Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need help - something up with my car

Options
  • 11-11-2009 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Something is wrong wit my car (Ford Fiesta year 2000) . I went & collected my daugher & her friends from school & was dropping 2 of them off, turned off ignition to open boot.
    I went to start my car again & it wouldn't. (just a clicking noise) The lights come on & then the radio but not the engine itself. The engine won't tick over. Now my petrol light came on yesterday so one of the dad's put some petrol in
    and it still won't start. They even gave me a push and still nothing.
    When you turn the key the lights come on & the radio starts but not the engine. Also when this happened the clock went back to 0.00 - any advise, would it have been the low petrol & now it needs a jump start.
    Also while I was waiting for kids to come out of school, i left my car running for a few mins, then turned it off but opened my boot then, just slightly & that was open for a good 10 mins (would the light in there have drained the battery), however it did start then hence me getting most of the way home until i turned off ignition again
    My head is wrecked now. I can't afford any repairs

After we put petrol in I tried ignition straight away. Could I have flooded the car.
    TBH I am just clutching at straws here.
    I haven't tried restarting it since as it is on my friends road & I can't get out with young baby.

All advise greatly appreciated.
    Warning: Please ask any questions in simple normal non techie english, i'm not very car savvy lol

Thanks a mil
    PLEASE HELP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sounds like you need a new battery and don't be driving the car in the red your only dragging crap from the bottom of the petrol tank into the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Hi,

When you turn the key in the ignition does the engine appear to want to 'turn over' or is it just ticking? Honestly it seems to be your battery but could be your starter motor. Have you tried to 'push start' it, in second gear, with some hefty people pushing grom behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭laurynsmam

It is just ticking, engine not trying to do anything at all:(
    Engine is fairly new, less than a year old.

Tried to push start it but i was actualyl only in 1st gear & not that hefty of people pushing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Need a new battery by the sounds of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

get a m8 with jump leads and a car. Try to jump start yours. If it starts up then your battery is most likely shot. Nick your mates while he/she aint looking.

If you get a replacement battery and the problem persists then your alternator (battery charger) is gone. That can be a bit more expensive.

• Advertisement

sorry just noticed my last post, I meant to say the Battery is less than a year old. not the flippin engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

is it a single tick or a repeated ticking noise when u turn the key?

A single click might mean a stuck solenoid on your starter. You might be able to help this along with a gentle tap with a hammer to the starter motor if you can locate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

laurynsmam wrote: »
    Something is wrong wit my car (Ford Fiesta year 2000) . I went & collected my daugher & her friends from school & was dropping 2 of them off, turned off ignition to open boot.
    I went to start my car again & it wouldn't. (just a clicking noise) The lights come on & then the radio but not the engine itself. The engine won't tick over. Now my petrol light came on yesterday so one of the dad's put some petrol in
    and it still won't start. They even gave me a push and still nothing.
    When you turn the key the lights come on & the radio starts but not the engine. Also when this happened the clock went back to 0.00 - any advise, would it have been the low petrol & now it needs a jump start.
    Also while I was waiting for kids to come out of school, i left my car running for a few mins, then turned it off but opened my boot then, just slightly & that was open for a good 10 mins (would the light in there have drained the battery), however it did start then hence me getting most of the way home until i turned off ignition again
    My head is wrecked now. I can't afford any repairs

After we put petrol in I tried ignition straight away. Could I have flooded the car.
    TBH I am just clutching at straws here.
    I haven't tried restarting it since as it is on my friends road & I can't get out with young baby.

All advise greatly appreciated.
    Warning: Please ask any questions in simple normal non techie english, i'm not very car savvy lol

Thanks a mil
    PLEASE HELP

OK. So once started the car will run. So the alternator is alright. The battery is new so that should be OK too. The fuel flooding? Well, some Fords are notorious for that, but it clears quickly. If the battery was the problem then the radio should have demanded a key number. It sounds like a starter motor problem that is easy to solve if you have the tools and don 't mind lying under cars in the wet.

I don't know if it complies with Boards rules, but if we knew where you where some of us might be able to help.

problem solved. hubby jump started it & it is perfect now. I must have drained the battery somehow

Advertisement