Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high street/William street crossing.

Options
  • 10-11-2009 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

This crossing must be the most dangerous in Ireland. If you are a pedestrian - you really take your life in your hands! Can't the Corp. do anything that would put People before Cars! It's a complete free-for-all, but cars seem to ignore the rules - whatever they are - and pedestrians lose out. Even orange flashing lights would help.
    Any opinions. It's been like this for a long time. Do the powers that be really care!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Maybe cross at a different part of the road?? I notice driving in the city that Limerick people tend to walk on the roads rather than on the footpath. Why cars before people?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cairnrua

If you look at this intersection on Google Earth you'll see People have no choice. No matter which way you are walking - you Have to negotiate this spot. The problem is that the flow of traffic is from three directions on this cross-road and though I don't blame the drivers as that's the situation - there is absolutely no provision for pedesterians short of taking a chance by standing and then dashin' through/weaving through the half stopped traffic. Most days the flow of traffic during the daytime is pure bedlam! As drivers force their way out or across the road.
    Walking across thus becomes a nightmare - particularly for the older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It's actually a joke that intersection. I hope it's closed off as soon a possible and pedestrianised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Yes it is a dangerous intersection, for cars and for pedestrians.

but for all you pedestrians who are concerned about safety, walk 100m to the gerald griffin st intersection and cross at the pedestrian crossing. But Limerick people we are too lazy for that. Yes it's inconvenient but at least it's someplace safe to cross until LCC can do something about it.....that is if the op plans on doing more than complaining about this online.

What are you suggesting - if I'm walking either up or down William St. - I have no choice but to cross at High St or if on the other side Wickham St. Thus your suggestion to go back to Gerard Griffin St. does not apply. That crossing is only useful if coming into city and in any case you still have to navigate the Wickham St. crossing, which is hardly that safe - as traffic are either edging out to shoot across to High St. or doing the same to turn right into William St. So still no decent way to get down or up William St.

• Advertisement

Oh right, you're talking about crossing high st, or wickham st, and not crossing william st, well if i'm honest, i've never had any problem crossing wickham st or high st, the traffic is usually so backed up trying to get onto william st that it's easy to just walk through the stopped cars. the only issue i can see up there is trying to cross william st, and as i said before, there is a pedestrian crossing at gerald griffin st. while this is not ideal, and there could prob do with another crossing further down william st. you're not going to get the issue resolved here, you'd be better off going to LCC roads department about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Maybe cross at a different part of the road?? I notice driving in the city that Limerick people tend to walk on the roads rather than on the footpath. Why cars before people?

people that drive are completly up their own arse about pedestrians. car drivers are more in the wrong than pedestrians

foinse wrote: »
    Yes it is a dangerous intersection, for cars and for pedestrians.

but for all you pedestrians who are concerned about safety, walk 100m to the gerald griffin st intersection and cross at the pedestrian crossing. But Limerick people we are too lazy for that. Yes it's inconvenient but at least it's someplace safe to cross until LCC can do something about it.....that is if the op plans on doing more than complaining about this online.

hope thats city council and not county. there seems to be alot of people here that dont know who runs what.

and why should pedestrians obey the rules of the road when drivers dont. council should have crossings on every street which they dont

Paulegend wrote: »
    hope thats city councilk and not county. way too many thick people here.

and why should pedestrians obey the rules of the road when drivers dont. council should have crossings on every street which they dont

First off paul i hope you weren't insinuating that i'm thick with that comment. and secondly of course i meant Limerick City Council, (LCC) Limerick corporation hasn't existed for quite a while now. As i said in my previous posts, the current situation is not ideal, but it's the situation we have, and whining about it on an internet forum is not going to change the situation. If the op has a serious concern then he should contact LCC and inform them of his grievance, and try to get them to do something about it. The more people who do this, the better the chance of the council listening.

foinse wrote: »
    First off paul i hope you weren't insinuating that i'm thick with that comment. and secondly of course i meant Limerick City Council, (LCC) Limerick corporation hasn't existed for quite a while now. As i said in my previous posts, the current situation is not ideal, but it's the situation we have, and whining about it on an internet forum is not going to change the situation. If the op has a serious concern then he should contact LCC and inform them of his grievance, and try to get them to do something about it. The more people who do this, the better the chance of the council listening.

crap sorry dude i can see how you thought i meant you. but alas no im not calling you thick. just saying that there are alot of idiots on here that havent a clue whos in charge of what.

theyll always be the corporation though:D until we all go beserk after the next budget and take our city by force and desband from the rest of the country. we could allie with china. they have a billion idiots that could fight for us.

i agree with you to a degree that there is no point just bitching about it here. but its good to raise these points online to make more people aware. this alone wont change anything but maybe have a few people bitchinmg to the relevant athorities be it the roads commite or the town planning commite. there is always a better chance of change if the voice calling for change is loud enough.

again apolgies for the seeming to be calling you an idiot ill edit the post

• Advertisement

No worries Paul, it seems i just took you up wrong, no harm done.

There are plans for a major overhaul of William Street, with a budget set aside for it,this is to start after the city orbital route is put in place, it's to coincide with the pedestrianization of O'Connell Street from William to Roches Streets. This plan is to make the city more pedestrian friendly and there will be more pedestrian crossings on William Street as a result.

its a great idea in fairness. they more pedestrianised the city the more attractive it is to potential investors tourists and shoppers. i really think the city could benifit from promoting the historical side of the old irish and english towns.

also i was in belfast back in august. they have a huge underground carpark underneath the city(obviosly not under the whole city that would be just nuts) but we could also benifit with something like this as we could get rid of some of these ugly car park and solve the parking issues such as keeping car parking off the city center streets.

the orbital ropute looks like a greatb idea but the exit from sexton street to parnell street looks very narrow to carry a main road flow of traffic. does anyone know if they are planning to widen this whe the orbital route comes into effect?

It's great to see people interested in the above. Thank you for your enlightening responses, especially on hearing that maybe sometime soon we will have a more normal flow of traffic. Pedesterians too have to be more careful and keep an eye on the unexpected at this junction.
    I'm lucky enough to be able to move fast while watching out - but the reason I posted this was that last monday An elderly person had to dash back or be hit because she didn't see a car rushing directly across from the Wickham St exit. I've also seen prams etc having difficulty squeezing between semi-stopped cars - half way into High St and William St.
    I know that Drivers in general do their best to avoid this situation.
    Maybe discussing it here draws attention to all concerned. The future does look Bright for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

This crossing it actually a death trap don't know how anybody hasnt got knocked down or any major crashes??

Its a 50/50 for both pedestrians and cars it just is such a bad crossing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rant rave

With a look around, you can see poor planning is too blame.

Between Parnell St., Wickam St., William St. and Sexton St. you can see how the congestion would be a problem, the whole area now gets gridlocked and cars are pushing/shoving to get into lane etc.

As stated above a amber light zebra cross would work.
    But it is only in recent years it is needed, before you could cross safely.
    Due to bad planning, the area has become a congestion hot spot, which has raise the question, who is making these decisions in the council, the Limerick city planner top floor in city hall.

We need to make a post/petition to get Limerick people back behind the steering wheel and back on course, because around 20 years of hard graft has been ruined in about two years, leaving this city the derelict mess it is.

Lobby the council, take no more s*"t, don't let someone get a free ride when it is your money funding this disaster.

(i.e. The Opera House, Regeneration, road/traffic schemes, City Rates, pushing out new small businesses from the city as foreign franchise's scatter etc......)

When you think about it's our fault because were letting them ride us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Problem solved. Who do I forward my consultancy bill to?

ojimuf.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

just get a buggy and a toddler & push it out to stop the traffic, one of my lads got tailended when he braked to avoid to bringing one of limerick's young citizens to an early demise, no damge to his vehicle however the unfortunate tailgater had some to his bumper

snowman707 wrote: »
    just get a buggy and a toddler & push it out to stop the traffic, one of my lads got tailended when he braked to avoid to bringing one of limerick's young citizens to an early demise, no damge to his vehicle however the unfortunate tailgater had some to his bumper

yea and if the car dont stop you can just have another child:D

Advertisement