Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tin Whistle Sheet Music

Options
  • 11-11-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

does anyone know and sites where I can get some sheet music for the tin whistle?

Im not the best with reading the music so if theres any with the hole notations that would work better.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Have a search on Google for "whistle notation" and or "whistle tab" , heres one that's not great but I'm sure you can find better. http://whistleandsqueak.com/folk_traditional_and_classical

I read that this program can convert Internet ABC music to tin whistle tabs but haven't tried it. http://abc.stalikez.info/abcex.php

This is the best forum if you need to ask questions on anything to do with the whistle:
    http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewforum.php?f=1

This priest is not bad if you want some free online lessons:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RyanDunsSJ

You should really learn how to read music though, it's easy for the whistle and of course try to work things out by ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 whistleandsquea

There are a number of sites with whistle music and tablature. dmoz has good links at http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Music/Instruments/Winds/Tin_Whistle/Tune_Collections/

Whistle and Squeak is my website - it's a hobby and a labor of love that I started several years ago. There are links on the pages to email me with any suggestions or thoughts for improving the site. Admittedly, if one is looking specifically for Irish Traditional, it is hit and miss, as my collection is eclectic.

In any case, I was pleased to see traffic coming from Ireland.

I would definitely encourage learning to read music notation - it will allow you to access a much larger array of music than just what is available with tablature. I arrange the music with tablature to help whistlers get started. Once you've learned a tune comfortably, then play it while you read the music notation to begin associating music staff notation with notes on the whistle.

I should add that if there's a particular tune anyone would like with tablature, I'll arrange and post it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

andr3w103 wrote: »

Pretty useless site for whistle notation for a beginner. I don't know what way they've done it but most of the notation does not suite the tin whistle and the keys used are totally uncommon to how they're normally played at sessions. Total waste of time trying to learn from the whistle notation there, better off using that time to learn to read sheet music or better, learning by ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

Blade wrote: »
    Pretty useless site for wle notation there, better off using that time to learn to read sheet music or better, learning by ear.
    histle notation for a beginner. I don't know what way they've done it but most of the notation does not suite the tin whistle and the keys used are totally uncommon to how they're normally played at sessions. Total waste of time trying to learn from the whist

i dunno .......i thought myself with a book (im not the best at playin it) and it seems to work grand for me....................i think your always better off learning how to read sheet music (or learning by ear) anyway cause then you can play the songs on a few instruments once ye learn the notes for the different instruments ( or if ye learn by ear you dont even need to know the notes) :D

• Advertisement

andr3w103 wrote: »
    i dunno .......i thought myself with a book (im not the best at playin it) and it seems to work grand for me

That's ok for tunes, jigs, reels, hornpipes etc. as they are generally played in set keys. But for songs it's a different story. I had a look at about 10 songs on that site and only one had whistle diagrams that matched how we'd play them. That's why for songs at least you're better off learning by ear only.

Sometimes you can just pick up a different whistle and use the same fingering and be in the correct key. Like if you only know a tune in G and others are playing it in A, you can just pick up an E whistle and play it the exact same way. But more often than not, you'd be completely snookered if you went and learnt songs in uncommon keys.

Advertisement