Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sunday Times article

Options
  • 11-11-2009 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Was very surprised no one has mentioned the article in last weeks sunday times re. drinking and driving
    It had a td and a motoring journalist tested and then retested after a couple of pints
    As to the result; well lets just say mattie mcgrath aint all that wrong!
    The politician was well under the limit after two pints which puts the hysteria
    re. the new drink driving limits in perspective
    All this sh%%e about one drinkie turning you in to a remorseless killing machine was put to bed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There was a thread iirc, with a title something like "Drink makes FF TDs better drivers"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote: »

No, he's talking about the other FF TD, not Mattie McGrath, who scientifically proved FF TDs drive better after taking drink. Mattie McGrath reckoned it, but had no proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

GV Wright and Jim McDaid were just unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Nah the bit i found interesting was the driving school instructor and the spokesman from the rsa who didnt want to believe the results whilst if it was the other way around they would be shouting it from the rooftops
    As regards the td being under the limit, well couldnt see two pints putting you over it in normal conditions
    A member of the gs will probally come on and say "well i pulled, convicted etc drivers who had claimed to have drank as little as two pints "
    Dont really know the ins and outs of the tests but have seen first hand:
    (a)as a passenger last year the driver being stopped on the way home and bagged . he passed and as i was with him all night can attest to the fact that he had drunk five large ale from eleven thirty until twenty to one
    ok he is used to it etc etc but still???
    (b)collecting a "friend" one night about ten years ago from the local station
    he "failed" at the roadside but when tested in the station he passed
    according to him he had about ten or eleven drinks over a five hour period

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Nah the bit i found interesting was the driving school instructor and the spokesman from the rsa who didnt want to believe the results whilst if it was the other way around they would be shouting it from the rooftops
    As regards the td being under the limit, well couldnt see two pints putting you over it in normal conditions
    A member of the gs will probally come on and say "well i pulled, convicted etc drivers who had claimed to have drank as little as two pints "
    Dont really know the ins and outs of the tests but have seen first hand:
    (a)as a passenger last year the driver being stopped on the way home and bagged . he passed and as i was with him all night can attest to the fact that he had drunk five large ale from eleven thirty until twenty to one
    ok he is used to it etc etc but still???
    (b)collecting a "friend" one night about ten years ago from the local station
    he "failed" at the roadside but when tested in the station he passed
    according to him he had about ten or eleven drinks over a five hour period

It will obviously affect different people in different ways. The small numbers tested in this case maybe in no way representative of the population as a whole. Sample size is too small to give reliable results tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

A while back a group of us did a test over an evening meal and drinks using official Garda breathalyser equipment. What was surprising was the differing findings from person to person. Some were hitting amber after one glass of wine and failing on two whereas I personally couldn't get the thing to fail. It was only after multiple glasses of wine (lost count but at least a half dozen) followed by my third pint of beer that I finally went over the limit. Long before that stage I felt well hammered and in no way capable of controlling a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

A while back a group of us did a test over an evening meal and drinks using official Garda breathalyser equipment. What was surprising was the differing findings from person to person. Some were hitting amber after one glass of wine and failing on two whereas I personally couldn't get the thing to fail. It was only after multiple glasses of wine (lost count but at least a half dozen) followed by my third pint of beer that I finally went over the limit. Long before that stage I felt well hammered and in no way capable of controlling a car.

Did you wait 20 minutes after taking a drink?? If not it could be throwing off the results as far as i know!!

Advertisement