Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gsce v Leaving Cert

Options
  • 11-11-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Anyone know the Leaving Cert equivalent to GCSE passes at grade C or above, or equivalent qualifications, in English, Mathematics, and Science is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

I could be wrong but I think the GCSE is the equivalent to the Junior Cert. Its the A-Levels that are the equivalent to the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The gcse is the english junior cert

The a levels are the english leaving cert and i would take the leaving cert any day over the a-levels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I always thought GCSE was ordinary level leaving cert. A levels are more advanced than higher leaving cert but they only do 4 subjects i think.

To 'answer' your question I would guess the Leaving Cert equivalent to GCSE passes at grade C or above, or equivalent qualifications, in English, Mathematics, and Science is

Ordinary leaving cert english grade C
    Ordinary leaving cert maths grade C

Dunno about science. Any of the leaving cert sciences at grade C ordinary level?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

pathway33 wrote: »
    A levels are more advanced than higher leaving cert but they only do 4 subjects i think.
    That's very debatable, most people who have had experience of the A levels and Leaving cert say that the subjects are done in almost the same amount of detail. I believe there are studies that say the same, but I can't find them right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Lawliet wrote: »
    That's very debatable, most people who have had experience of the A levels and Leaving cert say that the subjects are done in almost the same amount of detail. I believe there are studies that say the same, but I can't find them right now...

Wow. I didn't know that. And an A in A-level is worth 150 CAO points. Looks like the leaving certers are being short changed bigtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I've done some tutorials with A-levellers in my course, and it seems to me that their science knowledge is noticeably deeper than mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Lawliet wrote: »

That is simply not true. Chemistry in particular! Guy in my year did olympiads and he was competing against students from the north who said the stuff they were covering wasnt that much of a step up from A-level stuff while he had to do a load of work to get up to that level (He still went on and did better than them all though......:P but he is an exception to every rule)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Fad wrote: »
    That is simply not true.
    I'm just saying what I heard; I had a friend who did one year of the A levels before moving to Ireland, and according to her the work load for each subject is pretty much the same. But then she didn't do any science subjects.

I'm pretty sure I read something about UCAS a few months ago, apparently they were planning on changing how the A levels measured up to the leaving cert. Can't seem to find it now though, beginning to wonder if I imagined it :rolleyes:

Advertisement