Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Comments on & Predictions for Season 4 [spoilers]

Options
  • 10-11-2009 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Enjoying it very much. But! Do people think that Dexter's voiceovers have become a little trite? In seasons 1 and 2 they were often profound and rather poetic. Now, I think that sometimes a lot of the narration isn't really necessary: the audience could intuit much of what he's saying from the body language of the actors within the context of any given scene.

Second: does the show look a little less stylish cinematographically? Hark back to the very first scene in season one: a moon reflected in a pool of water on a blood red sidewalk. Colours and colour temperature seemed a lot more important in season one and two, whereas today I think the show just doesn't look as good.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Furet wrote: »
    Do people think that Dexter's voiceovers have become a little trite?

I love the voiceovers and usually they contain the funniest lines - it can be very funny to see a situation play out and hear what Dexter is really thinking... But they have become mostly comic relief for me above all else so you may have a point that they are not as poignant as they once were.

I'm also not sure I like "ghost" Harry that Dexter keeps seeing and now even talks to directly - in season 1 (and 2? Not sure...), Harry's "directions" were revealed through flashbacks, but these days, Dex sees him and has entire conversations with him. And in this season, they've ramped up Harry's presence even further...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

J-blk wrote: »
    I'm also not sure I like "ghost" Harry that Dexter keeps seeing and now even talks to directly - in season 1 (and 2? Not sure...), Harry's "directions" were revealed through flashbacks, but these days, Dex sees him and has entire conversations with him. And in this season, they've ramped up Harry's presence even further...

I've noticed that too. I thought that at the end of season 3 he had come to terms with Harry's weaknesses and had finally learnt that the code was his only chance. We saw this when Dexter was on the Skinner's table conversing with ghost Harry. He said: "I should have trusted you. Instead I trusted Miguel ****ing Prado." Now we find that yet again he has issues with Harry, and that again, Harry is mostly correct.

Mad theory! Here goes:

What if Deb catches Trinity before Dexter can kill him? You could see how that would play out: Trinity learns that Dex is a serial killer and the two play cat and mouse for episodes 10 and 11 - and then, tragically for Dexter, Deb catches Trinity in episode 12 and he tells the police officers what Dexter is, and Dexter has to flee. Episode 12 is called "The Getaway" after all!

Now, why would Dex have to flee? Well, look at what's happened so far...

Benny Gomez: Missing. The photographer, Farrow: Missing. The female cop: Missing (presumed to have absconded). Two were directly linked to Miami Metro; the third recently had information requested about them from a member of Miami Metro. In addition, Lyla is missing. Lyla was mentioned by Masuka to Quinn in episode 8 of this season. There could be enough evidence to suspect that the Butcher is still at large. Of course there's also Laura Moser's picture still in Dex's desk drawer as far as we know...

Now, on top of all that, what if Deb were to find something in Lundy's stuff, such as a "Bay Harbor Butcher: Unresolved?" type file with a list of suspects on it. In my scenario Deb would learn that Lundy wasn't in Miami solely to find the Trinity Killer, but also to get close to Dexter (his suspect) as well. I'm not convinced that Lundy was 100% satisfied that Doakes was the Butcher. In fact, if you watch S2E12 and listen to Lundy as he remarks on how "compelling" the evidence was against Doakes, it's pretty detectable (I think!) that he was saying it somewhat grudgingly.

Just speculation, tear it to shreds if you so wish... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Some great theories there Furet!

I'd be intrigued to see Dexter forced to flee, but I think that would mean the end of the show as we know it - I just don't see how it would work if Dex was a wanted man.
    Though it would possibly be a more logical ending than any other - he has been very sloppy this season - he's way too involved with Trinity and family now, and has been seen with them by far too many people, I just don't see how if Trinity is killed / disappears by Dexters hand that suspicion isn't going to fall on "Kyle". Add to that all his mistakes as you've listed, and things look dark for him.

My own theory was that Trinity's family, most likely his son, will kill him, or aid in his killing, and Dexter will help with the cover up. But with the recent revelations about Trinity and the reporter being his daughter, maybe that's less likely.

I love the idea of Lundy having left something in his files that points to his suspicions about Dexter, and the idea he returned to Miami partly to get closer to Dexter, I've been watching occasional episodes of season 3 when they show on TV3 (one on right now) and I think you're on to something there. I'd like to see it go that way, but I have a feeling that it won't be this season. If anything, Quinn will become more suspicious and that will carry on into season 5, with some of the loose ends Dex has left behind this season coming back to haunt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Interesting theories indeed Furet :) - some of those would be nice to see because I just can't get over the fact that Lundy, billed to be a legendary serial killer hunter, would simply be so oblivious to Dexter...

However, unless it has already been decided that season 5 is the last, I can't see the writers taking it in a direction of Dex being exposed for what he truly is to everyone. Though I do think that some main character(s) may in fact find out this season.

And would they be able to keep up a entire 12-episode season with Dex on the run? Maybe, but it would definitely have to be the end of the line. Unfortunately, most US shows are not written with a clear end in sight and if the ratings are solid for this season (which I think they are) and the next, I can definitely see Showtime wanting to hold on to the show...

• Advertisement

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Some great theories there Furet!

I'd be intrigued to see Dexter forced to flee, but I think that would mean the end of the show as we know it - I just don't see how it would work if Dex was a wanted man.

True. The writers have said that season 4 will end with a game-changing cliffhanger that will lose the show some fans and gain new ones. To me that must mean either the death of a main character or the discovery of Dexter's secret. If a main character is to die, then I think it would either be Rita or Deb: the death of no other character would truly change the series in a fundamental way. Now, if it's Rita, then season 5 could be terrible, as Dexter will have to mind the kids. Personally I could think of nothing less interesting, and it would certainly win the series a load of new female fans and lose for the show a lot of male fans.
    If it's Deb, then I think that would be terrible, as Jennifer Carpenter is the best actor on the show in my opinion. Her performance in "Dirty Harry", where she has an emotional breakdown and says she's "broken", was one of the best pieces of acting ever seen on Dexter, in my opinion.
    So my money is on someone finding out his secret...
    My own theory was that Trinity's family, most likely his son, will kill him, or aid in his killing, and Dexter will help with the cover up. But with the recent revelations about Trinity and the reporter being his daughter, maybe that's less likely.

I think the car will play some sort of a role in episode 12, and I agree that Jonah will play a pivotal role in the final episodes.
    I love the idea of Lundy having left something in his files that points to his suspicions about Dexter, and the idea he returned to Miami partly to get closer to Dexter, I've been watching occasional episodes of season 3 when they show on TV3 (one on right now) and I think you're on to something there. I'd like to see it go that way, but I have a feeling that it won't be this season. If anything, Quinn will become more suspicious and that will carry on into season 5, with some of the loose ends Dex has left behind this season coming back to haunt them.

I'd always figured that Lundy would play a major part in the endgame for the whole show. I was shocked that they killed him off; and, they keep emphasising his belongings. I noted that in Slack Tide, in one of the final voiceover scene, Deb is wearing the shirt that Lundy wore when they found Doakes's body in the swamp by Jimenez's cabin. I think this may have been a clue that Lundy does have some files lying around -- perhaps not in Miami, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Deb going to see Lundy's daughter and looking through the rest of his notes elsewhere.
    J-blk wrote: »
    However, unless it has already been decided that season 5 is the last, I can't see the writers taking it in a direction of Dex being exposed for what he truly is to everyone. Though I do think that some main character(s) may in fact find out this season.

That's a key consideration actually: I've heard nothing yet about a season 6. If they do have one, then we can forget about Dex being on the run, that's for sure.
    And would they be able to keep up a entire 12-episode season with Dex on the run? Maybe, but it would definitely have to be the end of the line.

Yup. They've had a long time to prepare for season 5 - so they could plan to make it great. I'd imagine they'll start filming it in springtime, so we should start to hear a little about it from January on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I reckon Lundy had suspicions of Dexter, maybe not solid ones but when he was finishing the Butcher case I thought it seemed really obvious that he didn't believe it was Doakes but he had no choice but to close the case.

I don't know what I want from the end of this season. Also can't see how if Trinity is killed that Dexter won't be brought into it one way or another.

True. The writers have said that season 4 will end with a game-changing cliffhanger that will lose the show some fans and gain new ones. To me that must mean either the death of a main character or the discovery of Dexter's secret.

Wow, I didn't know the writers had said that. I'm thinking it could be both of the above - Debs to find out about Dex (at least to a certain extent), either due to her finding Trinity or her killing the reporter chick, and a major character to die as well.
    If a main character is to die, then I think it would either be Rita or Deb: the death of no other character would truly change the series in a fundamental way. Now, if it's Rita, then season 5 could be terrible, as Dexter will have to mind the kids. Personally I could think of nothing less interesting, and it would certainly win the series a load of new female fans and lose for the show a lot of male fans.

If it's Rita, her mother could reappear and take the kids to live with her. Dex could visit them regularly (once every five episodes regularly).
    If it's Deb, then I think that would be terrible, as Jennifer Carpenter is the best actor on the show in my opinion. Her performance in "Dirty Harry", where she has an emotional breakdown and says she's "broken", was one of the best pieces of acting ever seen on Dexter, in my opinion.

Agreed, I wouldn't like to see her killed. While she can be an annoying character at times, she's very good in her role. Plus easy on the eyes.
    So my money is on someone finding out his secret...

What would you think about both his secret being found out, and a major character dying?

Angel / LaGuerta being killed - I could see this (particularly LaGuerta, with Angel moving up to take over her job. Neither of their deaths would bother me much, and it could be that their love story is an attempt to make them more likeable and make the death of one of them more shocking. It's not working for me though, I'd actually be happy if one of them got the chop.

Other than that, none of the other characters are really all that "major". Masuka or Quinn dying wouldn't have a huge impact.
    I'd always figured that Lundy would play a major part in the endgame for the whole show. I was shocked that they killed him off; and, they keep emphasising his belongings. I noted that in Slack Tide, in one of the final voiceover scene, Deb is wearing the shirt that Lundy wore when they found Doakes's body in the swamp by Jimenez's cabin. I think this may have been a clue that Lundy does have some files lying around -- perhaps not in Miami, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Deb going to see Lundy's daughter and looking through the rest of his notes elsewhere.

Impressive observational skills! Lundy haunting Dex from beyond the grave would be a good angle, I agree he was killed off way too early.

What would you think about both his secret being found out, and a major character dying?

Quite plausible. I just read a theory on this site that what might happen is that Deb kills Christine in an act of rage, and Dex helps her by disposing of the body - which would infuriate Trinity, leading him to take Rita out, or maybe even Cody or Astor. If one of Dex's family were to be killed, we could see him dispense with the code and we could have a very bloody series of events to watch, with even Quinn involved.
    Angel / LaGuerta being killed - I could see this (particularly LaGuerta, with Angel moving up to take over her job. Neither of their deaths would bother me much, and it could be that their love story is an attempt to make them more likeable and make the death of one of them more shocking. It's not working for me though, I'd actually be happy if one of them got the chop.

Me too...
    Impressive observational skills! Lundy haunting Dex from beyond the grave would be a good angle, I agree he was killed off way too early.

I found that out on the Dexter wiki I linked to above; then I double checked and found that indeed, the poster who made the claim was quite correct!

Episode 11 Promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_yLbzdf2k

What is Arthur doing in the police station??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

Amazing season this year. Better than 1 & 2 for me, big part of it being down to Lithgow's performance as Trinity. Chilling. Do people think Dexter will eventually face justice when the show does end or will he carry on with his gruesome 'hobby'?

Love to hear some theories/views on his eventual fate!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Episode 11 Promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_yLbzdf2k

What is Arthur doing in the police station??

I'm betting its one of their tricks. Probably getting the swab so he'll be on the run in some way fairly soon i'd say.:eek:

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I'm betting its one of their tricks. Probably getting the swab so he'll be on the run in some way fairly soon i'd say.:eek:

Ah, that would be a good explanation. That fellow that Dexter punches is Elliot I'm betting.

Dexter clearly makes another over-hasty kill in episode 11 - my guess would be that he does so to divide the department's resources to slow down the Trinity investigation.

Glad to see that Dexter's assumed alias of Kyle Butler is coming back to bite him in the ass; and it seems Trinity will kill the two Kyle Butlers listed in the phonebook.

As to why Deb was so afraid before the gunshot went off, sounds like someone is going to shoot themselves and Deb was trying to prevent it. Possibly Christine.

Anyone think next season will see Quinn pursuing Dexter in the way Doakes was? Can see Quinn digging around looking for Lyla possibly.

Does anyone see (spoiler if you haven't watched the preview for the next episode - or can we do that here?)
    Quinn as being the potential suicide / suicide attempt next week? It'd be left of field, but he does repress things, and the Christine thing seemed to hit him really hard.

Does anyone see (spoiler if you haven't watched the preview for the next episode - or can we do that here?)
    Quinn as being the potential suicide / suicide attempt next week? It'd be left of field, but he does repress things, and the Christine thing seemed to hit him really hard.

I doubt it very much... I don't see his character as being critical enough at this point for his death to have any real impact on the story. If Christine dies, on the other hand, then Trinity has every reason to try to butcher Dexter's family.

I doubt it very much... I don't see his character as being critical enough at this point for his death to have any real impact on the story. If Christine dies, on the other hand, then Trinity has every reason to try to butcher Dexter's family.

Yeah, I agree, but it just seems that Christine doing it is too obvious - and we all know how they love to send us one way with the previews.
    And upon rewatching, after we see someone (seems to be a woman / have long hair pulling the gun and Debs shouting "Don't" it cuts to Quinn sitting on a car bonnet outside and reacting to something - the shot I suppose. Could be a completely unrelated thing - the female CI maybe? I just don't think Christine would be out and about with access to a gun so quickly, but maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

From the preview
    it says the last moment of this season will be heart-stopping. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what that will be? My guess is Deb finding out that Dexter is the Ice-Truck Killer's brother... but tbh thats not very heart-stopping as it has been leading up to that since season 3.

Has anyone any other predictions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

My prediction is that Deb saves Dexter by killing Trinity and does so in a way that htey need to cover it up but not before she realises the nature of her brother.

I still think Dexter will kill Christine.

There's a post on a different site from someone claiming to be close to the Dexter set. And they've posted what they claim is the endgame for season 4.

I will post their comments below, but put everything in spoilers. I am kind of sorry I read it, but I can't wait to see it at the same time -- IF it's true of course (and it's a big if). But it does sound very plausible. Anyway, here it is. It's up to you if you read it...
    Ok, here's the real scoop. I have a friend in 'the business' who got a copy of the last ep as a screener. Sorry to spoil it for you but it is in the name of this thread:

Lithgow finds Rita and basically tells him that Dexter is a killer (the guy that Dexter told him he killed). She doesnt believe him, so he starts saying stuff like "does he leave on unexplained trips?" "Does he leave a lot late at night?" etc. He then cuts her, and while she is bleeding out, Dexter gets there. She asks Dexter "are you a killer", and right before she dies, he says, "Yes".

Other shocker: Dexter's sister also finds out that he has killed. She then looks through his search history on his work computer (from Masuka), and finds out that all these people who he searched for, for some reason they just vanish a few weeks later. The episode/season basically ends with her realization that Dexter is a killer.

Oh, and Dexter does not kill Arthur. Arthur is actually killed by his son when he gets home.

So, to recap:
    The two love-birds get caught
    Rita gets killed
    Johnny Lithgow gets killed by his own son (remember last week?)
    Deb finds out Dexter's secret
    Dexter ends the season as a single dad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I am so not reading that.

Guess we haven't long to wait now anyway.

^^ I don't believe it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Lose some fans, and gain others. Well if people aren't already watching for the compelling story lines, and cliffhangers we've seen already, they won't come just for a change in direction.

Personally I think the only thing that would lose some fans, and get some more would be a certain 'liked' character dying. You'd replace their role essentially, and it would lose the viewers who watched for them, and gain some new ones to watch the new actor/actress.

I don't think Debs would be the one. With the real life marriage, it might be a deal breaker. Lose her, lose him.

I don't think it'll be a male character - I think if women are watching this purely for certain male characters, the gore would have put them off a long time ago. I'm probably wrong here, but I think male fans lusting after female characters irregardless of the story is more commonplace than female fans lusting after male characters regardless of the story.

I think it would be Rita for that reason. There are enough fans complaining about her whining. They're already setting up a trust thing with her and the kiss. It seems the kids are more into dexter than she is in a lot of ways. Also, as per the last episode it's already been pointed out dexter has more of a soft spot for the kids. I wouldn't be surprised if she got killed off, and dexter became the sole carer of the kids. Then later finding someone to fill his wife's shoes.

If there's a big reveal it would either be a case of "Revealed, person killed off". That's gotten old though, and I think it's been done too often in shows like smallville as well. Doakes, etc, it would be just a too often used ending to the series. I think it would get old by now.

If there's a big reveal, I think it would be best to make it stick. I don't think dex on the run would work either. Between him and the others, they've shown they can pretty much find anyone they want, even if they stumble a bit because they don't know the identity first.

Maybe either debs, one of the other cops, or masuka. Probably debs because they've been building up on her coming across Dex's mother's file so much over the series, and now has had someone come back who could lead her right there.

If it's debs i'd think it would be very conflicted, as she has been constantly shown playing by the books, and going off Harry when she thought he wasn't completely honest. But then Dex has been there for her so much. Maybe part of the twist is she throws away her 'morals', and lets one go free. But then spends all of next series conflicted with herself while getting more distant from dex, and deciding if she should put her brother down or not.

Maybe Debs finds out the truth about the trips harry and dex took, and wants to learn more about both of them through dexter. They could go back to the sidekick idea again, but with her being more conflicted than Miguel and in season 5, she turns dex in.

Who knows, they might even do a prison break style dex season if he's caught. Maybe the A-Team style of dex getting 'executed', and then going off the grid. With one of the cops thinking he's still alive like Decker in the A-team. Trying to catch him but always being behind him. Maybe even debs.

Maybe we find out in the end Debs was always smarter than Dex, and it just took her in a role of confidence to stand up for herself and clean up the family name.

I'm predicting 'Trinity' to have Debs ready for the kill only for Dexter to arrive to butcher 'Trinity' in a rage in the goriest way possible. Deb will agree to help clean up and dispose of the body using the ocean as the dumping ground.

She'll struggle with guilt all next season while realising that the Bay Harbour Butcher and Dexter have a lot in common

Yay or Nay to my stab in the dark??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Do Dex's family all fit into Tinity's cycle

Cody
    Rita
    Deb/Codys sis
    Dexter

Would be kinda poetic if Arthur went after them all. Two episodes left prob means there is not enough time...

I do think this season will have tail ends to be tidied up next season. Also think there is a fague chance that Arthur might escaspe...

:eek:

Is that Highway Patrol or Sheriff's Dept pinning Dexter to the floor?

Is that Trinity's or Dexter's front door the cops are busting in? Looks like Trinity's.

Debs has picked up on Laura Moser...

Wow...can't wait!

See video chat here with Clyde Phillips from Showtime: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2732822

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I may be missing something obvious here , But the worst thing is deb can realise she is REALLY related to dexter and the ice truck killer was dexters brother.

Nothing about dexters code ?

• Advertisement

Article about the extremely secretive nature of the finale here:
    The final episode of Dexter season 4 is set to air this upcoming Sunday at 9 PM on Showtime. The episode is titled "The Getaway," and looks poised to bring to a head the escalating conflict between our protagonist serial killer and his current nemesis, the Trinity Killer, played by guest John Lithgow.

Ratings have been way up for the season, and anticipation is mounting for fans in these final days as they speculate on the impending outcome of what will surely be an explosive showdown between two murderous foes.

Further proof that next week's episode will blow the minds of Dexter fans: the network and show heads are being even more cautious than usual to protect any spoilers or footage of the finale from leaking before airtime.

Watch a brief clip from Sunday's Dexter finale.

Apparently a twist is coming in the episode that is so unexpected and massive that it will change the entire series as we know it.

And that's saying a lot for Dexter. Shocking plot developments and sudden twists are the show's bread and butter.

The extreme measures of secrecy are proof enough that this rumor has some weight to it. Says Korbi of Zap2It:

"We're told non-disclosure agreements were signed by everyone on staff and at the network, decoy scripts were drafted and disseminated, each and every screener was watermarked and sets were closed to anyone that didn't absolutely have to be around during shooting."

In an interview after the penultimate episode of season 4 aired, titled "Hello, Dexter Morgan," head writer and executive producer Clyde Phillips kept tight-lipped about "The Getaway," except to tease viewers that the conclusion will "blow the top of your head off."

Could that be a hint at the impending demise of a major character--namely the Trinity Killer? Of course, Phillips wouldn't say.

"It's the most exciting episode we've ever done," said Phillips. "And we've done some pretty amazing stuff."

Phillips also revealed that he personally took home the footage of next week's final scene and destroyed it, as yet another measure against any spoilers making their way to the web before Sunday.

Watch the full hour-long interview with Phillips at Sho.com, in which he answers fans' questions, responds to theories, talks about his creative process in crafting the series, and reveals a few inadvertent hints about the finale... if you listen carefully. Fascinating stuff.

Have your own theories on what will happen on Sunday night on Dexter? Share them with us in the comments below!
    http://www.buddytv.com/articles/dexter/showtime-dexter-bosses-take-ex-33188.aspx

Two additional clips from the finale here: http://www.buddytv.com/articles/dexter/dexter-two-more-clips-from-sea-33189.aspx

Soem nice references to season one and the ITK!

Advertisement