Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus ECU Problem

Options
  • 12-11-2009 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

My wife bought a 05 Ford Focus deisel a few months back. Last night she went out and noticed that the wipers were going, the indicator lights were flashing and also the car was making a beeping noise. There was no key in the car. When she turned the key in the ignition the noises stopped, but started again as soon as she took the key out.

Rang a local mechanic and he told me that the ECU needs to be recalibrated.

Just wondering if this is common, and also how much it costs to sort out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are you sure he didn't say ECU as in the car's computer chip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

bazz26 wrote: »
    Are you sure he didn't say ECU as in the car's computer chip?

Hey bazz, now that you mention it I think it was ECU.
    Any idea what it would cost to get this recalibrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Is it the 1.6 diesel...??
    if so its the same as psa use and these engines also have bsi's which can play up...you need to get it diagnosed and its very vauge to say the ecu needs to be recalibrated without seeing/testing it.
    Ron.

Row wrote: »
    Is it the 1.6 diesel...??
    if so its the same as psa use and these engines also have bsi's which can play up...you need to get it diagnosed and its very vauge to say the ecu needs to be recalibrated without seeing/testing it.
    Ron.

Hi Row. I called Motorpark here in Galway and they are running a diagnosis on Monday morning. After that they'll see what it costs to re program it. Pricey enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Would disconnecting the negative on the battery for half an hour reset the ECU? That is of course if it's the cause of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Hi Row. I called Motorpark here in Galway and they are running a diagnosis on Monday morning. After that they'll see what it costs to re program it. Pricey enough though.

I'd say its bsi related...:confused:...well thats if you have one...:)
    let us know how you get on....;)

Not sure about fords but this is the resetting procedure for Peugeot Citroen BSi units:

Do this at your own risk.....:eek:.....Ron.

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY DIS-CONNECTION (The 3 Minute Rule)

Whenever a vehicle battery has to be dis-connected, switch off all equipment, interior lights etc, close the doors leaving the drivers window open.

Switch off the ignition and remove the key and any DIAG equipment.

Wait a full 3 minutes before disconnecting the battery.

The BSi must be allowed to go to SLEEP ie into "power save mode". Do not operate any equipment on the vehicle during this time. Remember, even opening the bonnet will wake the BSi on a vehicle fitted with alarm.

If the battery is under the bonnet, open the bonnet first and leave it up. Peugeot 807 batteries can be dis-connected through the drivers window, remove floor cover first.

ALWAYS disconnect any DIAG equipment and do not operate any plips from other vehicles during the 3 minute waiting period.

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY RECONNECTION

Unless otherwise instructed by Peugeot or Product Service, you must always carry out the following procedure, often referred to as a "soft re-boot", to minimise the possibility of the BSi corrupting its own software when reconnecting the vehicles battery supply.
    Ensure the procedure for battery disconnection has been adhered to and importantly all BSi functions were switched off with the drivers window left down.

1 Close all doors
    2 Remove ignition key if left in ignition
    3 Reconnect battery. DO NOT open any doors
    4 Wait 10 seconds
    5 Switch on healights through the drivers window (you will hear a "bong")
    6 Switch on ignition then start the vehicle and check system functions

NOTE: Upon reconnection, if any vehicle function controlled by the BSi i.e . interior light is switched on,the internal operation of the BSi has the potential to spike or corrupt its configuration and software program......

Row wrote: »
    I'd say its bsi related...:confused:...well thats if you have one...:)
    let us know how you get on....;)

Not sure about fords but this is the resetting procedure for Peugeot Citroen BSi units:

Do this at your own risk.....:eek:.....Ron.

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY DIS-CONNECTION (The 3 Minute Rule)

Whenever a vehicle battery has to be dis-connected, switch off all equipment, interior lights etc, close the doors leaving the drivers window open.

Switch off the ignition and remove the key and any DIAG equipment.

Wait a full 3 minutes before disconnecting the battery.

The BSi must be allowed to go to SLEEP ie into "power save mode". Do not operate any equipment on the vehicle during this time. Remember, even opening the bonnet will wake the BSi on a vehicle fitted with alarm.

If the battery is under the bonnet, open the bonnet first and leave it up. Peugeot 807 batteries can be dis-connected through the drivers window, remove floor cover first.

ALWAYS disconnect any DIAG equipment and do not operate any plips from other vehicles during the 3 minute waiting period.

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY RECONNECTION

Unless otherwise instructed by Peugeot or Product Service, you must always carry out the following procedure, often referred to as a "soft re-boot", to minimise the possibility of the BSi corrupting its own software when reconnecting the vehicles battery supply.
    Ensure the procedure for battery disconnection has been adhered to and importantly all BSi functions were switched off with the drivers window left down.

1 Close all doors
    2 Remove ignition key if left in ignition
    3 Reconnect battery. DO NOT open any doors
    4 Wait 10 seconds
    5 Switch on healights through the drivers window (you will hear a "bong")
    6 Switch on ignition then start the vehicle and check system functions

NOTE: Upon reconnection, if any vehicle function controlled by the BSi i.e . interior light is switched on,the internal operation of the BSi has the potential to spike or corrupt its configuration and software program......

Hi Ron,

Thanks very much for that. Its strange cos I left it disconnected all night and kept it in the garage. So far it hasnt happened today. Ill leave it connected now and keep an eye on it. Its booked in for Monday morning with the Ford Garage for a diagnostic test.

Advertisement