Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hibernian Insurance for Young Drivers

Options
  • 10-11-2009 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi

I am adding my teenage child as a named driver on my policy and have been shopping around for a quote. Hibernian have offered me a deal whereby if I insure with them (cost €300) they will add him on to my policy free for 6 months provided we pay €380 up front for him to avail of 10 driving lessons with one of their listed instructors. I am happy to pay for the lessons as my child will have to get lessons anyway. Has anyone bought this insurance and what is the feedback. My fear is that at the end of 6 months, when I have to pay to have him on my policy, will I be charged a huge premium. Hibernian cannot predict what the cost will be.!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Chamonix wrote: »
    Hi

I am adding my teenage child as a named driver on my policy and have been shopping around for a quote. Hibernian have offered me a deal whereby if I insure with them (cost €300) they will add him on to my policy free for 6 months provided we pay €380 up front for him to avail of 10 driving lessons with one of their listed instructors. I am happy to pay for the lessons as my child will have to get lessons anyway. Has anyone bought this insurance and what is the feedback. My fear is that at the end of 6 months, when I have to pay to have him on my policy, will I be charged a huge premium. Hibernian cannot predict what the cost will be.!

Ask Hibernian what happens after the 6 months, best and worst case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Are they quoting you €300 to name him, and is the lessons a condition of that quote? Get it all in writing, including that €300 will be the cost of naming him in 6 months time. If you have it in writing, then it's a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It would be hard for them to say how much it will cost to insure him in the future. Insurance costs in general are rising at the moment.

Moved to motors as I feel it's more suitable.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Worst case, you could terminate the insurance after 6 months if the quote was too large - you should check that you could then get a pro-rata refund of the unused 6 months of the policy. You could then continue shopping around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Chamonix

Thanks all for the replies. I will contact them tomorrow for more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

I did that course of lessons and found the instructor i got to be extremely good.but the reductions they offer are non existant .for the year after they wanted 1400 to add me as named driver.alot more expensive compared to other quotes i had at the time .

Advertisement