Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant & don't have a clue....

Options
  • 10-11-2009 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

OMG am 5 weeks pregnant with my first baby!!!!Delighted, but know v little:confused:.....have soooo many q's
    Live in Monaghan area, would cavan or daisyhill be best to go to??? have hear bad reports about cavan maternity????

Can you only go private to daisyhill do you know????

When should i make my first appointment to see my doctor & what should i expect on this visit??? will he take blood??

Am taking folic acid is there anything else i should be taking??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Congratulations!! :)

you should make an appointment with your gp as soon as possible. your gp won't do anything other than confirm that you're pregnant so bring a urine sample and then he'll discuss with you what happens next.and whether you want to do the combined care which is to alternate gp and hospital visits..he'll send a letter to which ever hospital you choose and it's actually nothing until the hospital send you out your appoinment ususally at about week 16, for your blood tests and scan and take all your information and this is when you dicide whether you want to go public private or semi private.. this is quite a long appointment... so much depends on you though.. i'm pregnant with my 3rd and i'm going public with drogheda hospital but because i'm 35 i had to have my hospital appointment and scan done at 9 weeks!!! i was so insulted they class me as an older mother :) but on my last i didn't go for the hospital appt until i was 16 weeks and it was 12 on my first.. so i think it's just a matter of how busy they are and if you have any health issues that would need you to be seen earlier.
    for now though it's just the folic acid and you may have to take iron at 12 weeks your doctor will tell you if you need it..can't tell you anything about the hospitals as i'm not in that area ...
    hope it's some help though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 snowy1234

thanks for the info:) i'm 31 & only getting started!!!

what do you think about getting the swine flue jab when pregnant? am not sure about it.....

anybody got any more info on daisy hill compared to cavan?

thanks again

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have never heard anything about Cavan but only heard brilliant things and praise about Daisyhill.

Congrats:)

Thanks, do you know if you can go public in daisyhill or do you have to go private??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Did anyone else read the title and think

Pregnant & don't have a clue....
    who the father is?

• Advertisement

Ha ha :D

thought i'd get more replies with that one!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well you got me to read a thread I normally wouldn't but I have no advice for you sorry.

Congrats :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

lol no:)

I thought it was agh I dunno how to look after a baby:)

Not sure about Daisyhill having public,I am only aware of private there and not sure how going public would work when it is under the NHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

I had my last two babies in Cavan and can't recommend it highly enough. Staff were absolutely fantastic. Congratulations.

thanks guys:o

when does morning sickness start??

• Advertisement

you might be one of the lucky ones who never gets sick.

finger crossed-though when would it usually start if there is such a thing as usual??

mine always starts in middle of week six.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

Congrats to you both - such an exciting time :)

I'm not sure how it works re Cavan/Daisyhill hospitals but the Dublin ones get booked up very fast and my GP didn't write to the hospital I had to contact them myself to make my booking. This can be an issue if you plan on going private as the consultant can be booked up incredibly early and you might not get your choice of consultant.

Once that's done the next thing to do is put your feet up and enjoy the 35 weeks or so :D

exciting :o & nerve wrecking:confused:

so much to think about-what do you think about the swine flu jab??? am dead against it (i think!!!). don't think it's around long enough for them to know all the side effects....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

that bloody jab...!!! :eek:i have a gammy right hip so i can't sleep on that side i got the jab in my left arm last week..flipping feck.. the injection site swelled up like a little golf ball and it was bloody sore!!! so i couldn't sleep on that side...i can't lie on my back...my husband is so fed up listening to me moaning:D
    anyway they're advising women over 14 weeks to get it as we're high risk... not to scaremonger but you can be 4 times more likely to go into premature labour or develop severe pneumonia.. the only side effect i had was a very sore arm for a few days.. and as well as that baby is now passively protected cos they can't get it til they're 6 months old.. you're higher risk cos the immune system is supressed... but there's lots of info out there but i bet if you ask your doc he'll recommend you get it. you might be lucky and by the time you can get it the scare might be over.. there's lots of debate over it on some of the threads.. if you don't come into a lot of contact with people your risk is lower i'm a men's hairdresser and some men are so messy when they cough or sneeze..:) but it's completely your own decision.. just make sure you inform yourself fully before you say no that's all..
    on the morning sickness i hope you don't get it... about weeks 7 or 8 it can kick in .. fingers crossed you won't get it!! i had it for 4 months from week 8 til week 25 it was the best diet i never went on!!! lol i can fit into jeans i haven't worn for years!!! :) there's a really good morning sickness thread too!!!
    this is my third baby and yet with all the info i picked up here in the last few weeks i'm raging i didn't find this place sooner... like years ago!! and it's great for an auld rant too...!! it's so hard not to stress and worry that everything's going to be ok..but you're in a good place for asking all the questions that you only think of when you've left the docs or the hosp..!! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I got the jab the first day it was available, it was a no-brainer for me. I was lucky to have no side-effects at all.

Found out today a girl at work has the swine flu and she's currently in hosptial with it (she's due the same week as me).

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

snowy1234 wrote: »
    OMG am 5 weeks pregnant with my first baby!!!!Delighted, but know v little:confused:.....have soooo many q's
    Live in Monaghan area, would cavan or daisyhill be best to go to??? have hear bad reports about cavan maternity????

Can you only go private to daisyhill do you know????

When should i make my first appointment to see my doctor & what should i expect on this visit??? will he take blood??

Am taking folic acid is there anything else i should be taking??

Hi Snowy1234.
    I'm a first timer too. I'm about a week ahead of you. I am orig from Cavan and if I still lived there I would be more than delighted to go there. They are fantastic. They have no airs or graces and are only want the best for you and your baby. My sister went through such a hard labour and they were so good to her. One even stayed on after her shift just so she could meet the baby before she went home!
    Daisyhill will cost you about 3k. I am sure its a fantastic place but that 3k will go a long way else where in like nappies and formula and bibs and stuff.
    I will def get the swine flu jab. I do flu very well at the best of times!
    Good Luck and Congrats:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tara2

hi thats great that ur pregnant,in 19 weeks and know how u feel! iv lots of questions 2! keep talking ur folic acid and if i were u id make a app to see ur gp right away,no need to worry but its allways better to get a check up and maybe they will send u 4 a early scan,take it easy and pray u dont get morning sickness! best of luck x

hi guys, had 1st appointment with doc today-told me i need to decide on which consultant i would like to attend in cavan general hospital-i don't have a clue?? anyone able to recommend one 2me??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

snowy1234 wrote: »
    hi guys, had 1st appointment with doc today-told me i need to decide on which consultant i would like to attend in cavan general hospital-i don't have a clue?? anyone able to recommend one 2me??

Hi Smowey1234. Let me ask my sister and see who she had. I'll get back to you.

That would be great RuthieRose, thanks:o

Don't know how to spell it, but dr Syed is great

when i was in the docs yesterday, she was talking about foods i should advoid,she mentioned soft cheeses, does this include philidelphia...

No. It's made from pastuerised milk, it's grand provided it's in date.

By the way in the UK they no longer advise you to avoid peanuts.

thanks das kitty, thats great. my doc wasn't great with the info y'day-this is my 1st pregnancy so my knowledge is limited.....

she just took my blood pressure, told me to avoid alcohol, smoking & soft cheeses..

are there any other foods i should avoid??

Check out the Bord Bia website.

The one thing I was pissed with my doc for not telling me was to avoid HOT baths, warm ones are fine. I had a couple of hot baths early on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Patés, raw seafood and meat that is not well cooked.
    Common sense applies: if the food is not fresh: don't eat it.
    Wash your fruits and veg really well.

I'm 11 weeks pregnant and working on all this for the first time myself!

Congrats!

what can you take for heart burn & constant hangover feeling:confused:??

• Advertisement

Gaviscon, or rennie tablets are good for heartburn

Advertisement