Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I go with Backboilers?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I have two fireplaces at each end of the house, at the center upstairs I have a hotpress with my Cylinder which have two coils for backboilers.

The pipe distance from each fireplace is around 16m and I was wondering if it's worth getting backboilers to go over this distance?

A few suppliers of stoves have recommended that I avoid having a backboiler on them. So I was wondering if anyone else had another view on it?

My plumber has all the piping in place and has explained that there will be some loss due to the distance. So I just need to make the choice if I want to get a stove a back boiler. (The open fire for the rare times it will be lit will have a back boiler to get something back out of it).

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

ninjaBob wrote: »
    The open fire for the rare times it will be lit will have a back boiler to get something back out of it).

Cheers

All your going to get is some extra hot water (at a time when maybe you don't actually need it) and the backboiler will cause your fire to burn more fuel so don't think of it as free hot water.

If your hot water needs are being met by another timed fuel source there is no real benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

I have 4 radiators that I would like to heat with these backboilers and I would also like to use it to top up my HotWater so my primary source doesn't have to kick in all the time.

Is the loss of heat over this distance significant enought to not warrant using backboilers?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

see these posts for info on using solid fuel

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=79252
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=70492

Firstly note that the two runs from your back boilers at either end of the house MUST be in copper and MUST be 1" and MUST always be rising to the cylinder. If they are insulated I wouldn't worry about heat loss (you'll have plenty of that up the chimney)

In order to heat those four rads (which I'm presuming are heated by another source) your into a whole other headache.

Advertisement