd, beer, chips and dips and an iou for some bedroom action. Hard to get a beeter evening than that?
    He hates that type of food with a passion (OK, he likes beer but it makes me puke (the small of it) at the moment...and I am fairly pregnant! Good idea though, just not him...

• Advertisement

You could do something really cheesy like make him his favourite meal, and while you guys are eating have a cd playing, one that you made with all "your songs" on it, and you can tell him the memories that each song brings to you.
    And you could go through all your photos you have since you started dating and maybe make a small photo album with them, or even a scrap book, which would give you the option of writing on it, such as all the different reasons you love him.

Or am i just being WAY too sappy!!!

congrats on 12 years!! WOW
    Nice but I am rubbish at cooking and am not cooking doring the pregnancy, it makes me feel ill...he also has all our photos! The songs idea is good though...sorry that it is not easy...and I love the scrap book...thanks.

ah dont be apologising!! hmmm.... what else could ya do.

Marks and spencers do lovely meals, that you just need to heat up and they have a half price sale at the moment on all their xmas nibbly foods, like mini quiches, mini everything, ya know the likes... so you could make something like that
    regarding the pics, you could just ask him for them, you just wanna look through them some day, even ask him for some of him as a kid, and you could make the scrapbook from when you were both kids to now.

Or a voucher for some Cathy loving! am sure he would LOVE that! hehe

ah dont be apologising!! hmmm.... what else could ya do.

Marks and spencers do lovely meals, that you just need to heat up and they have a half price sale at the moment on all their xmas nibbly foods, like mini quiches, mini everything, ya know the likes... so you could make something like that
    regarding the pics, you could just ask him for them, you just wanna look through them some day, even ask him for some of him as a kid, and you could make the scrapbook from when you were both kids to now.

Or a voucher for some Cathy loving! am sure he would LOVE that! hehe
    Much as we would both love that, it is a very high risk pregnancy...hugs only :( though we would not give up baby for anything...we did have a great time trying for baby though.

well what does your hubbie like? Or what things does he love doing that you would rather not?

Like, if he loved watching fights or something and they were usually on pay per view, you could get the fight paid for that night and surprise him ..

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Your 3rd? Why not have 3 romantic meals in 1 day! Breakfast in bed, or even just a full irish! Lunch, create a snack, even if its just a toasted sandwich and some crisps on the side, ill bet he still won't be expecting it, and then order in dinner.
    If pizza is not your thing, order Chinese, or Indian or something else... There are also more than likely some decent restaurants in your area that will pack up food and ship it down to you -- [ Always reminds me of Mrs. Doubtfire, when she orders from the big fancy restaurant and gets it delivered to the house:p] Sometimes a simple house date with some gourmet-catered food and drinks is the way to go. Have a look on http://www.just-eat.ie and take a look at the restaurants in your area. Set up the table in your home with the number 3 in mind. 3 candles? maybe 3 roses? tablecloth [bit retro i know] all the trimmings and serve up!
    You could purchase a little gift and present it to him at dinner. Perhaps a Tommy Hilfiger wallet or something, new watch, engraved cuff links, something not to ordinary he won't expect like the usual socks, ties etc :p

Would the cinema be an option for you both? Can be a little boring at first thought, but its an idea if you want to recreate a "first date" kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

How about a picnic? Create a tent in the living room (very 10-year-old, I know, but it's different!) and have the picnic in the tent? The picnic doesn't have to be anything fancy, even just sandwiches or salads or finger food or something.

I suggest that because it's something I've always wanted to do myself, just haven't gotten around to it. It just sounds like such a fun thing to do. You can reminisce or cuddle or just have a good old giggle...or all of those!

Advertisement