Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Capitals' fleet was a lot more modest in 1999

Options
  • 11-11-2009 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

... a dry cut for £2.:rolleyes: Back in the day a bit but a lot of cars in the video by chance, a jcb,learner bus, a few skips, lorries... the usual 99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

B11gt00e wrote: »
    ... a jcb,learner bus, a few skips, lorries...

not to mention the forklift going along backwards at full tilt and with a full load :D

(boooooring vid, btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Actually quite interesting ...had a quick scan through and by my reckoning a single 91-93 shape Celica was the only remotely modern , sporty car ...(There was a Capri too!)...ten years on ,on a drive like that youd be more likely to spot a handful of Maserati /Aston Martin /Porsche etc etc than that 2 litre sports coupe on a typical drive round town.Insurance on sporty stuff was a joke back then in case you Tiger Cubs have forgotten ...I remember a case of a guy 26 years old being asked to pay 600-800 EXTRA going from a 1 to 1.2 Litre Micra...It wasnt unusual for a typical first time motorist to be 30 or older...Ah the good ole days (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nice to see something haven't changed in 10 years... the rain. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

A distinct shortage of BMWs, Mercs and Audis in comparison to now. It's possible now to drive on the M6 to Athlone and see nothing but Mercs in the rearview mirror...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

JHMEG wrote: »
    A distinct shortage of BMWs, Mercs and Audis in comparison to now. It's possible now to drive on the M6 to Athlone and see nothing but Mercs in the rearview mirror...

Nice Volvo at the start though. Surely they were a bit of prestige back then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

peasant wrote: »
    not to mention the forklift going along backwards at full tilt and with a full load :D

(boooooring vid, btw)

The vid is seriously boring... I just posted it for the stuff going on on the road... and the nostalgic value of knowing the particular stretch or road pretty well.. so was cool to see it the old way before all the changes.

.. I enjoyed not seeing all mercs audis and beamers... there was one red 3 series coupe down at the junction near the brazen head pup turning left onto the quays... it would have been mad sporty back then.

Nice to see the comments here... pity the video wasn't shot from the drivers' eye perspective looking out the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

B11gt00e wrote: »
    The vid is seriously boring... I just posted it for the stuff going on on the road... and the nostalgic value of knowing the particular stretch or road pretty well.. so was cool to see it the old way before all the changes.

.. I enjoyed not seeing all mercs audis and beamers... there was one red 3 series coupe down at the junction near the brazen head pup turning left onto the quays... it would have been mad sporty back then.

Nice to see the comments here... pity the video wasn't shot from the drivers' eye perspective looking out the front.
    Don't forget the Passats!!

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Nice Volvo at the start though. Surely they were a bit of prestige back then?

I don't think they were ever "prestige" in this country. Safe and yes they were perceived to be expensive and for the middle classes like school teachers, but not Merc-like prestige.. the likes of hoteliers and owners of gravel pits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

JHMEG wrote: »
    I don't think they were ever "prestige" in this country. Safe and yes they were perceived to be expensive and for the middle classes, but not Merc-like prestige.

Fair enough point.

Oops, I missed owners of bacon factories too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Boxy starlets, boxy Micras, at least two Renault 5's, at least two Metros... and midnight blue Punto's bloody EVERYWHERE....

Was this pre-NCT or when it just applied to pre-92 cars? Can't remember the exact introduction dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Heaps of smiley front Transits about, I'm sure heaps of these are still on the streets unlike the current model which would be less likely to survive the decade.

Advertisement