Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics or not? Help.

Options
  • 10-11-2009 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

My situation is I have a 01 petrol Clio with 102,000 on the clock. Going grand for now but I cover about 1,600 miles a month (getting to work and other necessary trips). Costs me about 50 euro for a fill and I get about 430 miles out of the tank. I know, I need a diesel.

So I have about 5,000 saved up over the past year should I

(a) put a loan with this and go to England to get a 2008 Hyundai i30 (I really like this car) and benefit from lower road tax and a nice new car, etc or
    (b) spend the 5,000 grand on a decent diesel (low cc if possible) and put up with the higher road tax in favour of not having a loan hanging over me, paying interest to the bank, etc.

I can't decide!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

neither ..keep what you've got and drive it till it's dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Its a false economy to buy something good to put huge mileage on when another car costing half that will do the same job easily. I'd keep what you have then buy cheap. But if you want a shiny new car badly and you're happy with the depeciation then there's nothing wrong with that either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

You can buy about 4166 litres of petrol for that 5000 euro so I would keep the Clio, unless you really need (want) a new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

Hi all,
    Thanks for the responses. I don't badly want a new car; I'm just a bit worried that the Clio will start acting up as it is getting older and has more miles on it every month. My last car, a great little Micra, started giving me grief at 130,000 which is not too far away with the rate I'm going. I guess I'll hold onto the Clio for a while longer, see how it goes and then consider my options!

Advertisement