Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stove/backboiler with hrv

Options
  • 11-11-2009 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi

I am in the process of doing a selfbuild.I am building an airtight timberframe house using hrv and intend to use solar panels for DHW and an oil condensed boiler plus a solid fuel stove/backboiler option.As regards the oil condensing boiler,I inquired from firebird if they supply boilers that burn kerosene oil or biofuels and they said no as each burners nozzle for light flame is different for each type of fuel.they said you could still burn different fuels with the boiler only the nozzle would require changing on a more regular basis.Is this true?

As regards stove/backboiler option in conjunction with hrv requires an external air source to fuel the stove and yet many stove suppliers do not offer this feature.has anyone installed the stove/backboiler into an airtight house and what advice can one give?Finally cam across a company called anki chimneys that deliver a more efficeinet chimney/flue system and i spoke to one their sales people who stated that their system when used with the stove/backboiler option provides a far more efficient stove than in conjunction with the standard block and clay chimney due to its high insulation properties allowing the extraction of gasses from the stove faster.Anyone installed this system in a house ,hrv or otherwise?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

dbeermat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I am building an airtight house with a stove/backboiler. Its a Wodtke room sealed stove.

External airsupply is on a automatic valve and is fed directly through the wall. The valve shuts off the airsupply when not in use and the feed pipe is insulated.

The chimeny is just a insulated stainless steel flue. We looked at lots of systems (sheadle etc) and went for the most simple solution that remained sealed.

Also have a room sealed fondis inset stove in another room with the same air inlet but the chimney is a standard claypot in this case as that what recomended by the supplier.

I will let you know in a few weeks how the airtightness test goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dbeermat93

HI

DO you mean there is an insulated stainless steel flue pipe going up to the top of the chimney surrounded by an outer block all roud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

Leadership wrote: »
    Also have a room sealed fondis inset stove in another room with the same air inlet

I have purchased a Fondis Stella double sided inset stove. I thought these could be room sealed? But I see the air control intake is a lever at the front of the stove. Adn there appears to be no way of connecting an external air intake at the bottom of the stove.

I would be interested in hearing how you got on with installing your stove, also what model is it?

Mactheknife

I am still undecided as to what stove/backboiler option,free standing or inset.I am meeting with the plumber next week to discuss the max btu required for the room if we want to heat 10 rads or so (each rad uses about 5000btu but we are using the alurad efficient rads and so that must be taken into account too) which is open plan.

I will keep you informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

Best of luck with it. A tough choice. Maybe user "Leadership" can tell us of his experience with the Stella. Particularly the external air connection.

• Advertisement

I am now thinking of getting the hakr 1103 zeus stove/backboiler option.I was in at flamebydesign in cork yesterday and they had this model.it is an insert stove with an output of 28kw which supplys over 10kw to the water and rest to the room,it will heat 10 -12 rads comfortably (up to 15,not sure as i must query this abecause i hope to use alurad high efficient rads which use less water and heat quickly compared with standard rad)

Flameby design will install the flue system also and the plinth etc.they do all the aesthetics around the stove etc which is great,too many cooks and all that.the stove is 1890 euros.will update when i know more

Advertisement