Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get commercial tax??

Options
  • 11-11-2009 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi, i bought a van a few months ago and when i went to get it taxed i had to pay the full amount of €162 for 3 months. i presumed i only had to pay €280 for the year under commercial tax. the problem been that i'm currently unemployed and not using the vehichle for work purposes. seeing as i have to tax it again the start of november is there any way i can avail of the commercial tax without having a job?..thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Strange one :confused:

I have a commercial and I don't have any trouble taxing it.

Did you hand over a DOE cert when you went to the tax office?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You don't need a job, yet, you just need to abide to only use the vehicle for goods. The previous owner probably had it taxed privately for their own reasons and the same class has just been carried over to you. If you intend to use it for business, fill in this form: http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/MotorTax/ApplicationForms/Thefile,5706,en.pdf and get it stamped at a Garda Station. You should ring up the tax office and see if it has ever been used for commercial goods, if so, they will have a record of the weight etc, if not, you'll need to get it weighed at a weighbridge and bring in the docket to the tax office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 yomf

thanks for the responses. the previous owner had a doe cert and i showed this to them when i was taxing it but was told that i would have to be using the vehicle for work purposes.

seeing as i am currently unemplyed and drawing the dole i'm not actually using it for work. i told them that i was looking for work in construction and that it would help me get a job if i ha my own van but i was told it was a new policy now that you must show proof to be using the van for work.

on the 'goods only declaration' i don't actually have a business of my own or a trade so what do i fill in here??

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mikewest

I can't remember the number of the form but the tax office or Garda station will have it. It is a statuory declaration that vehicle xyz is a goods vehicle and is signed off by the Gardai. You will need to fill in your trade/business as the purpose for use of this van but being unemployed may leave you in a bit of a bind on this one unless you can state something like musician/artist where you would still be available for work as unemployed but may have a trade necessitating the use of a goods vehicle which is currently not generating income or full time work. An unemployed plumber or plasterer (insert trade here) would need a van to carry his/her tools if he/she got work again also.

Yep Mike, I linked to that form above :) It's for vehicles under 1.5tn though, what van is it you have yomf? I've never been asked to prove that I have work for taxing my vans so that's strange? Perhaps just fill in that you are a labourer. I think as long as you get it signed by the Garda, the tax office will probably go ahead and give you the tax. I find it a bit odd that you can't get it taxed for prospective work, how else are you supposed to start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont know anyone having to prove that they are actually working to get commercial tax.
    Fill out that form and put down whatever you used to do. Who can say then that you are no using the vehicle in connection with this trade. i.e. looking for work or doing odd days here & there. You need a valid doe and get it weighed possibly. They will also charge another 6 euro to take the doe cert off you and give you back a cert that looks pretty much the same.

thanks for all the replys. i drive a peugeot partner van. i think the problem i had was that as it is my first van when i went down to tax it i presumed that i would be getting the commercial tax no questions asked. i did'nt have the doe cert with me at the office either, this could'nt of helped my cause. i have the doe cert which is valid till may but will i still have the get the van weighed or does the doe cover this??

Just get the form above filled in and signed at a Garda station, if they ask, tell them you bought it with the intention of using it for work only. Once you have that signed, your valid DOE cert and the money, there shouldn't be any problem if a member of the Garda Siochana has signed it :) Lettuce know how you get on.

ya i will do, thanks again. fingers crossed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP; I went into my local tax office a few days ago, handed them the renewal form and €162, and they gave me my 6 month tax disc (rates are €288 for year, €162 for 6 months, or €81 for 3 months, and can't be done online). No problems, no mention of goods being carried, no problems.

That said, it is commercially insured, but they've never seen a cert (I hadn't filled it in on the renewal either, but they have the DoE and insurance policy number details on their system from when I taxed at the start of the year).

Had you taxed private or goods on your renewal? And at what point did it ask for a goods declaration?

• Advertisement

hi, fey!, i have private on my renewal as the said i had to tax the van as private since i was not using the van for work. i'll have to just go down to the guards and get the form filled out and see how i get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How did the subject of work even come up in the motor tax office?

I've never said anything beyond hello the few times I've taxed my vans. Thats when I've gone myself, normally the missus or my mother does it for me because they have free time. They certainly havnt been asked.

Advertisement