Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English 2009 paper/ 2010 predictions

Options
  • 11-11-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Which paper is in the past papers: the one they messed up or the one that people actually sat?

I'm fairly sure it's the one people sat but anyway am I right to take the one they messed up into consideration when trying to predict the 2010 paper or should I ignore it?

If I should take it into consideration can anyone tell me where I can get my hands on it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The paper that people sat is in the past papers.

No, you shouldn't take it into consideration. 2 papers are set for the LC, the SEC use one and keep the other as Plan B. Both papers are equal. The SEC don't set the paper according to the previous year. Anyway, the poets, single texts and comparative modes are different this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

No I meant take it into consideration when say picking what poets to study you think well (fake example) WB yeats came up 5 years in a row I wont study him this year, like you look at the paper they sat and take it into account who they put on. Should messed up paper be looked at the same way or totally disregarded.

No I meant take it into consideration when say picking what poets to study you think well (fake example) WB yeats came up 5 years in a row I wont study him this year, like you look at the paper they sat and take it into account who they put on. Should messed up paper be looked at the same way or totally disregarded.

The poets were the same bar one (Montague) on both papers. Don't narrow down too much and leave yourself in a corner in June. However, that said, they'll hardly put up both Keats and Walcott again this year.

Ok thanks. Also I've been hearing conflicting views on whether Longley will come up... my teacher has us studying him but my grinds teacher is almost certain he won't come up, which is right? I have no idea where they're gettin these views from!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Ok thanks. Also I've been hearing conflicting views on whether Longley will come up... my teacher has us studying him but my grinds teacher is almost certain he won't come up, which is right? I have no idea where they're gettin these views from!

usually a female poet and a dead poet comes up- that narrows it down, then look at what came up the last few years and it gives a good general idea...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Boland is pretty much guaranteed to come up as is Yeats...

I'd say T.S Eliot might come up along with Kavanagh but then again they might throw Longley on to throw us off... It's a difficult one to call with Longley tbh...

Modes for Comparitive were learning are V&V and LG cos C.C prob won't come up two years in a row...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

WB yeats came up 5 years in a row I wont study him this year

You'd be foolish to do that, some anniversary of Yeats is coming up and what way to celebrate it other than to stick it on the english paper. In my opinion, anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Boland is pretty much guaranteed to come up as is Yeats...
    Yeah Boland is highly tipped as they always put an Irish poet and a Female poet up and Boland nails both.

Anyway making predictions can be very dodgy, I was one of the people last year who listened to the predictions and only learned Longely properly. Cue paper two mess up, and I was left writing a disastrous keats essay on the day.
    So obviously the lesson here is do not take chances; know at least four poets perfectly and then have one as a back up.

Mary007 wrote: »
    You'd be foolish to do that, some anniversary of Yeats is coming up and what way to celebrate it other than to stick it on the english paper. In my opinion, anyways.

No I was using that as an example, It's not real!

Yeah I'd decided to study Boland and Yeats madly and then someone else not sure who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

No I was using that as an example, It's not real!

Yeah I'd decided to study Boland and Yeats madly and then someone else not sure who.

Oh right cool!! Haha! Maybe Rich? I don't know but I wish I did!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

TBH, none of us have a clue and it could go really bad if some poor eejit banked on the wrong person, and wound up ****ed:rolleyes:

If i had to pick one, id say Yeats for the anniversary thing.
    That said, i have studied most poets, but not him...

I think they stucture this part of the English paper the wrong way,
    it seems like a sick little joke that they seem to want students to be hoping for a particular poet going into the exam. Lets be honest, everyones going to have poets that they know better than others.

They should have an open question on style of poetry or something and then you could apply what you know about him/her into the question:)

With the current way, they really arent getting people to learn about the idea of poetry itself, rather learn a load of titles, themes and quotes of some poets off by heart and regurgitate them as accurately as possible

[/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 amy.can.live

Well isn't it usually always one female poet, one dead poet or something like that?
    I'm going to focus most on the two female poets, Yeats, Kavanagh (pains me to say it cos I don't enjoy reading him at all) and Longley. 5 of them, at least one has to come up right? lol

Wow 5 is a lot, I've whittled it down to 2 and a half!
    And if they don't come up... well the system was wrong not me :p

I'm going to focus most on the two female poets, Yeats, Kavanagh (pains me to say it cos I don't enjoy reading him at all) and Longley. 5 of them, at least one has to come up right? lol

Good options, a woman and an Irish poet have always come up

way to lose 50 marks/12%/nearly a whole grade:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

Well isn't it usually always one female poet, one dead poet or something like that?

Doing the same myself. We haven't done Longley in class yet, and we're doing one other poet. I'll study 6 of them, but do 3 or 4 in proper detail :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

And if they don't come up... well the system was wrong not me :p

You need 5, preferably more poets for the exam. I could've had an A1 in English when I did the LC but didn't have the poets covered and lost out on marks. Maybe when the time comes you'll be lucky and get one of your two, but its really silly to limit yourself like that. Going into the exam with 2 poets is the same as having none. Don't listen to your teacher(s) predictions either, just try and find poets you like on the syllabus and study them. Insist your grinds teacher look at whoever you pick and go through it with you as well, that's what you're paying them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I predict that if you study now, over 6 months to the exam, you will do really well!

Limiting yourself this early on is a bit ridiuclous to be honest.

Advertisement