Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgrading from a mini mal 7'10, which board?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

HI
    I have finally got the hang of my minimal and wish to downgrade to a shorter board. My height is about 6'1", around 14stone.

I have 2 options,
    1. Brand new O'Shea 6'6 Fish PU Surfboard, roughly 300euros new,
    or
    2. 6'6" x 19.5" x 2.5" Beachbeat Short Board
    Squashtail Thruster second hand for around 250 euros. In perfect condition

Anyone got an opion on these boards.

I am thinking be nice to have a new board. I would really appreciate anyone opinions or if anyone has these boards for advice.
    #

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Here is my experience. I went from a 7'9" to a 7' when I wanted to progress and I found it a sizeable jump. I could manage it but I'm delighted I didn't go shorter still. The 7' is waaay more frisky, way more responsive and I have to pop up waaay quicker or it goes from beneath me feet. I like the challenge of pushing me self with it and I don't get frustrated so its not a bother learning with it. I think that is more important than any particular type of board. I'm about the same weight and height as you. I went back to the 7'9" and now realise that I have still plenty of things to learn on that. I actually prefer it to the 7' but I'm still happy I got it cos I like to have something to aim towards. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

pm me if you are selling your 7'10" id be very interested

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

Hey,

Going from a 7'10 to a 6'6 is a big jump. If you are going that low I would suggest more volume so maybe 20 1/2 or 21 width and 2 1/2 thickness minimum. I went from a 7'9 to a 7'4 evolution spider board. That was a big jump for me as the 7'4 was very light. I then stupidely went for a 6'2 quad and lasted about 2 sessions on it before going back to 7'4. I recently got a 6'7 westbay slayer and am still just getting the hang of that.

Of the 2 options you have given, I would def go for the fish if I were you which should have way more volume than the beachbeat squashtail shortboard. I think you would regret going for the short board. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

o sheas are chinese boards if im not mistaken. I've an 2nd hand O'shea longboard and its a nightmare for delaminating.

i googled it and the dims seem decent enough. 6'6 x 21 1/2 x 2 3/4. That's loads of float.

Although for a few bob more you could get a brand new high quality custom board from you local shaper. There's a reason why o'sheas are so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭noworries2004

Hey all
    Cheers for yer response. I would love to go to a local shaper but cant afford it for the time being, Want to get a cheapish shortboard to improve my surfing when i have this mastered i would then consider getting a local shaper.
    No minimal wont be for sale, giving it to my buddy.

With regards length i have been relooking and maybe consider a bigger board.
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]O'Shea 6'11 Big Boy Red EPS Epoxy Surfboard

Comes with FREE O'Shea Padded Board Bag, Leash, Fins & Delivery.

These boards are shaped to cope with a wide variety of conditions. from mushy onshore days to the perfect offshore cordrouy days these thrusters will perform. With a moderate width and a low rocker line they carry speed through flat sections. These boards are an ideal first time thruster.

Epoxy eps is a combination of epoxy resins and expanded polystyrene foam core. Benefits include lighter weight, and increase strength, particularly greater impact resistance to dings! Tru-Flex technology allows a flex patten that is more a kin to the feel under foot of traditional polyester boards.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Length: 6'11" Big Boy
    Width: 20.75"
    Thickness: 2.75"
    Fin set-up: 3 FCS compatible - Fins are included in the package

Gloss Finish
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Think this noard might be a bit more suitable with regards changing over to a short board.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cheers all for the advice and if anyone knows anything about the above board and yet again advice is well appreciated.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nothing better than asking someone who knows what they are doing with regards buying a board.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nice one,
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭noworries2004

Finally decided with great help from the staff in Incide in Cork.
    downgraded to 7' mal ripcurl. Alot more lighter and cant wait to try it out. Plus got 25% off it so was a bargain. They have sale at the moment so going to practise my turning etc. So cant wait to try it out,
    Cheers for all yer advice and maybe next board will be a short board
    Cool see ye in the swell.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Is 7ft not a shortboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

Finally decided with great help from the staff in Incide in Cork.
    downgraded to 7' mal ripcurl. Alot more lighter and cant wait to try it out. Plus got 25% off it so was a bargain. They have sale at the moment so going to practise my turning etc. So cant wait to try it out,
    Cheers for all yer advice and maybe next board will be a short board
    Cool see ye in the swell.

enjoy that one just had one in for ding repairs, 4 surfs and picked up 9 dings!
    theres a reason they are so light!
    they arent glassed very strong!

Advertisement