Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest science subject to repeat from now to June??

Options
  • 11-11-2009 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Need a science subect to get into primary teaching. Can i get some views on what subject is the easiest? What about experiments etc? Would I need to attend classes or can I do it all from home. Thanx:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

All 3 sciences need you to attend classes or somehow perform the various experiments which is not particularly easy I would say.
    For easiness
    Chemistry: The most-difficult science out of them all, extremely tough course, huge jump from J.C. chemistry, Getting the materials for the experiments is nigh on impossible outside of a school or laboratory.

Physics: Apparently 2nd most difficult, the experiments in physics would not be too difficult to replicate as far as I know, as long as your good with formulae and enjoy physics its easy enough to do.

Biology: By far the easiest science of them all, No understanding is required in nearly all of the course, as long as you can memorise terms, diagrams e.t.c. it is easy. The experiments though would be pretty difficult to do correctly without a laboratory.

I'd choose Physics if you wanted to do it at home, If you have access to any type of lab Biology all the way, Biology is the easiest of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

Im starting Agricultural Science next Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

I'd say Biology, once you do exam questions on the different topics, it's grand :)

And I'm not too sure, but is Home Ec considered a science subject? Just in case you already do it :P

I'm hoping to do primary teaching, and I don't think you need a science subject.
    These are requirements for St. Pats anyways:

Leaving Certificate examination(s) with Grade C3 Higher Level in not less than three subjects, Grade D3 in three other subjects, Grade C3 in Honours Irish, Grade C3 in English Ordinary Level or D3 Higher Level, Grade D3 in Mathematics (either ordinary or higher level).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aoifeX

i am doing biology ag science and chemistry and i defintly wouldnt recommend keeping on chemistry at this stage!

i wouldnt worry about not having access to labs for experiments in biology as this really isnt necessary as long as you write them up, understand them and most importantly learn them! i think there is 23 altogether so its not to bad!
    ag science is grand aswell and is even easier if you have geography and knowledge or interest in farming. Also it is a one year course anyway.

i know nothing about physics but if you are good at maths it might be an easier option.
    Depends weather you want to spend the year learning or doing maths i suppose!

hope this helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Do you need a science subject to get into primary teaching? I don't think you need it for Mary I anyway.

• Advertisement

Biology for sure, learning most of Units 1 & 2 will get you a pass, and the more you learn from Unit 3 the higher your grade will be.

Actually, on second thoughts, all of the lab sciences have mandatory experiments that have to be completed and written up under teacher supervision, and signed by your teacher. Dunno how you can get around that without doing it in school, so you might have to repeat to do a lab science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

It kind of depends on whether you're better at Maths or at subjects with a lot of rote learning.

In absolute terms, Biology is the easiest to do well in, as for the most part it's just straight rote learning. It's not hard to understand so it's well suited to self-teaching, but you might find it tedious if you don't like rote learning, because the course is very long.

However, Physics is a much shorter course, and you might find it more manageable if you're mathsy - BUT unlike Biology, you can't simply "learn" Physics. You need to understand it, and some of the course (particularly Electricity) can be hard to get your head around.

As people have stated before, AVOID Chemistry. It's just not a subject that comes naturally to most people. A lot of it is very hard to understand, and there's more experiments in it than the other sciences.

Personally, I'd recommend doing Biology. It's the least risky option to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

All 3 sciences need you to attend classes or somehow perform the various experiments which is not particularly easy I would say.
    For easiness
    Chemistry: The most-difficult science out of them all, extremely tough course, huge jump from J.C. chemistry, Getting the materials for the experiments is nigh on impossible outside of a school or laboratory.

Physics: Apparently 2nd most difficult, the experiments in physics would not be too difficult to replicate as far as I know, as long as your good with formulae and enjoy physics its easy enough to do.

Biology: By far the easiest science of them all, No understanding is required in nearly all of the course, as long as you can memorise terms, diagrams e.t.c. it is easy. The experiments though would be pretty difficult to do correctly without a laboratory.
    I would agree with chemistry, it's definetly a subject that a teacher would be required. JC chemistry to LC chemistry is an astronomical jump.

Physics depends on your mathematical ability, the course isn't too long. If you enjoy and are good at maths, then I'd say to give it a go. Get a book called "Real World Physics" by Dan O' Regan published by Folens. It's a great book and explains everything quite well with diagrams, even the experiments. Gives examples of the maths problems.
    However a good competency in maths is required.

Biology is an easier choice, but the course it longer. There's alot of stuff in it that is easy to understand. There is some difficult stuff, but the vast majority of it is okay. If you're commited and learn your stuff you'll be grand. Experiments are okay (haven't done much of them myself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KateC92

Biology is definetly the easiest, basically you just have to learn it all off, and if you did home ec for junior cert it would be even easier.

Physics is good if you love maths. It's fairly straightforward and logical.

Chemistry is quiet hard and you really have to be interested in it. Unless it's a neccessity, like for medicine or veterinary or your course involves chemistry, I would not reccomend it.

Advertisement