Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is my starter gone?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Car wouldnt start this morning. Had noticed for the last few days that it was taking longer to turn over. This time it barely even made an attempt, less than 1 sec. Not even the sound of when the battery is low and just doesnt have enought umph to start it. Checked battery and there is 12.5v across it with the engine off. That should be enough to start it shouldnt it? battery is nearly 4 years old.

I got the alternator checked recently and that was working fine.
    I tried attaching my jump starter pack and it still wouldnt work but that was a bit on the low side too so am charging it overnight and will try again in the morning.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

make/model would be great.

have a goo at hitting the fuel pump with something hard... seemed to work for my dad but then he got it replaced cos he had to hit it everytime he wanted his car to start ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

have someone look at the volt meter when you are starting. 9.6v and below is a bad battery. Check terminals for corrosion and tightness. Doubt its a starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A fully charged 12v battery would usually show over 14v. Might not have enough power to engage starter solenoid so would not even turnover slowly then. You might get a clicking noise.
    Do you have a battery light on the dash when running? or does the battery charge allowing the car to start better after it has been run for a while?
    If alternator is charging, I would say your battery is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

mickdw wrote: »
    A fully charged 12v battery would usually show over 14v. Might not have enough power to engage starter solenoid so would not even turnover slowly then. You might get a clicking noise.
    Do you have a battery light on the dash when running? or does the battery charge allowing the car to start better after it has been run for a while?
    If its charging, I would say your battery is gone.

Battery might need replacing anyway,Open the cells on it and check that they are filled(about 5mm above the led inside the battery)If the led inside the battery is exposed you need to top it up with distilled water(boiled water cooled down)but the battery is a bit old

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sounds like the battery to me. You'll have a better idea when you get the jumper pack on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

ok so it seems like it is the battery after all.
    Just a quick question on how driving behaviour can effect the life\condition of a battery. The missus uses the car for her daily commute. She cant walk it but its only about a 3min journey in the car. So Mon-Fri the car is started twice, lights & heater put on and driven for 3 mins. Would i be right in thinking this kind of use doesnt give the battery a chance to recharge properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

Scruff wrote: »
    a 3min journey in the car. So Mon-Fri the car is started twice, lights & heater put on and driven for 3 mins. Would i be right in thinking this kind of use doesnt give the battery a chance to recharge properly?

That would affect the battery a good bit. This time of the year there is a huge drain on the battery lights, heater, wipers, rear winndscreen. Would need to bring ur car for a good drive at weekend to charge fully but if a battery is that old any abuse might kill it

Safer to replace battery and not to be nervous about it starting
    :)

Advertisement