Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Triail - HL LC Help please

Options
  • 11-11-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Basically, I moved up to honours irish from pass irish without having any knowledge of anything. I struggle with the subject and cant see myself in this position for much longer but I need to take all my chances and im trying my best. But I don’t seem to understand the Drama ‘An Triail’ le Máiréad Ní Ghráda

Basically it would help me if people were to translate the summaries I was given. (I’ll type them out here and I’ll need them translated word for word, sentence for sentence)

It would really help me on my way through Honours Irish for the leaving cert. Especially since I only made it through to second year in honours irish for the junior cert.

Ok so…. I need to start off with saying that this has alot of errors because the writing is really bad and im trying my best to read it. So please try and understand what im writing

Gníomh I

Radharc I
    - Sa chúirt, cloisimid glór Mháire. “Mharaigh mé mo leanbh de bhrí gur cailín í. Fásann gach cailín suas ina bean. Ach, tá m’iníon saor. Tá sí saor. Ní bheidh sí ina hóinsín bhog ghéilliúil ag aon fhear. Tá sí saor. Tá sí saor.

Radharc II
    - An rince sa teach scoile. Canann Máire an t-amhran ‘Siúil, a Ghrá’. Cuirean Pádraig an maistir scoile nua suim inti. Tá Máire chun dul isteach sna mná rialta, de réir a máthair. Tá deartháir Mháire ag an rince freisin. Liam is ainm dó agus tá a chailín cara Beilí leis. (Not sure about that part the writing is smudged)… Ar ais sa chúirt cloisimis fianaise Liam. Ní ghlacann sé le haon pioc den milleán. De réir liam, bhí Máire aosta go leor aire a thábhairt di féin.

Radharc III
    - Maire agus Pádraig ag Siúil abhaile. Tá Pádraig lán den caint filial ag moladh Máire go hárd na spéire - an cuma álainn atá ar a héadan geal(forehead), a haghaidh beag mhómhar. Insíonn Pádraig di go bhfuil sé féin pósta ach nach bhfuil sé I ngrá lena bhean ach go bhfuil sé I ngrá le Máire

Radharc IV
    - Sa chúirt arís : fianaise na Máthar. Duine críostaí, creidúinach is ea í. Tá sí an-údarásach. Ni ghlacann sí pioc den milleán ach an oiread.

Radharc V
    - Pádraig agus Máire sa teach scoile. Tosaíonn sé ag caint faoina bhean chéile I ndáiríre. Tá an méid atá ar siúil eatarthu álainn agus beannaith de réir Pádraig

another 15 scenes to come... :p;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Em, I don't have time to translate the whole drama for you and even if I did you would learn nothing. Not being funny but if you use your dictionary for the harder words you'll pick up some new vocab.

Basically the gist of the story is that Máire lives with her mother and her two brothers Liam and Seán. Her mother is a religious women, but that does not mean she is a good christian. She wants máire to become a nun, and one of the brothers to become a priest. The other to become a farmer.

However they all have different plans. Máire is a very innocent girl, she is taken advantage of by the school master who she meets at a local dance, He seduces her etc etc by telling her how beautiful she is and that his wife is sick, practically dead so things are very hard for him.

Low and behold they meet regularly behing Máire's mothers back, in secret to do the deed and he makes a lot of false promises to her. Máire winds up pregnant and he doesn't want to know anything about it. Máire is loyal to him never mentions his name once, her mother is ashamed because of what the neighbours might say. Máire runs off, works for a women minding her children however when she finds out that Máire is pregnant she also doesn't want to know because of what the neighbours will think.

There's a huge emphasis on hyprocrity in this book and more than likely the exam question will be based or have some reference to this theme.

Okay have to go now the city is on:D So hope that helps and try reading the rest yourself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

Radharc I
    - Sa chúirt, cloisimid glór Mháire. “Mharaigh mé mo leanbh de bhrí gur cailín í. Fásann gach cailín suas ina bean. Ach, tá m’iníon saor. Tá sí saor. Ní bheidh sí ina hóinsín bhog ghéilliúil ag aon fhear. Tá sí saor. Tá sí saor.

In court, we hear (can't think of what glór is) Maire. "I killed my baby because she was a girl. Every girl grows up to be a woman. But, my daughter is free. She is free. She can't be made a fool out of by any man (or something along the lines of that). She is free. She is free."

Radharc II
    - An rince sa teach scoile. Canann Máire an t-amhran ‘Siúil, a Ghrá’. Cuirean Pádraig an maistir scoile nua suim inti. Tá Máire chun dul isteach sna mná rialta, de réir a máthair. Tá deartháir Mháire ag an rince freisin. Liam is ainm dó agus tá a chailín cara Beilí leis. (Not sure about that part the writing is smudged)… Ar ais sa chúirt cloisimis fianaise Liam. Ní ghlacann sé le haon pioc den milleán. De réir liam, bhí Máire aosta go leor aire a thábhairt di féin.

The dance in the school. Maire sings the song "Walk, my love". Pádraig, the new school teacher, puts/has an interest in her. Maire is going to be joining the nuns, according to her mother (not word for word, I'm pretty sure that's the general idea). Maire's brother is dancing too. His name is Liam and is girl friend Beili is with him. Back in the court we hear Liam's evidence... Not sure of the next lines.

Radharc III
    - Maire agus Pádraig ag Siúil abhaile. Tá Pádraig lán den caint filial ag moladh Máire go hárd na spéire - an cuma álainn atá ar a héadan geal(forehead), a haghaidh beag mhómhar. Insíonn Pádraig di go bhfuil sé féin pósta ach nach bhfuil sé I ngrá lena bhean ach go bhfuil sé I ngrá le Máire

Maire and Padraig are walking home. Not completely sure of the next few lines :P From insíonn - Padraig tells her that he is married but he isn't in love with his wife, but he is in love with Maire.

Radharc IV
    - Sa chúirt arís : fianaise na Máthar. Duine críostaí, creidúinach is ea í. Tá sí an-údarásach. Ni ghlacann sí pioc den milleán ach an oiread.

In court again: Mother's evidence. Christian person, she's religious. She is very uthoritative. She doesn't accept any blame (something along the lines of that)

Radharc V
    - Pádraig agus Máire sa teach scoile. Tosaíonn sé ag caint faoina bhean chéile I ndáiríre. Tá an méid atá ar siúil eatarthu álainn agus beannaith de réir Pádraig

Padraig and Maire is the school. He starts talking about his wife in earnest. Can't think of the rest, I'm really tired, so that's the best I can do :P

You should try and translate the rest of them yourself though, it's not that difficult once you get a word or two you get the general idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

thanks laura that actually makes sense to what i have been reading. I'm trying to translate it with a dictionary. I'll try my best but for now im typing it up so ill post it anyway

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Glór = voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

Using focail.ie is even faster than the dictionary, learned that thanks to my resident Irish agony aunt here!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

The first person I've known of to move UP, in my school higher level irish is down to about 15, including those who arent gonna count it in their points

Advertisement