Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between HL and OL English?

Options
  • 10-11-2009 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if I'm cut out for Higher level English. It was always hard for me, got a C (Higher) in the JC and in each test from 5th year on, I averaged at 40-50%. The only thing I'm worrying is that I'm already doing OL Irish and Maths :o

What are the differences between HL and OL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'm not sure if I'm cut out for Higher level English. It was always hard for me, got a C in the JC and in each test from 5th year on, I averaged at 40-50%. The only thing I'm worrying is that I'm already doing OL Irish and Maths :o

What are the differences between HL and OL?
    Did you get a C in honours or pass English?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Sorry, forgot to mention. I got a C in HL English :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Well like any subject, liking it helps! Higher Level English is a good bit of work, alot of poetry, Shakespear Play, Film study, Novel, Other Play, Comprehensions and the essay.

If you're willing to put the work in then stick at it, but it is a subject that marks aren't handed out easily you will have to work.

Good luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

On the ordinary course you have more choices for the single text, the modes for comparative study are[FONT=&quot] Hero/Heroine/Villain,[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Theme[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and Social Setting, the [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Shakespeare play is optional, and istead of having doing eight poets with six poems per poet, there's 36 poems prescribed for ordinary level (not sure how many of these you have to study).

Personally I think you should stick with higher level, after all a C1 in higher level is worth more than an A1 at ordinary level. [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Have you talked with your teacher and got their opinion? What kind of points do you need for your course in college and how many subjects do you do? You could be cutting it a bit tight. Personally I'd stick it out at higher level as if you got a C in HL English you're probably capable of at least a C in the LC as well. Have you talked with your teacher and got their opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭irishultra

unless u are an immigrant whose native language is not english or have a learning deficency there is no point doing ordinary english imo. the standard expected at higher is very low. a c3 is easily attainable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

more writing

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

poems differ and modes for comparative study is different,poems come up in the exams.More novels and plays to read for comparatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I was in a similar position this time 2 years ago except I had got a D in the JC (higher). I moved down to pass and I have to say I found it very easy!! I got an A2 in the LC without much work at all really. But as posted already a C1 in HL is worth more than an A in pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Lawliet wrote: »
    istead of having doing eight poets with six poems per poet, there's 36 poems prescribed for ordinary level (not sure how many of these you have to study).

The main difference is the poetry; at HL, you have to know essays on poets, at OL, you need to know 18 poems well (even if you don't, the poems are printed on the paper in front of you - easy to make up on the day).

You still need to know a single text and your comparative. Paper 1 has the exact same layout.

Personally, I reckon that anyone who got an honour in JC HL should be able to manage the LC HL paper. I've often put students through the HL course who did OL for the JC.

Anyone who gets an A or B at OL should be doing higher. If you answer all the questions decently on the HL paper, you'll pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 S.Moran

I am currantly in leaving cert as well and i am doing H.L english! I only got a D in H.L in the J.C and i am now averaging at 60% in H.L! It depends a lot on the teacher.But if you can learn off good essay answers you will be fine!!

Advertisement