Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

???Remote connection and static ip address???

Options
  • 11-11-2009 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Ok i'm trying to connect to a remote machine (CCTV recorder). I have obtained a static IP from eircom. It was given in the format 1.2.3.4/32, based on this does anybody know what address i can assign to the recorder and if so must a specific port number be used? and what does the /32 mean?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ok i'm trying to connect to a remote machine (CCTV recorder). I have obtained a static IP from eircom. It was given in the format 1.2.3.4/32, based on this does anybody know what address i can assign to the recorder and if so must a specific port number be used? and what does the /32 mean?

Thanks in advance

The /32 means the amount of bits used to determine the size of the address space. More specifically /32 means it's an address space consisting of a single address and is essentially irrelevent in this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIDR

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Spear wrote: »
    The /32 means the amount of bits used to determine the size of the address space. More specifically /32 means it's an address space consisting of a single address and is essentially irrelevent in this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIDR

Thanks for the reply,
    if this is the case and the given address is say 1.2.3.4, that would be the routers address, so how would one go about connecting to a computer on that routers network, in other words what IP address would one assign to the remote computer? Any help appreciated

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks for the reply,
    if this is the case and the given address is say 1.2.3.4, that would be the routers address, so how would one go about connecting to a computer on that routers network, in other words what IP address would one assign to the remote computer? Any help appreciated

If you're using your static address on your public facing router, you'll need to forward the appropriate ports in use to the internal address machine.

If you're using your static address on your public facing router, you'll need to forward the appropriate ports in use to the internal address machine.

You'll have to forgive me i'm not an expert on this matter, but do you mean that i should use the routers ip address for the remote computer but just change the port number? I know on the local network I can just use a different IP address in the range but with WAN there is no range, just the one address. Thats where i get confused.

You'll have to forgive me i'm not an expert on this matter, but do you mean that i should use the routers ip address for the remote computer but just change the port number? I know on the local network I can just use a different IP address in the range but with WAN there is no range, just the one address. Thats where i get confused.

No, the CCTV recorder will be expecting connections on a certain port. Forward this one on the router to the internal machine which actually has the CCTV software running. Then traffic to the external address and that port will be redirected by the router using NAT to the internal machine.

• Advertisement

No, the CCTV recorder will be expecting connections on a certain port. Forward this one on the router to the internal machine which actually has the CCTV software running. Then traffic to the external address and that port will be redirected by the router using NAT to the internal machine.

Excellent, thank you very much for all your help, much obliged

Eventually managed to get it working, only for another problem to arise.

I have set the recorder (DVR) for port 1010 and I have forwarded port 1010 in NAT. When I enter 1.2.3.4:1010 into a computer on the same network as the DVR, it works fine. I have then attempted it on a computer off site and it worked fine. I have then tried it on my home computer but i am getting a network timeout message. It will however connect to the IP 1.2.3.4 (router) no problem. So.....

• The router's static IP is 1.2.3.4
    • Remote access is enabled on the router
    • The recorder (DVR) is set up for static 1.2.3.4 port 1010
    • Connecting to 1.2.3.4 or 1.2.3.4:1010 is fine on local network
    • Connecting to 1.2.3.4 is fine via internet but 1.2.3.4:1010 is not
    • Should I be using port 3389 here instead of 1010 or does it matter?
    Again, all assistance is very much appreciated

Eventually managed to get it working, only for another problem to arise.

I have set the recorder (DVR) for port 1010 and I have forwarded port 1010 in NAT. When I enter 1.2.3.4:1010 into a computer on the same network as the DVR, it works fine. I have then attempted it on a computer off site and it worked fine. I have then tried it on my home computer but i am getting a network timeout message. It will however connect to the IP 1.2.3.4 (router) no problem. So.....

• The router's static IP is 1.2.3.4
    • Remote access is enabled on the router
    • The recorder (DVR) is set up for static 1.2.3.4 port 1010
    • Connecting to 1.2.3.4 or 1.2.3.4:1010 is fine on local network
    • Connecting to 1.2.3.4 is fine via internet but 1.2.3.4:1010 is not
    • Should I be using port 3389 here instead of 1010 or does it matter?
    Again, all assistance is very much appreciated

The recorder can't have the same address as the router.

Port 3389 is for RDP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

You need to assign a private ip address to the cctv device which is on the internal side of the router.

The static public ip address from eircom should only be configured on the WAN interface of the router.

NAT will need to be configured on the router between the public and internal side of the router and port forwarding configured on the router to forward requests for 1.2.3.4 on port 1010 to the internal ip of the cctv device.

Have a quick readup on internal ip address ranges, nat, port forwarding etc.

By the sounds of it though, if you just change the ip address of the cctv device to say 172.16.0.1 and change the port forwarding config in the router to that address it should work fine..

Advertisement