Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Access To The Dump For Scavenging

Options
  • 12-11-2009 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

I confess: I have greedy motives. I want to gain access to landfills and recycling spots to look for recycleable plastics and metals.

What are the practicalities of this particular area? Is it possible to do this? Or do you get chased off?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Used to be allowed in westmeath. Not any more. Stopped about 6 years ago. One whole family used come nearly every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Were they called Dolan? :D J/K:cool:

I guess I will have to rummage elsewhere.

I am hoping to get my hands on around €100 worth of wire, pipes, motors etc every week.

Sick of sitting at home waiting for things to "improve":rolleyes:

Thanks anyways, BTW.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

not a chance really

health and safety leglislation

also people now dump computers and you can imagine the fuss if someone let you take a hard drive :rolleyes:

check out stuff like freecycle

find out when the corporation are removing junk form houses and go around shortly before

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The electronic recycle places will sell you ANY of the gear they have for ~50€
    not a chance really

health and safety leglislation

also people now dump computers and you can imagine the fuss if someone let you take a hard drive :rolleyes:

check out stuff like freecycle

find out when the corporation are removing junk form houses and go around shortly before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

i dunno but i took a few processors and ram from one of those free recycling dumps, nobody there said anything to me. made about 30e from them on ebay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

I would be good to get access to a dump , mainly for parts out of washing machines , microwave ovens and anything with motors and electronic components and bearings , to built wind generators and devices like this , i have been researching this for a while what can be done with junk .

This is something that should be allowed for people serioiusly interested in recycling .

I think we should start a campaign to allow people access to dumps and recycling centres to get components that they badly need .

Most of that stuff in recycling centres is wasted .

I am willing to take action on this issue .

Does anyone know how we could campaign to get access to dumps and recycling centres ?

As for paying 50 euro , well who has that for every part they need , probably cheaper to but them new .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC in the UK they have bays at dumps/recycling centers where you can leave stuff to be freecycled , where people can pick it up

here in Ireland we have a compo culture such that most charity shops don't deal in second hand electrical goods because of the possibility of someone suing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

here in Ireland we have a compo culture such that most charity shops don't deal in second hand electrical goods because of the possibility of someone suing

and thats the reason why you aren't allowed on a landfill/dump either to scavanage.... because some one will slip and fall, hurt themselves and sue the pants of the state....

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

robtri wrote: »
    and thats the reason why you aren't allowed on a landfill/dump either to scavanage.... because some one will slip and fall, hurt themselves and sue the pants of the state....

Not only that but they've also realised if they scavenge the dump themselves they can profit from the waste why would the open it to the public when they can turn additional profit, the public liability is just an easy warning to keep people away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

IIRC in the UK they have bays at dumps/recycling centers where you can leave stuff to be freecycled , where people can pick it up

Hmm, is it not more of a fact that if charity shops take in electricals, they have to be part of WEEE, all in or all out, you can imagine why they chose to opt out..

I certainly remember charity shops mentioning a change in European legislation as a reason for refusing to take in any electrical items whatsoever.

I used to scavenge for electronics at a refuse site outside Dublin, all fun and games until they spot your carry on, my feet barely touched the ground for about 3 minutes. I may as well have been planting a bomb.. the way I was handled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement