Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow Gap in New Build

Options
  • 11-11-2009 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there
    I want to use Shadow Gaps instead of Skirting Boards in my new build. I have been told that this will be difficult because the screed is not in place and therefore it will be difficult to figure out how high up the wall the shadow gap should go.
    My question is, can I (of course not me personally)...
    1. Put up plasterboard
    2. Put in UFH and screed
    3. Finish plastering after screed goes in.

Is there a reason for the traditional order of plaster first, screed after?
    Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get my Shadow Gap finish?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What flooring are you using?
    How will you conceal the edge of the flooring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Toastie

What flooring are you using?
    Mostly tiles, some laminate.

How will you conceal the edge of the flooring.
    The floor will run into the gap. Is there a reason to conceal the edge if it is done well?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if you do what you are proposing how would you create the shadow gap??

i think the base of the plasterboard would need to be kept up to create the gap, and finished using proprietory stainless steel z section. This level would have to be predetermined prior to the pouring of the screed. The floor finish can then be installed in the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Toastie wrote: »
    Is there a reason to conceal the edge if it is done well?

Basically, flooring expands and contracts.
    If you lay it tight to the wall, it will buckle. You'll need to be very accurate with the shadow gop to ensure that the flooring can run under without the edge being seen.

Advertisement