Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice on bying a car in cork without seeing it?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    have come across a 2003 320d with 47k on the clock going for just over 10grand. It sounds like its good value with a decent spec. Problem is that its in cork and im in dublin. I cant get off work at the min and the lad inthe dealership said that it'll prob be gone by the weekend. theres a link to it below but there are no photos so i cant really judge anything apart from what been said over the phone.
    Its gonna come with a 6month warranty and a service history. Is there any advice out there on what i should do with regard to it ? is there anyone in cork close by that could have a look at it on my behalf? as i dont want to commit to it having not seen even a photo of it...
    any help appreciated
    http://www.douglasrenault.ie/used_cars/index.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

You are gonna buy a car without seeing a pic of it/viewing it/test driving it?

Are you taking the piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

The general advice is do NOT buy without seeing it and having a trusted mechanic give it the once over.

I'd have difficulty believing that it will be gone by the weekend but if it is then keep looking. There are plenty more BMWs in the sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

I'll go one better for you, how about you give me the 10 grand I'll get the train down and pick the car up for you ;) honestly I will return it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks for the constructive criticism one and all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Find a decent mechanic in Cork to go over the car fully for you. Is it an import? Check service history.

If it's all good, then maybe place a small deposit on the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

...well at the very least ask them for the full reg of the car and bang the details in to www.mywheels.ie you'll know how many owners and if the car was an import etc..

Defo get a mechanic / engineer to have a look.. and look at the car yourself! It's amazing how something like a small fault/squeek can annoy you about a car such that after 6 months you'll hate it! :)

Anyway, on the day you'll want to face the dealer and haggle the price down some more... afterall you have cash and he wants it badly.

Best of luck,
    Car Muppet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Hi guys,
    have come across a 2003 320d with 47k on the clock going for just over 10grand. It sounds like its good value with a decent spec. Problem is that its in cork and im in dublin. I cant get off work at the min and the lad inthe dealership said that it'll prob be gone by the weekend. theres a link to it below but there are no photos so i cant really judge anything apart from what been said over the phone.
    Its gonna come with a 6month warranty and a service history. Is there any advice out there on what i should do with regard to it ? is there anyone in cork close by that could have a look at it on my behalf? as i dont want to commit to it having not seen even a photo of it...
    any help appreciated
    http://www.douglasrenault.ie/used_cars/index.html

Wouldn't buy a car without seeing/test driving/ having a mechanic check it in a million years. Also that line about it being gone by the weekend is pure fantasy on the dealer's end, trying to hurry you up.

You could go down there in two weeks or whenever you can get off work and it'll probably still be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

did he say which weekend it would be gone by?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

I find it hard to believe a 2003 320d has only 47k on the clock for that money.Could be clocked,ask him for the reg,check service history etc.No way will it be sold by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

10 Grand is way to much for that car, you should be aiming for a 05 at that money, maybe not the new shape, don't mind the prices on the internet..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

CarMuppet wrote: »
    ...well at the very least ask them for the full reg of the car and bang the details in to www.mywheels.ie you'll know how many owners and if the car was an import etc..

That is a good site. It gives way more info than what you get for free on the pay sites :D

As to the OP's question, it has been answered. Never buy a car you have not seen. There are plenty of BMW's out there and chances are it will not sell that fast... unless of course you have just advertised to Cork boards members that there is a bargain to be had and someone snaps it up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

They do a lot of imports. Ex UK stuff, a few years old.

You're also barking mad to be considering this. If it's still there weekend after next PM me and I'll take a look at it for you if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi guys,
    have come across a 2003 320d with 47k on the clock going for just over 10grand.
    If you're going to spend 10grand, you're a fool not to check it out.
    CarMuppet wrote: »
    Agreed. If they don't want to give you the reg plate, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
    Body kit, Rear spoiler, Sideskirts
    From that bit of info, I can see why there's no picture: the car has been modified, and maybe badly. Also, as modified cars are usually driven around a lot, 47000 miles seems rather short.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Probably chipped too.

Don't mind that twat of a dealer - he's probably had it for six months. There's bucket loads of them around - if you don't get that one, there'll be plenty of others.

Take your time, never fall for a particular car, there's 100s of them about and they're all the same. I'd take a peak at her for you but this weekend I have a wedding to go to in Kerry and I'm only in Cork at the weekends. It will be there for weeks more anyway I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Having read the ad I don't know that i'd even travel to look at that car, much less buy it unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jerry2623

If you are looking for a second hand car give Dave Bailey a ring at
    http://www.baileysautopoint.ie/ a grand young fella wont see you wrong. I travel from cork to Dublin get my cars from him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks for all the advice guys. I think im just getting ichy feet with the issues i was having with me own car and as a result jumped the gun with regard to this. If im still interested in a week or so and nothing else crops up, which i hope it does tbh, i will get in touch with those who have offered help.
    THanks again

Advertisement