Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Bruno Guitar Institute - anyone taking online tuition from him?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

http://www.jimmybrunoguitarinstitute...ublic/main.cfm

It's been something I've been thinking about for a while. I really like his approach to teaching jazz.

I plan to sign up and get started this weekend.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's signed up.

Cheers,

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aidybop

hey Paul,
    I signed up to the JBGI a while back..i'd certainly recommend it. Its v cheap to sign up (around E40 per quarter so a no brainer really)..his feedback is great and his mastery of jazz guitar is stunning.
    regards,
    aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

Hi Aidan,

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, it definitely seems suited to me. I'll let you know when I start. It would be good to have someone to bounce ideas of.

Cheers,

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aidybop

But be warned: if you don't do exactly as he says in his feedback he will not be happy..he has a lot of students now and the time he can give to each individual is limited. DON'T try to show off how well you can play.. he sees through that quickly ..and follow the lesson structure exactly as it appears...and even if you are not a beginner you should go from the beginning. To an outsider it may appear simplistic (to someone versed in the scale/ mode approach to improv) but it is not..his harmonic approach grows in sophistication introducing outside notes and diminished pitch collections etc.He doesn't talk about scales but pitch collections. Best leave what you already know behind..it is not a quick fix approach to improv but a different way of thinking about it to what you will find in most theory books..Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

I have been a member for over a year now. It is by far the best guitar tuition I have ever got. You get one of the top jazz guitarists in the world to listen critically to your playing and give you advice for $20 a month. What could possibly be bad about that?

He has strong opinions about the way that jazz should be taught, but just listen to his playing and you know that he must know what he is talking about.

Anyway, I rather have someone tell me straight up if I'm screwing up and then tell me a way to improve. Too many good guitarists think that teaching is just a matter of showing off to the student. Jimmy Bruno definitely does not work like that.

Summary: If you want to improve your guitar playing, JBGI is the best place to do it - better than taking live lessons (imo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

aidybop wrote: »
    But be warned: if you don't do exactly as he says in his feedback he will not be happy.

That's exactly what I want. I've heard he's very strict about using his 5-position fingerings and that's fine by me.
    aidybop wrote: »
    Best leave what you already know behind..it is not a quick fix approach to improv but a different way of thinking about it to what you will find in most theory books..Have fun!

The good thing for me is that I basically know nothing about scales and modes, at least in terms of how to apply it to my playing. So there will be nothing for me to "unlearn"!

• Advertisement
Advertisement