Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Claim Time Frame

Options
  • 11-11-2009 3:29pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Had a crash yesterday, and have damaged my car really badly (garage reckons it might be BER):(. I called the Gardai, and informed my insurance, so the wheels are in motion so to speak. However, I was so shaken up, I didn't ask what exactly was going to happen. I've never had a crash before so I'm pretty clueless about the whole process.

The shock has worn off a bit today, and what I want to know is how long all of this is going to take to sort out. If the insurance assessor comes out and agrees the car is a write off, do they just issue me a cheque for the book price of the car? If the car is fixable, do they just give the garage the OK to start work and then give me back the car? If anyone has any experiences with this, and how long it all usually takes, I'd love to hear about it!

Also, if it is written off, would anyone have any ideas how much I'm likely to get for it? It's a 04 Rover45 Classic, with the new shape, like this (but obviously with a Rover badge, not the MG one). I have it insured for €5000, but I obviously wouldn't expect to get anything close to that. :o

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Assuming the car is BER and you are claiming off your comp the insurance company will place a Pre Accident Value and salvage value on the vehicle leaving a net loss figure. The insurance may offer you the net value and you retain the vehicle and sort out the salvage yourself or the insurance will take the salvage and pay you the PAV.
    Be prepared the value of your car will be far less than you believe due to the economic situation and the fact 2nd hand cars have fallen in value.

If car is repairable the insurance company may pay the garage direct subject to all parties agreeing.

If you are claiming off another drivers insurance then liability must be investigated before any settlement is entered into.

Advertisement