Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish

Options
  • 11-11-2009 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

So...
    There's very few resources for students studying Spanish in general - compared to French anyway.
    I dont do Spanish in school so I feel a bit lost!

Does anyone have the rapid revision Spanish? As far as I know that is the only revision book available for Spanish...
    If so , is it worth getting?

The biggest problem for me is the opinion pieces , all the other parts of the exam are straightforward enough and easy to practice.. I dont have any resources for topics , vocab , sample opinion pieces etc...
    What kind of topics are you guys doing in school?

Like Im pretty good at Spanish - just lacking resources to improve my spanish if you understand?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

I do spanish, rapid revision is worth getting definately. I have an awful teacher, so we havn't done any essays or anything like that yet, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Hey :)
    Thanks for replying , yeh i might buy that then...
    What kind of stuff does it have in it?
    The information given online about is really vague so doesnt actually say what it has in it!
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Yeah that's the annoying thing. The only reason for it is because fewer people do Spanish in comparison to French.

I only did LC Spanish last year, so I can give you a few pointers.
    Look at different aspects of Spanish culture e.g. bullfighting, Fiestas (festivals celebrated throughout Spain- semana santa, carnaval, la tomatina), Spanish Royal Family. Putting these elements in your notes/ Diary entries whenever you can are impressive.
    Learn Idioms: Meta it's a LC Spanish book by Authentik is great for newspaper article, vocab (although a lot of it is slang, which a lot of teachers mightn't have come across so beware) and idioms.
    Listen to Spanish (Vamos a escuchar and disc or listen to Spanish news)
    Oral: Just practise, and know the roleplays well.

Opinion pieces were tricky for me in 6th year. The important thing is to follow a formula-
    (1) state for/against plus relevance of argument to today's society;
    (2) plan your argument before hand on a rough page with pointers;
    (3) Introduce your view, Balance your opinion, by adding in counter arguments and giving your view on that.
    (4) Strong conclusion that's to the point.
    Just keep trying and writing while taking these points on board. By this I increased my grade and did really well in the opinion piece. Also now as I'm studying Spanish in college I can deal with written pieces better.

Good luck!

DjCervi , Thanks for the reply :)

Do you know of anywhere you can get opinion pieces , are they in rapid revision?

So for the aspects of spanish culture , would you recommend learning off voacb relating to these topics yeh?

Il get Meta then :)

I got Vamos A Escuchar , im halfway through it and iv only had it for 2 weeks.. Any other aural books? I've done all the past papers..

You dont by any chance , have any opinion pieces on your cumputer do ya? Because I have never seen a proper one before! :(

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I don't know where you can get them. My teacher did out notes on the opinion and gave us vocab to deal with it. I'm sure you could get them in Rapid Revision.

Yeah learn vocabulary in relation to the different aspects of Spanish culture. Last year in my exam, Drinking in public areas (El Botellon)came up and it's a big thing among spaniards. Current affairs is also good such as the recession, Unemployment (as it's high enough in Spain atm). Alcohol, drugs, youth culture are also things to watch out for and learn vocab on. Meta should help you there.

In terms of aural I think you can get Meta with a tape. Authentik's website would tell you. You could also listen to the Spanish radio, but that could freak you out and would be more suited to college students of Spanish.

If I can find any opinions/ notes I'll scan them and pm you.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips ,
    That would be brilliant if you did find any notes , dont put yourself under pressure though , Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

the listening exercises towards the end of vamos a eschuchar 2 are far more difficult than the ones that come up in the a ctual leaving cert. imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 donam321

rapid revision def worth getting has tips on everytin both levels:o

Advertisement