Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in London

Options
  • 11-11-2009 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hello,

I am thinking of applying for a course in London for next year (doing my Leaving this year).

Anyway, the course has everything I want and moving abroad is something I would look forward to but I am a but concerned about money.

Does anyone here have any experience of studying London?
    Any advice with regards funding, living costs and accomadation would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 chipsbebo

Thinking of doing the same. I am also very interested in the money situation, and help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I'm applying for a Masters in London Met myself and am hoping that €10k (+€7k Fee's) will see me through the year (rent, food, etc.) but looking at the price of rent I'm not so sure. Anyway, I'd also be interested to hear people's thoughts on how much would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PILOT

Im a first year undergraduate student in london!

Hope my comments dont put u off coming to london. The fees for must cousres are £3250 per year (thats about €3850 at todays exchange rate)

Im living in the student accommodation at the university campus. I pay £4,500 for my room which includes bills( roughly €5,500).

Living in london is pretty expensive. Alcohol is cheaper than at home, but it depends on what night and if it is a student pub. Cinemas are pretty expensive, food shopping is alot cheaper( within walkin distance of me is a tesco, sainsbury and morrisons and the an asda on the outskirts)

Im not gettin the student finace loan so my parents are paying for everything. I feel like its a huge financial burden on them to be paying so much on tuition fees ( about £12,00 by the time the three years are finished) considering that the tutuion fees are nothin back home!

Then there is other expensive such as flights home and can you afford to live in england if the exchange rate changes dramaticallly.

If you have the option of doing your course in Ireland do it there and save yourself alot of money in the meantime !

Any other Q's about student life in London?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Would you know what the main universities are??

ie. the London equivalents of Trinity, UCD, DCU, DIT etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

I"m moving from Germany (super cheapness) to London for my MSC next year. From what I've seen, if you can get into a student residence you do save some money on rent, and extras such as electricty are included (handy at the end of the month). There seem to be a collection of about 12 inter collegiate residences which have allocations for the different univerisites.

Popular/big deal unis in London, UCL, LSE, Kings, Imperial, Goldsmith, St. Martins, possibly SOAS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PILOT

Some other universities in london to look at include: London Met and london city university.

Then further on the outstkirts there is places like Thames Valley uni and Buckinghamshire new university.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kizzle

after applying for London college of fashion, down to the last 150 so really hoping to get in! money is a big worry of mine too though, does anyone know about availability of grants while studying in england?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rainbowkid

If you go to the Direct Gov website.... direct.gov.uk and check out the Education and Learning section you can find out plenty of info about student finance, bursaries and grants.

Best of luck getting a place, kizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

RexMundi wrote: »
    Hello,

I am thinking of applying for a course in London for next year (doing my Leaving this year).

Anyway, the course has everything I want and moving abroad is something I would look forward to but I am a but concerned about money.

Does anyone here have any experience of studying London?
    Any advice with regards funding, living costs and accomadation would be greatly appreciated.
    the irish post a newspaper in england for irish people,have lists of contacts for the irish wishing to move to the UK,for jobs,education,ect .just go onto their web site,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I'm currently doing a course in London, if anyone has any questions on what life here is like, PM and I'll do my best to give you a good answer :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 sabrinaspelman

I'm thinking about going to london for my course aswell - it's where I have family friends etc.

im wondering does anyone know the best university in London to do a journalism course preferably joint with english literature or something similiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 FreeEducation

Hi! I graduated last year from a london uni and would just like to say that it is possible to live on student loans alone. There was no way I could have forked out 10,000 pounds a year alone... If you study in london you get a higher maintenance loan than if you were to study outside london. Always ask your university and check with the student loans company what you can get. It's all worth it in the end. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

Don't forget though, unlike at home where there are bugger all jobs...you can always pick up a part time job in London to bring cash in, and also get to know people outside of Uni.

Good uni's depend on what your studying. If its the arts then London College of Fashion, Central St Martins, London College of print etc are internationally renowned. My sister did a year at London College of Fashion and is now working in film and tv.

In general though, UCL, LSE, Imperial & London Business School are good if you get in.

Advertisement