Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone own an eBook reader?

Options
  • 10-11-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I'm doing a project on ebook readers and if anyone out there who owns one could answer the following questions I would be v. v. happy!

What type of eBook reader do you have?

Where did you buy it?

How did you first hear about the eBook reader?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of your eBook reader?

What changes would you recommend the manufacturers make to their product?

General comments:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lfti

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moved from Literature. Lfti, this is where surveys/research requests get slotted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DirectEbooks

EDIT - DO NOT USE BOARDS.IE TO ADVERTISE

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Where did you buy it?

How did you first hear about the eBook reader? Media advertising

What are the advantages/disadvantages of your eBook reader? hand to keep with you. Does not have the same feel as reading a book

What changes would you recommend the manufacturers make to their product? A lower price would make them more common place & in time reading them would become the norm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sony PRS-505

Where did you buy it?

It was a gift

Can't remember; probably from first reading about the Amazon Kindle

Advantages:
    Very portable as I travel quite often with work
    Less space needed in the house for books
    Very readable - no more strain on the eyes than a real book.

Disadvantages:
    Format can be a little funny when font-size is changed.

Quicker rendering of pages
    Better categorisation in the library

General comments:

eBooks are too damn expensive - why should I pay close to, or even more than the price of a physical book that must have a far higher cost to the publisher to distribute?

Authors shouldn't delay the release of an eBook just because they don't like the format (see Stephen King).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Sony PRS-505

Where did you buy it?

Sony Centre, Stephens Green

Paul Krugman, on the internet.

Advantages:

-Very useful for reading journal papers
    -Cuts down on paper waste for above
    -Portable library

Disadvantages:
    - PDFs look naff on it
    - Getting the right format (LRF) can be tough and requires 3rd party software
    - Cannot bookmark audiobooks!!!

Solve the disadvantages listed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DirectEbooks

Disadvantages:
    - PDFs look naff on it
    - Getting the right format (LRF) can be tough and requires 3rd party software
    - Cannot bookmark audiobooks!!!

[/QUOTE]

Just to let you know that LRF is a redundant format - Sony discontinued it last year. Your best bet is to buy or convert to ePub. It renders really well on all e-readers and will resolve many of the issues you have been having.

Cheers

Gareth

Thanks for the advice, but the reader works perfectly well with the software I found. I converts PDF to LRF really well. I was more writing for an entrant to the field who was thinking of buying one, because it took me a lot of research to find the right software.

PS: I also tried ePub and just about every other format imaginable, but my issue was with the margins. The software that worked in the end was "pdflrfwin", which takes images of the PDF and removes all margin whitespace to create a larger image on the screen, which is perfectly readable. If anyone has a query about this, let me know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I doubt there's any point in waiting for the OP to reply, but I'm interested about the ePub formatting. I download my books in that format, but more often than not, the font is way too small. When I increase the font size, then it screws up the formatting so I get lots of blank or partially empty pages.

Have you tried using Calibre Library software?

http://calibre-ebook.com/

It works with almost all e-readers, converts all formats and even fetches newspapers for you from websites e.g. Irish Times, Guardian, Time Magazine, etc. It's far superior to Sony's library software.

Might be worth a look. Failing that, try visiting:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll give that a go. I do have it installed, but forgot about it!

Make sure you update it so, because they always improve features, such as conversion.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement