Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of a huge pile of Leylandii

Options
  • 11-11-2009 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Had half a donzen very mature leylandii trees cut down earlier this week and now im left with a huge pile of them in the middle of my relatively small back garden.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of these, pefrably without having to pay sombody to do it! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Do you have a chainsaw? If so just debranch and shred the small stuff, then crosscut the stems into blocks that can be split and burned.
    Shredded material goes to your local composting place.
    Maybe if you advertise free firewood?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Had half a donzen very mature leylandii trees cut down earlier this week and now im left with a huge pile of them in the middle of my relatively small back garden.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of these, pefrably without having to pay sombody to do it! :D

Halloween 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

A lot of people have wood burning stoves and are always on the lookout for wood. Having two myself I would be in that group ( cant pass a pallet ). I have even chopped my own leylandii and burned them! Loads of people like me, just ask locally. You will still have the problem of disposing of the small stuff but that is manageable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

muggyog wrote: »
    A lot of people have wood burning stoves and are always on the lookout for wood. Having two myself I would be in that group ( cant pass a pallet ). I have even chopped my own leylandii and burned them! Loads of people like me, just ask locally. You will still have the problem of disposing of the small stuff but that is manageable.

When I go for a walk in the woods with my wife and child I always grab a good branch or two each time and bring it/them home - always great for getting the stove going.... I am a sad, sad man. When my wife recounted this/these incidents to my mother - for the laugh, my Mum just hung her head and said - his father did the same thing!!! One time he found a solid log and carried it back to the car, he had to stop and rest a few times....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭enol

Maybe you've got rid of your trees by now, but I would have thought any local lad selling logs would be more than happy to come & take them away for free, if you don't know of anyone, I know a god guy based on Meath who'll do it for you, PM me if you want his details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ortensia

I had same problem .Lelandyi dont really burn so no one wants it. I had to pay to have them chipped and spread the chips on ground where they broke down some enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ortensia wrote: »
    I had same problem .Lelandyi dont really burn so no one wants it. I had to pay to have them chipped and spread the chips on ground where they broke down some enough.
    They burn alright, it's just most people don't want to wait to season the wood.
    I had a couple of big leylandii 30+"DBH blow down in a storm a few years back, I cut them up seasoned them for a year or so and they burn fine, in fact they are excellent for making into kindling as they burn so hot and fast.
    Conifers always get bad press as firewood but all wood burns and produces heat if properly seasoned.
    leylandii does get very light once dry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Agree with this comment. High resin content so they do burn well even when freshly cut ( need a well established fire for this ).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

muggyog wrote: »

Same here. Took up about 5 last year, stripped them and use the trunks for firewood. Small stuff is great for tinder when dry. Recycle!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

you could look on farming forestry here on boards, there are a few firewood threads there with people looking for firewood

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 amc156

Hi, sorry for being off topic here but you all seem to be a step ahead of me in the removing Leylandii task. I know absolutely nothing about getting trees removed but my Neighbour is insisting that the 8 trees separating our back gardens but growing from my side need to go... Just wondering how much it cost you all to get these trees taken down in the first place and is it a massive job?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

I'd never price a job without looking at it first. Felling the trees could be a simple job if there is plenty of space to drop them into, or it could be a difficult job if you have a cluttered garden with sheds, greenhouses, flowerbeds etc all over the place. Ring a couple of local lads and see what they quote you.

johno

• Registered Users Posts: 15 amc156

Thanks Johno, I'm almost afraid to find out what they quote but its got to be done I guess. Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kwacker84

Where are you located?

Advertisement