Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

458 Italia - no stalks ?

Options
  • 10-11-2009 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

I was reading there that the new 458 doesn't have any indicator or light stalks.. just buttons on the wheel.

Now I have to ask - why bother ? If it ain't broke and all that surely ?

Not too worried about the indicators to be honest but the dip/mains and wash wipe need to be as assessable as possible surely no ?

Could I sue Mr Ferrari if I wrap my 458 around a pole because I wasn't able to clear the screen fast enough ?

Is this "progress" for change sake ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Do most new cars not have a dial rather than a stalk for the dips/mains anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I wouldn' indicate if I had a car that expensive anyway. You plebs would be far beneath me by then. :D

Isuzu still put their stalks the other way around, indicator on the right and wipers on the left. Very annoying. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

RobAMerc wrote: »

It's evolution! and all that doesn't bother me, what bothers me is that going forward they don't plan on producing manual cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Could I sue Mr Ferrari if I wrap my 458 around a pole because I wasn't able to clear the screen fast enough ?
    The buttons are on the wheel so there's no need to take your hands off. It actually makes it a lot easier and faster to clear the windscreen, so I would imagine any attempts to sue Ferrari would fail miserably. Methinks all cars will have this in 10 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

I was reading there that the new 458 doesn't have any indicator or light stalks.. just buttons on the wheel.

Not too worried about the indicators to be honest but the dip/mains and wash wipe need to be as assessable as possible surely no ?

you think if it works we shouldnt bother trying to improve it? why not? same story with the manual gearbox, ferrari have developed the best paddle shift gearbox ever in a road car, its standard now but when it wasnt it was the most popular option even though it was one of the most expensive at around $10K. good move by ferrari imo, seeing as only 7-8% of ferrari customers stick (no pun intended) with the manual box. dont forget that ferrari is a business first and foremost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Berty wrote: »
    Isuzu still put their stalks the other way around, indicator on the right and wipers on the left. Very annoying. :rolleyes:
    Ergonomics-wise that actually is the RIGHT way round. In order to properly operate your indicators you'd want to use the hand that is not busy shifting gears ...indicating and gear shifting often happens to co-incide so ergonomical best practise is to place them on the left on LHD cars and on the right in RHD.

You've just become too used to botched LHD to RHD transfers where the designers saved a few cent and left the stalks as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

In my opinion, I don't think Ferrari have made a nice car since the 355. Everything since has been about technology and has lacked the delicate beauty of previous models.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Do you think we will see one on Irish plates withing the next 12 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Do you think we will see one on Irish plates withing the next 12 months?

If the property market recovers maybe.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

peasant wrote: »
    ...indicating and gear shifting often happens to co-incide so ergonomical best practise is to place them on the left on LHD cars and on the right in RHD.

It shouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

deadlast wrote: »
    It shouldn't.

I take it you never drive in town traffic ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

peasant wrote: »
    I take it you never drive in town traffic ? :D

I use indicators to show other drivers my intentions(I appreciate when others do it)... Its rare I know!

Advertisement