Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal feedback when user closes window

Options
  • 11-11-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm making a website with a paypal checkout button. I have my own cart and send the payment to paypal, which then returns the order information when the user clicks a "Return to Shop" button. My problem is, what if the user doesn't click the return button and simply closes down the browser? Unless this can be handled then I don't see any way of handling shipping, orders etc via the website as oppossed to using paypal. Is this the case, or is there a way of returning the details to the website?

I'm using asp.net 2.0 with c#

Thanks.

The answer for those who are looking
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

capture the details before the user is directed to paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

OK so if a payment verification is not returned to the website, i.e user closes browser after paying, then its just a case of manually checking if the payment was made by checking your website order details against your paypal payment details? Or is there a better way of handling it?

Thanks.

There's a better way of handling it. There's tons of cart/payment systems out there with paypal integration, and any worth their salt won't rely on the user clicking the 'back to merchant' button, it's just down to what you choose from there on.

I'm sure there is a way but I'm obviously on here looking for advice because I don't know how to do it. Can you give me a hint or is it a trade secret?

not a 'trade secret', i've told you the best approach, it seems you want someone to actually do the work for you? It's not as simple as 'do x or y'

• Advertisement

Excuse me? You haven't told me anything. don't be a smart ass.

I was trying to help and set you in the right direction, as if you're relying on the user to comeback to your site after payment, quite simply your doing it arseways. Thanks for the attitude, makes this forum much more interesting. Post reported.

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    Post reported.
    Likewise. You haven't answered my question. How do you get feedback from paypal when the user closes the browser. Its not information you can gather before going to paypal. you're being a smart arse telling me there's tons of ways of doing it without actually giving me any advice on how to do it. My guess is you don't know either.

20goto10 wrote: »
    Likewise. You haven't answered my question. How do you get feedback from paypal when the user closes the browser. Its not information you can gather before going to paypal. you're being a smart arse telling me there's tons of ways of doing it without actually giving me any advice on how to do it. My guess is you don't know either.

Reported for what? not doing your job for you? I gave you advice, short of doing it for you I can't do anything else. I'm sure you'll get tons of people giving additional help with that attitude. Lately there's been a few people like you who come onto this forum expecting a quick fix, and someone to do their work for them, hopefully this doesn't continue as it defeats the point of having a section like this in boards.

Your guess is wrong, but you're welcome to your opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

He said "There's tons of cart/payment systems out there with paypal integration" which is a sound advice and should solve your problem in no time. Just install such a system and you'll be able to present the order summary without the customer having to manually return to your website. Have you missed this post?

• Advertisement

herya wrote: »
    He said "There's tons of cart/payment systems out there with paypal integration" which is a sound advice and should solve your problem in no time. Just install such a system and you'll be able to present the order summary without the customer having to manually return to your website. Have you missed this post?
    It does not answer my question. Let me simplfy my question, how do I get feedback from paypal when the user closes the browser?

It doesn't matter now the thread is ruined.

Please delete/close.

Reported for what? not doing your job for you? I gave you advice, short of doing it for you I can't do anything else. I'm sure you'll get tons of people giving additional help with that attitude. Lately there's been a few people like you who come onto this forum expecting a quick fix, and someone to do their work for them, hopefully this doesn't continue as it defeats the point of having a section like this in boards.

Thread flaming. You've ruined the thread. Thanks a million.

I'm not looking for a quick fix. I'm looking for advice, it's bound to be a common problem for which the common solution seems to be use paypal to process your orders. I want to find out how can I handle orders using the website which requires payment feedback from paypal which you don't get until after the fact. My problem is the user can simply close the browser.

My problem is the user can simply close the browser.

Jesus you just don't read. For the benefit of anyone else with a similar issue - That is NOT your problem. Paypal or any other site for that matter cannot send information on browser close. Your problem is that you haven't already collected the information needed.

mmm ok you just don't want to share the information is that right? So why are you even posting on here? Like I said, thread flaming.

So why are you even posting on here?

First thing you've said that I agree with.

It does not answer my question. Let me simplfy my question, how do I get feedback from paypal when the user closes the browser?

You don't. You can't. Your system is not designed well if you even face this problem.

Jesus you just don't read. For the benefit of anyone else with a similar issue - That is NOT your problem. Paypal or any other site for that matter cannot send information on browser close. Your problem is that you haven't already collected the information needed.
    No that is not my problem, I have already explained my problem. What you are suggesting is wrong. I cannot send out an order on the assumption that the payment has been processed. I need feedback or I need to do it manually. Manually works but I'm wondering if there is a better way. That is my question and you still haven't answered it.

Clearly this forum is the wrong place to come to ask for advice.

Clearly this forum is the wrong place to come to ask for advice.

... if you can't read. EOT.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. you need the information.
    2. the user goes to paypal, hopefully pays but may not come back to the site.

You can either collect their info before they go to paypal or you can check if they included their details into paypal and manually collect it that way.

You were given advice and I fail to see any other way to do this despite your refusal to accept it.

• Advertisement

I have found the answer I was looking for:

You need to setup an IPN (Instant Payment Notification) page.

1. Payment gets made
    2. Paypal fires off the information to your IPN page
    3. capture the info in your IPN page (this includdes buyer information which cannot be captured before hand because you can alter it pre payment, payment details, payment status and lots more goodies)
    4. process the order.

Kbannon, the advice I was given was an insult. "There's plenty of sites out there that can do it" and "get a paypal module and stick it in your site." I called them on it and they descended this thread into a slagging match giving the appearance that they have the information I need but were "not going to do my work for me".

I'd like to know what is going to be done about this carry on. It's disgraceful. Arrogance suggests that you have something to be arrogant about, but these guys need a different word altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have found the answer I was looking for:

You need to setup an IPN (Instant Payment Notification) page.

1. Payment gets made
    2. Paypal fires off the information to your IPN page
    3. capture the info in your IPN page (this includdes buyer information which cannot be captured before hand because you can alter it pre payment, payment details, payment status and lots more goodies)
    4. process the order.
    I set up an osCommerce shop. We had issues where people were not returning to the shop site to finalise the order.

There is an osCommerce add-on that records the order details before the user is sent to the PayPal site. The order is marked as incomplete.
    When the payment is completed the IPN bit contacts the web site which marks the order as complete. Then it doesn't matter if the person returns to the site.

I found the IPN docs somewhat overwhelming. I suggest looking at the osCommerce add-on for ideas.

OK I stand corrected re IPN. Which doesn't change the fact that the advice you flipped at was perfectly good and helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

20goto10, if you don't find an answer satisfactory there are better ways that personal abuse to try to communicate that. The information you were given may not have been as complete as you would have liked, but refrain from name calling in future.

Also, (not directed any anyone in particular) reporting posts is not free reign to take off on a downward spiraling tit-for-tat.

We're done here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement